What are you wearing to your future interviews?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Drrrrrr. Celty

Osteo Dullahan
10+ Year Member
Reaction score
Do men wear anything other than a suit?

Members don't see this ad :)
And what do you think would not be a good idea to wear to the interview?

I'm thinking about a grey suit something like this:
http://www.lordandtaylor.com/webapp...d-and-taylor/mens/suits/three-piece-wool-suit

I don't like how the pant legs seem to flair out. Jacket and vest are nice though. Make sure you add a colorful tie to make it pop. :)

EDIT: That is a pretty good deal on a suit... I personally am a fan of a more fitted look, so I'd look into getting it tailored to fit your body. That's just my opinion though. :)

Last edited:
You don't need to spend the money on getting a suit completely tailored to you. This isn't a fashion contest and adcoms realize we are generally poor students.

Traditionally, dark colors are preferred for interviews. I wouldn't go anything ligher than a dark grey. Personally, I would get either black or dark grey and would steer away from dark blue.

I bought a dark grey suit myself, light blue shirt and a dark grey tie.

You don't need to spend the money on getting a suit completely tailored to you. This isn't a fashion contest and adcoms realize we are generally poor students.

Traditionally, dark colors are preferred for interviews. I wouldn't go anything ligher than a dark grey. Personally, I would get either black or dark grey and would steer away from dark blue.

I bought a dark grey suit myself, light blue shirt and a dark grey tie.

Hmm... we have very different opinions on clothing. I view clothes as an investment and they should fit well and accentuate your body. Personally, I enjoy fashion and I like to look my best. :cool:

Don't wear something common like a black suit and red tie. Last year I wrote a light gray suit, light blue shirt with a matching tie. I stood out among a sea of generic suits and received complements from interviewees and interviewers alike.

Wore similar. Light grey suit, blue shirt, with a red n blue tie.

Sent from my Galaxy S4

If you have any scottish blood, try the Kilt (which is actually a very formal dress in Scotland, worn during graduation etc)

I wore a charcoal suit, royal blue shirt, and snazzy matching plaid tie. It was nice to not be in blue/black.

1271235137hPIwQ1.jpg

I heard it works every time.

Members don't see this ad :)
Charcoal is the way to go. Keep in mind you'll need a suit for residency interviews in 4 years, so either take care of the suit or be prepared to buy a new one. I ended up buying a new one.

Brookes brothers sometimes has sales like, buy 2 suits for $900 total. I think their suits look nicer than Macy's, Nordstrom, lord and Taylor, etc...

But as someone said, people expect you to be poor and no one is going to care that much.

That's a good deal, by the way. Black and brown stuff is usually pretty nice. I'm wearing one of their shirts and ties right now.

Wear a black suit with a white shirt inside and wear a black tie. Wear black shoes only.

Wear a black suit with a white shirt inside and wear a black tie. Wear black shoes only.

Yea, ignore that advice. Never go black suit AND black tie except at a black tie event or a funeral. I alternated a black pinstripe suit and a charcoal suit. I usually tried to wear a tie that had a school color in it if I could haha (but don't go out and buy an actual school tie or a tie to match the colors exactly- that would be weird aha).

Charcoal is the way to go. Keep in mind you'll need a suit for residency interviews in 4 years, so either take care of the suit or be prepared to buy a new one. I ended up buying a new one.

Brookes brothers sometimes has sales like, buy 2 suits for $900 total. I think their suits look nicer than Macy's, Nordstrom, lord and Taylor, etc...

But as someone said, people expect you to be poor and no one is going to care that much.

That's a good deal, by the way. Black and brown stuff is usually pretty nice. I'm wearing one of their shirts and ties right now.

and take care of your body.

I have a very nice gray suit that I work in my engagement few years ago. Now, I can't fit in it. Marriage.

The vest looks a little weird to me. I didn't see anyone wearing vests at the interviews I went to last year.

Just wear whatever you will feel most comfortable in. If wearing a high price tag makes you feel important, go for it. For me it's very annoying because my shoulders get broader and broader the more I work out, while my waist shrinks. I keep having to get new suits because they can't keep getting tailored. Powerlifter problems, I guess :-D.

