What are your hobbies outside of med school preparation?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

LupaCupcake

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
What are your hobbies? Even if you think it has nothing to do with med school, let us share ^^ I promise to read your posts entirely even if you rant a bit because I know that when I talk about fish I sometimes go into a rant and will give out way too much info that people do not care to know. :)

One of my more prevalent hobbies is...AQUARIUMS! I looooooove aquariums. I have to tell you that I love mermaids as much as little kids love a new toy so my friends joke that I am the "mermaid mommy" to my fish. I enjoy aquascaping (I will post a few pics on this thread to show you the beauty of aquascaping). My latest aquarium is setup for African cichlids, they are aggressive fish that need special care and an environment designed to provide hiding places and territory that they can defend. They are also very fast which makes me giggle when I see them chasing one another and I talk to my fish. Yes....I talk to my fish. It is very therapeutic after a long day at work. They don't reply, but they stare at me intently as if they are very active listeners lol. (they are probably hoping I give them more food).

I do not expect my love of aquariums to get me into med school (hehe), but I will say that I have to carefully monitor the water chemistry and maintain things like carbonate hardness, general hardness, PH levels, nitrate/nitrite levels etc. Many people endure a fish apocalypse when they get an aquarium and wonder why it happened, it is because you need specific water parameters for specific types of fish. If I put my tetras into my cichlid tank the water parameters would kill them unless the cichlids ate them first which they probably would.

Lastly I will give out some free advice for anyone that has or wants an aquarium. Do not put tap water in the aquarium then get fish the very next day. You will probably kill them. You need to cycle the water first and wait until you get a positive reading for nitrates . You can do this by getting a c up of gravel from an aquarium that is already cycled, put that gravel inside of your new aquarium or do what I do and put those rocks in your filter , especially if you have a biowheel. The biowheel will start to build all of that lovely bacteria needed to cycle the water. NEVER clean your biowheel with fresh water, you rinse it off in the aquarium water when necessary. It takes 4-6 weeks to cycle a tank. People even sell cycled water. If you live near me (I am in same city as wake forest university) then I will gladly give you free cycled water and some free plants.
imagesN9WDI7WP.jpg water.jpg images35B5DIN5.jpg

Members don't see this ad.

Reactions: 1 user
My family, anything basically outdoors, hiking, working out (when I can find the time), travel, motorcycling, going on day trips/drives

cool aquariums!

I'm too simple.

Besides my family, the only things that I do are:

1) Work
2) Study
3) Working out
4) Research on diff investment theses

I only need about 5 hours of sleep a day to recharge my battery.

Members don't see this ad :)
I sing! I sing in a very large community chorus that sings at Carnegie Hall every year. We do great classical works. I LOVE it. I've been on the board of directors for a year, too. It's very rewarding.

Reactions: 2 users
We're getting kinda loose with this hobby definition. "family"?
I love mine, but they aren't a hobby.

Work- No!
Studying- N0!
Research- No!

Gunner, you're killin me!

I like puffing my pipe, sipping a nice single malt and reading about a topic of interest.
Teaching the dog new tricks.
Tooling in the herb garden.
Pulling fish out of water.
Turning wrenches on my car.
Trying to keep up a foreign language.
Photographing strange foreign lands.

Reactions: 1 users
We're getting kinda loose with this hobby definition. "family"?
I love mine, but they aren't a hobby.

Work- No!
Studying- N0!
Research- No!

Gunner, you're killin me!

I like puffing my pipe, sipping a nice single malt and reading about a topic of interest.
you're right family doesn't belong in the hobby slot lol :)

Reading. Finished Dune this week. I'm hoping to start Wool this upcoming week. Part way through the Dark Tower series as well. I always read a few at a time.
Movies and TV. I finished Fringe this week and rewatched some good classic black and white movies.
Besides these, I just enjoy spending time with my wife and dog. She works a lot of evenings and I study during the day and have evenings off. If we had better schedules, I enjoy taking my chihuahua to the park with my wife and just walking and talking.

Which language? What kind of camera do you have? I just sold my DSLR in favor of a Sony Nex Alpha series camera. Best decision ever! I use it primarily for food photography, although it's compact enough to take on trips.

Reading. Finished Dune this week. I'm hoping to start Wool this upcoming week. Part way through the Dark Tower series as well. I always read a few at a time.
Movies and TV. I finished Fringe this week and rewatched some good classic black and white movies.
Besides these, I just enjoy spending time with my wife and dog. She works a lot of evenings and I study during the day and have evenings off. If we had better schedules, I enjoy taking my chihuahua to the park with my wife and just walking and talking.

