What are your hobbies outside of med school preparation?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

And the videos...what's with the videos they take of themselves doing a lift? I can't ever tell what I'm supposed to be impressed about? instructed on? motivated by?

I'm over here like...man, lots of people lift weights, but these are the only ones I know that make sure that I know it with video evidence.

Reading. Finished Dune this week. I'm hoping to start Wool this upcoming week. Part way through the Dark Tower series as well. I always read a few at a time.
Ever read the Miles Vorkosigan series by Bujold? or the Harry Dresden series? They are excellent!

Members don't see this ad :)
One thing is certain, crossfiters love talking about crossfit.
Get a few crossfiters together and it's just awful. I keep seeing a group of three people in the gym who I assume do crossfit (they wear CF shirts from time to time) that spend their time lifting with garbage form and talking to other gym members about how great Crossfit is.

I was working with an exercise physiologist for a research project last year, one of the participants we had was into Crossfit. She spent most of the interaction telling us that traditional weight training would never get us the gains CF would. "Only ******* use gloves when they lift... Oh, but I use straps to deadlift and never exercise without my vibrams."

I'm all for people doing what they're into to stay in shape but Crossfit fanatics are pretty obnoxious.

Get a few crossfiters together and it's just awful. I keep seeing a group of three people in the gym who I assume do crossfit (they wear CF shirts from time to time) that spend their time lifting with garbage form and talking to other gym members about how great Crossfit is.

I was working with an exercise physiologist for a research project last year, one of the participants we had was into Crossfit. She spent most of the interaction telling us that traditional weight training would never get us the gains CF would. "Only ******* use gloves when they lift... Oh, but I use straps to deadlift and never exercise without my vibrams."

I'm all for people doing what they're into to stay in shape but Crossfit fanatics are pretty obnoxious.

Right? The paleo diet/Mark Sisson group unfortunately took their cult like belief system to a fitness approach that was apparently brought down the mountain by Zeus himself.

Haha, I'm just giving you guys a hard time. With the obesity stats the way they are, whatever it takes to get people moving is better than the alternative, in my book.

Reactions: 1 user
i spend my free/fun time reading up on news as well as tabloids (yes i really do need to see what outfit kim kardashian wore last week, as well as LiLo's rehab stints). other than that, i love to eat healthy, sleep well (as many hours as i can), and of course, sex. so i am really a caveman with a woman's mindset of celeb. gossip. i am cheap and a minimalist so i don't really have any hobbies that cost money.

Reactions: 1 users
i spend my free/fun time reading up on news as well as tabloids (yes i really do need to see what outfit kim kardashian wore last week, as well as LiLo's rehab stints). other than that, i love to eat healthy, sleep well (as many hours as i can), and of course, sex. so i am really a caveman with a woman's mindset of celeb. gossip. i am cheap and a minimalist so i don't really have any hobbies that cost money.

I'd say I know you, in fact I was the best man in your wedding...except there's no way you'd be on this forum. So strange, there are two of you.

Reactions: 1 user
Nice! I was looking at an older Panny Lumix. They get great reviews. Does it meet or exceed your expectations? I haven't taken a legit photography class, so unfortunately I can't talk shop.

Hi, sorry I missed this.

Which one were you looking at?
The GX7 is a technological marvel, it's completely relit my passion for photography. To me, there is no longer a significant enough trade off in image quality, features, or even speed between the systems to even bother with the big, heavy, dslr world. My camera bag is tiny compared to what it used to be and I have more capabilities than I had before. Not to mention the ease that having the actual exposure displayed to you in the viewfinder vs. hoping you exposed correctly and having to chimp after you took the picture to find out. I can't even explain how revolutionary that is coming from a dslr but not being a professional photog who has the experience necessary to expose correctly most of the time.

Last edited:
I have that series in hardback sb247. I haven't read it yet.

Goro loves reading and being a history buff, playing board wargames. Give m a Guards Tank Army on the steppes of Russia, or a US armored division in the Ardennes and I'm a holy terror.
That's awesome Goro! Before my current schedule killed most of my free time, I would get together with my brothers and a couple of friends for some Axis and Allies. I think we've played almost every version, including some of the new ones, and made some up as well. Now since life has moved us on to different cities, I don't get to play much except for our annual christmas game.

Old hobbies (mostly discontinued due to time and money constraints plus family duties):
Paintball and airsoft.
Off-roading.
Strategy board games.
PC games (Elder scrolls, Fallout ect.)

Current Hobbies:
Occasional reading (current favorite authors include Brandon Sanderson, Jack Campbell, LE Modesitt)
Occasional hiking
Disc Golf
Skyrim- with occasional downtime at work and finished homework.

I read mostly on my phone now with the kindle app. It's so convenient, I always have my book with me, and I can easily read in the dark without other lighting.