A modern grey Burberry suit. Blue shirt, not sure on which tie. And I'm hot, so it doesn't matter what suit I wear really.

Last edited:
A modern grey Burberry suit. Blue shirt, not sure on which tie. And I'm hot, so it doesn't matter what suit I wear really.

:laugh: Never fully dressed without a smile and BUCKET LOADS of confidence...

it doesn't matter that much as long as you are looking professional. A 3 piece suit would do it. A 2 piece suit (no vest) would do it. I wore black coat, pants, shoes, tie and white shirt. It was fine.

People wore all kinds of color shirts and ties. Usually, I saw people with only one "weirder" color or pattern in the ensemble... not like green pants and pink shirt and yellow coat or w/e. Of course I don't know what the accepted people were wearing. As far as the clothes go, I would just play it safe with "normal professional". Your app and your interview will do the talking for you, your clothes shouldn't have to say anything outstanding good or bad.

Just wear a suit that fits you well. Fit is more important than the cost of the suit. Have confidence in your interviews. Be yourself. Get interview practice if you feel like you can't interview well.

Just wear a suit that fits you well. Fit is more important than the cost of the suit. Have confidence in your interviews. Be yourself. Get interview practice if you feel like you can't interview well.

:thumbup:

Agreed!

Just please... let's all make sure our belts and shoes match.

And no white socks, hope that goes without saying.

I'm not a guy and not applying this cycle, but I would stick with grays/black & then white or blue for the shirt.

My only real experience with this is working with jury consultants. Apparently some research shows that people tend to trust you more if you're wearing gray/charcoal/black/navy vs brown, and they pay attention to whether you look clean/clothes pressed & whether your shoes are shined. So take that for whatever it's worth, I guess. :)

Hey guys, I have a black suit that I used for some leadership conference back in high school (not sure if it still fits but I haven't grow much). I am thinking of just using it since I don't wear suits for anything, but what color shirt would you guys suggest if I go with the black suit? Or would you guys strongly be against it? Thanks.

So this question is kind of related...

Should I take out my piercings for any possible future interviews? I have a helix piercing, second holes on the lobes, and a tragus piercing. I currently have very small jewelry in the helix, tragus, and second holes with substantial solitaire studs on the primary lobe holes. Should I take out all of my other non-first lobe ones?

Last edited:
So this question is kind of related...

Should I take out my piercings for any possible future interviews? I have a helix piercing, second holes on the lobes, and a tragus piercing. I currently have very small jewelry in the helix, tragus, and second holes with substantial solitaire studs on the primary lobe holes. Should I take out all of my other non-first lobe ones?

If you're male then take them all out.

This.

I pulled a beige suit off the rack because it fit like a glove with no tailoring. Put a solid red tie with it. Looked great, felt like I stood out without getting too wacky.

But then, maybe beige pairs better with my skin tone? Who knows. For what little it's worth, I was accepted after both interviews I attended.

I am not a man, but if I were, I don't think I would rock the three-piece suit.

I would probably go with a grey suit, blue shirt, and silver tie.

Did you already go to any interviews? I'm a female applicant wondering if I should go try on some skirt suits- I currently only have 1 suit it's dark grey pants suit- thoughts? Any others from interviews feel that women were predominantly wearing one or the other?

I get more flustered over clothing choices than I do interview questions. Need to search the forums to see what women usually wore.

Did you already go to any interviews? I'm a female applicant wondering if I should go try on some skirt suits- I currently only have 1 suit it's dark grey pants suit- thoughts? Any others from interviews feel that women were predominantly wearing one or the other?

The one interview I went on last year, I wore a dark grey pinstriped pant suit from Banana Republic with a beige shell with large green polka dots for a pop of color. I wore a pair of Mary Jane pumps.

I submitted my application way early this year for the AMCAS and AACOMAS, so I'm hoping I'll get more interviews and earlier in the season. If I get an interview invite before September, I will probably go buy a skirt suit and wear panty hose with it just so it'll be more comfortable.

I think if you are comfortable in your pantsuit and feel confident in it, you should definitely just go with it. Best of luck!

I am wearing a black suit with a brown pinstripe with a white shirt and yellow tie to all my interviews (unless they have a rival with the color yellow, then I have a back-up blue tie).