Is Dune worth the massive time investment? All of the cool nerdy people I know have read it. My old geology program mentor was obsessed. It looks intimidatingly thick for light, break time reading.

I have a pretty serious hobby that's been shelved due to how it takes over my life - my website! Photography, cooking, science research, and tooling around on social media all go into it. Gonna try to get back into it after MCAT prep.

Hoping to learn to juggle everything better this year. No family yet! I am in awe of y'all who have a spouse and kids. Can't imagine adding that to this craziness. I suppose it happens when it happens, and you're forced to learn to juggle better? :confused:

Last edited:
Which language? What kind of camera do you have? I just sold my DSLR in favor of a Sony Nex Alpha series camera. Best decision ever! I use it primarily for food photography, although it's company enough to take on trips.

Parlez-Vous français?

I just traded in my DSRL gear for the Panny GX7, m4/3. Smaller, lighter, and easier for the win.

I read all of the Dune books. The first three were good. Dune itself is the quintessential religious sci-fi novel.

The last three got progressively worse. I would read the first one, then only continue if you want to.

I am a huge fan of classic sci-fi. I would be happy to discuss this at length if anyone is interested.

Some interesting stuff ^^

I used to read fantasy genre books all the time, but I am extremely picky. If the book does not suck me in within the first few chapters I don't finish it lol. I mostly read forgotten realms books, they are published by wizards of the coast (people that own D&D and magic the gathering). My inner nerd is showing lol.

For those that read, have you ever tried reading on a kindle versus a book? I got the kindle app on my Ipad and yes it is much cheaper to buy an e-book , but it is just not the same experience for me. I prefer a softback book, I just don't like the digital version of reading.

Is Dune worth the massive time investment? All of the cool nerdy people I know have read it. My old geology program mentor was obsessed. It looks intimidatingly thick for light, break time reading.
Yes it is. I guess I'm biased though as someone who reads a lot and has never even considered length and will sit down on a day off and read for 6 hours. Dune has one of the best settings in sci fi in my opinion. The planet, the politics, the religion, the technology. All really unique, cool stuff.

Reactions: 2 users
Members don't see this ad :)
For those that read, have you ever tried reading on a kindle versus a book? I got the kindle app on my Ipad and yes it is much cheaper to buy an e-book , but it is just not the same experience for me. I prefer a softback book, I just don't like the digital version of reading.

A big part of the experience isn't there for e-readers. I switched to digital books about ten years ago. I had stopped reading because there was no more room in my house for books. I now have access to (quite literally) tons of books at any one time. I remember when I used to pack an entire suitcase full of books for vacations.

I read all of the Dune books. The first three were good. Dune itself is the quintessential religious sci-fi novel.

The last three got progressively worse. I would read the first one, then only continue if you want to.

I am a huge fan of classic sci-fi. I would be happy to discuss this at length if anyone is interested.
:thumbup: what are your personal favorites of the genre?

I used to read fantasy genre books all the time, but I am extremely picky. If the book does not suck me in within the first few chapters I don't finish it lol. I mostly read forgotten realms books, they are published by wizards of the coast (people that own D&D and magic the gathering). My inner nerd is showing lol.

Good for trips. Also good to get a lot of books that are public domain now (is that the right term?). Books are generally cheaper this way too. I still prefer my small chair and lamp in the corner with an actual book but I would love to get a kindle someday.

iPad + kindle app, ftw.

I can plow through books in the dark while others sleep nearby, I can't do that with physical copies.

For articles though, I still like to print them out with red pencil in hand.

I have a fish tank, and thankfully it's doing well. My mistake was to get a 4 gallon for my first one, the parameters have to be watched so closely. We did follow instructions on tank cycling and waited a whole month to put in a fish. Like many first time owners, I assumed a smaller tank would be less stressful. Now I know better!

I am an avid bookworm, and read anything that captures my attention. My favorite topics are travel, military history, occasionally movie books like the Hunger Games or Girl with the Dragon Tattoo and a few guilty pleasures like romance novels. I've never read Dune like the above posters but my interest has definitely been piqued.

Also, nearly anything outdoors: camping, hiking, walking, biking, and my family are avid kite fliers. My largest purchase within the last year was a brand spanking new Trek road bike. It was worth every penny. I'll be riding that all spring and summer with a local bike club to keep in shape, then bike commuting to school to save gas money! It's probably a good thing I plan to bike more, because one of my goals is to try a slice of tiramisu from every restaurant that offers it in town.

If as a pre-med you have time for hobbies, you have time for more EC.

Couldn't disagree more.
My interviewers spent exactly 0 minutes discussing my ECs. We did however spend a non-insignificant portion of time talking about fly fishing and the South of France.

Last edited:
Couldn't disagree more.
My interviewers spent exactly 0 minutes discussing my ECs. We did however spend a non-significant portion of time talking about fly fishing and the South of France.
Good for you. We discussed EC heavily in my interviews.

Parlez-Vous français?

I just traded in my DSRL gear for the Panny GX7, m4/3. Smaller, lighter, and easier for the win.
Nice! I was looking at an older Panny Lumix. They get great reviews. Does it meet or exceed your expectations? I haven't taken a legit photography class, so unfortunately I can't talk shop.

Good to know. :) The fact that you can slog through a boring fiction book says something [positive] about you. I drop 'em like a hot potato if I'm not feeling it.

I do Crossfit and sew quilts. I love lifting heavy stuff :)
Crossfit? Do you think it's worthy investment compared to conventional gym memberships? I'd love to try it, but it's 10x the cost of my regular gym membership. Just not sure whether it'll be that much more beneficial for the pretty penny I'd be paying.

Yes! Like you, I wasn't feeling it. I got really into it though after using the highlight and notes functions extensively.

*record scratch stop* ;)

Last edited:
Singing and currently learning piano
Trying new recipes
Bonfire at the beach
Hiking/bike rides in nature
Binge-watch Game of Thrones
Shopping at farmers markets

I want to get into movie making with a drone but they are expensive and possibly illegal.

Oh ok, so you feel like your app would have been stronger had you spent your hobby time on more ECs?
Yes. Osteopathic Medicine puts strong emphasis on community involvement. Then again this forum is for allopathic too, so I can understand the differences in experience.

@ albinohawk . You need downtime where you relax, whether for you that is watching a tv show or playing guitar or for me, doing aquarium maintenance. Burnout and mental health issues are not rare for medical students, everyone needs something that makes them mellow out. If someone sits and watches a sitcom at night, then your hobby is tv. I personally don't even pay for cable, but to each their own. As someone that works in behavioral health I can't stress enough the importance of coping skills in life. I am the breadwinner of my family, work fulltime in a sometimes stressful and emotionally demanding position, I have to make time for family activities and one on one time with my little girl plus my husband plus my mother plus everything with being a premed.

So yes, I will take my hobbies that help me relax and forget about all of the bills I have to pay or how much school I still have or the fact that I am about to turn 30 in June and for a woman that rather sucks. I will proudly tell someone from a med school that I love aquariums and it is how I spend my downtime.

If it makes you feel any better, I am donating some gorgeous and lush aquarium plants to a young kid that wants some plants. I have one specific plant that is considered large at 18in yet I have grown them to over 30in and could sell these for $$. So I am giving back to the youth with my hobby :)

Sleep. Seriously, I persue that one every chance I get

Oh, and I might be taking a class called "oxyacetylene found object metal sculpture". Yay for learning to weld!

Golf - attempting to reclaim "my game" after having surgeries on both shoulders
Racquetball
Batting cages
Crossfit
Mud runs

snuggling with my Chihuahua
painting (I finally sold one!)
super Mario 64.......I'm not really a gamer in general but I love this one. Got down to 3 hours, 11 minutes!

Crossfit? Do you think it's worthy investment compared to conventional gym memberships? I'd love to try it, but it's 10x the cost of my regular gym membership. Just not sure whether it'll be that much more beneficial for the pretty penny I'd be paying.

Not that this was directed at me, but I don't think it's worth it.

Crossfit is essentially a fancy brand name for circuit training workouts that you can do on your own if you take the time to properly learn the compound movements involved.

Some of them have solid coaches with backgrounds in powerlifting or Olympic lifting. Some of them encourage awful form in compound lifts just so you can "improve your WOD times."

YMMV. You could probably find a place that enforces proper technique with lifts but is it worth the ~$180?

Goro loves reading and being a history buff, playing board wargames. Give m a Guards Tank Army on the steppes of Russia, or a US armored division in the Ardennes and I'm a holy terror.

What are your hobbies? Even if you think it has nothing to do with med school, let us share ^^ I promise to read your posts entirely even if you rant a bit because I know that when I talk about fish I sometimes go into a rant and will give out way too much info that people do not care to know. :)

One of my more prevalent hobbies is...AQUARIUMS! I looooooove aquariums. I have to tell you that I love mermaids as much as little kids love a new toy so my friends joke that I am the "mermaid mommy" to my fish. I enjoy aquascaping (I will post a few pics on this thread to show you the beauty of aquascaping). My latest aquarium is setup for African cichlids, they are aggressive fish that need special care and an environment designed to provide hiding places and territory that they can defend. They are also very fast which makes me giggle when I see them chasing one another and I talk to my fish. Yes....I talk to my fish. It is very therapeutic after a long day at work. They don't reply, but they stare at me intently as if they are very active listeners lol. (they are probably hoping I give them more food).

I do not expect my love of aquariums to get me into med school (hehe), but I will say that I have to carefully monitor the water chemistry and maintain things like carbonate hardness, general hardness, PH levels, nitrate/nitrite levels etc. Many people endure a fish apocalypse when they get an aquarium and wonder why it happened, it is because you need specific water parameters for specific types of fish. If I put my tetras into my cichlid tank the water parameters would kill them unless the cichlids ate them first which they probably would.

Lastly I will give out some free advice for anyone that has or wants an aquarium. Do not put tap water in the aquarium then get fish the very next day. You will probably kill them. You need to cycle the water first and wait until you get a positive reading for nitrates . You can do this by getting a c up of gravel from an aquarium that is already cycled, put that gravel inside of your new aquarium or do what I do and put those rocks in your filter , especially if you have a biowheel. The biowheel will start to build all of that lovely bacteria needed to cycle the water. NEVER clean your biowheel with fresh water, you rinse it off in the aquarium water when necessary. It takes 4-6 weeks to cycle a tank. People even sell cycled water. If you live near me (I am in same city as wake forest university) then I will gladly give you free cycled water and some free plants.
View attachment 180396 View attachment 180397 View attachment 180398

Aquariums?! :oops:
I never would have thought! but super cool... fish are pretty cool to look a... im fascinated how they don't blink and they sleep with their eyes open..

as far as talking to them... I have a confession......

Sorry Lupa, but I enjoy fishing and also, catching, cleaning, scaling, heating, seasoning, and that's right... eating them up.... sometimes I fry them... lmao. sorry.

My hobbies:
-Piano / Listening to diff movements of classical music
-Working on my golf swing
-Soccer / watching the world cup and or Champions League
-I enjoy outdoors stuff, I like hunting and fishing, but I haven't been able to go lately.
-Def reading about politics, history, philosophy and then having coffe or something and talking with someone about it... lmao
-taking my beagle dog for a walk (beagles are horrible to walk....she walks me more with her hound sense of smell)
-texas hold em poker!

Some hobbies I can think of...

I applied to a post-bac program and hope to get in... should find out soon...
Cheers!

I say yes. One of the big factors affecting the cost is that Crossfit gyms must adhere to a max of 6 students per 1 instructor. So as the gym grows and more people attend the classes the gym has to hire more instructors. You are also paying for the benefits of essentially having a personal trainer at your disposal during all of your workouts. Not all Crossfit gyms are created equal, so do your research and learn about the instructors before committing to anything. Look for instructors that have competed in an annual regional Crossfit competition or the Crossfit games. You should look for a gym that offers a foundations class. The foundations class is where you learn all of the basic movements/exercises and the importance of proper form. Also keep in the mind that the facility might not be pretty or comfortable, don't let that be the deciding factor for you. The best Crossfit gym I've ever been to was ran out of a garage; no frills just sweat. 3..2..1..GO!

My hobbies : Reading, Writing, Genealogy, Medieval reenactment, volunteering, travel to some extent.

I used all 15 slots in my EC section, only one was hobbies. My hobbies came up in my interviews. Volunteering came up a lot, travel came up three times this cycle.

Not that this was directed at me, but I don't think it's worth it.

Crossfit is essentially a fancy brand name for circuit training workouts that you can do on your own if you take the time to properly learn the compound movements involved.

Some of them have solid coaches with backgrounds in powerlifting or Olympic lifting. Some of them encourage awful form in compound lifts just so you can "improve your WOD times."

YMMV. You could probably find a place that enforces proper technique with lifts but is it worth the ~$180?
Maybe it is worth the $$ because I would probably never take the time to properly learn the compound movements involved. I need my hand held when it comes to exercise, LOL.

$180 is kind of ridiculous, though. Its $100/mo here with the student discount.

I say yes. One of the big factors affecting the cost is that Crossfit gyms must adhere to a max of 6 students per 1 instructor. So as the gym grows and more people attend the classes the gym has to hire more instructors. You are also paying for the benefits of essentially having a personal trainer at your disposal during all of your workouts. Not all Crossfit gyms are created equal, so do your research and learn about the instructors before committing to anything. Look for instructors that have competed in an annual regional Crossfit competition or the Crossfit games. You should look for a gym that offers a foundations class. The foundations class is where you learn all of the basic movements/exercises and the importance of proper form. Also keep in the mind that the facility might not be pretty or comfortable, don't let that be the deciding factor for you. The best Crossfit gym I've ever been to was ran out of a garage; no frills just sweat. 3..2..1..GO!
Thank you for the tips. :) A friend of mine works there, so he can hopefully give me the scoop on the qualifications of the trainers. That small group structure sounds so appealing! It sounds like you would get the motivation from being around people without the overstimulation of a group fitness class. Maybe it's worth it because the cost would be a huge motivator for you actually go. We only value what we have to pay through the nose for, ya know?

My go-to, destressing hobby is music. I own multiple guitars, basses, a drumkit, a trumpet, etc. Upsets the neighbors, but it's extremely satisfying to turn my amp up and just jam to my favorite song.

But hobbies, if I'm lucky to have a weekend to myself, I grab my backpack (sleeping bag, phone, wallet, and notebook) and just become a transient and walk to random towns nearby. I cheat because I call a friend to pick me up...lol

Reading, hiking, music, bowling, bonfires, and meditation are pretty much my routines save for schooling

I love Crossfit. It is NOT a convential gym or similar to a gym membership. You take classes which are supervised by a certified trainer that will help make sure you are lifting correctly. Go try it out, most Crossfit places offer at least one class for free.

Crossfit is very motivating - at most places if you are the last one to finish then everyone will cheer you on till you finish. Some people would even come back and finish the run with me if it was a running workout. It's very supportive and yes lots of hand holding if you need it. All you have to do is show up and your natural competitive instinct takes over to perform your best and so you will go hard and get a good workout in. At least for most people. All Crossfit places are NOT created equal, you have to try them out. My favorite is run out of one of those warehouses and has no A/C (Houston!). I tried one of the fancy places with a/c and did not like their programming or trainers.

Thank you for the tips. :) A friend of mine works there, so he can hopefully give me the scoop on the qualifications of the trainers. That small group structure sounds so appealing! It sounds like you would get the motivation from being around people without the overstimulation of a group fitness class. Maybe it's worth it because the cost would be a huge motivator for you actually go. We only value what we have to pay through the nose for, ya know?

After you try it and subsequently get into it you may want to attend one of Crossfit's level 1 certification courses. I highly recommend it. They teach a more in depth version of the foundations/basics class and get into some serious demonstrations on proper form. Plus you'll be dead by the end of day two because you'll most likely do numerous Workout Of the Day (WODs) each day and it could be anything from one of the "girl named WODs" to a "Hero" workout to a tabata style session. It's a two-day clinic held most weekends at various Crossfit gyms around the nation. Classes fill up quick and its $1,000, but it's worth the cost. I was fortunate enough to complete my certification for free, but I would have no issues with paying the $1,000. You could offset the monthly cost by becoming one of the instructors; maybe part-time, working evenings, or whatever. Crossfit is more than just a workout, it's a competition between you and your peers, it's a sport, and like any sport practice makes perfect and seeing your improvements over time is a great motivator. Who knows maybe someday you'll be participating in the Crossfit Open, Regionals, and possibly the Games.

One thing is certain, crossfiters love talking about crossfit.

Weight training- thinking of getting into power-lifting.
I dabble in painting Warhammer 40k figures.
Reading- right now I'm reading the History of Rome by Livy, just finished reading Roman Britain by Bedoyere.

Beyond that I don't have time for much since I've got a 6 month old daughter. Might start scuba/free diving again this Summer if I have time, but my hobbies are pretty lame.

Video games, basketball, tennis and sleeping.

One thing is certain, crossfiters love talking about crossfit.
"Crossfit is a lifestyle. It starts in the gym and ends on your facebook;" in this case SDN.

Did I see someone mention "lifting correctly" in cross-fit? The kipping pull-up... Your rotator cuffs and bi-cipital tendons are going to be seriously pissed at you later in life for all those poor form pull-ups you thought were a good idea.

I had to... enjoy!

lol @ celts. It is okay, I love salmon with a nice brown sugar glaze ^^ I would never eat the fish in my aquariums, but you know what....a major source of my cichlids diet is other fish. So.....they eat fish therefore they cannot hate on me for eating fish as well lol. I actually know someone that used to attach hamburger to a fishing line (no hook) and cast it into his fish tank just to mess with them lol. He would make them chase it then reel it back in lol.

As long as I don't see you looking up recipes for fish while looking at my aquariums, it is all good ^^

the wheel of time series by robert jordan is great...

since I'm thinking about the national guard, my main hobbies lately have been running/pushup/situp

but I love elder scrolls, although I have been too cheap to sign up for the new one