what are your monthly expenses??

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Picklesali

M2
10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
I'm trying to figure out a budget for next year. For current med students: how much do you spend a month on everything except rent and food? (These can be very variable, and I already have an idea of what I will spend on these so I'm trying to figure out how much I will need for everything else.) For incoming students, how much are you expecting to spend per month??

Since I'm doing MD/PhD, I haven't looked at any financial aid info-type stuff so I don't know how much schools tell you to budget or how much extra to take out in loans, etc.

Thanks in advance!

Members don't see this ad.

Last edited:
I'm trying to figure out a budget for next year. For current med students: how much do you spend a month on everything except rent and food? (These can be very variable, and I already have an idea of what I will spend on these so I'm trying to figure out how much I will need for everything else.) For incoming students, how much are you expecting to spend per month??

Since I'm doing MD/PhD, I haven't looked at any financial aid info-type stuff so I don't know how much schools tell you to budget or how much extra to take out in loans, etc.

Thanks in advance!

It was my understanding that MD PhD's were paid a stipend? wouldn't that obviate the need for loans? PM me and I'll send you my budget.

It was my understanding that MD PhD's were paid a stipend? wouldn't that obviate the need for loans? PM me and I'll send you my budget.

sorry for the confusion - no I will not be taking out any loans, I only meant that I had not seen any information on how much I should plan to spend on x,y, and z and I know that for MD-only people taking out loans they are given this information to estimate loan amounts.

Members don't see this ad :)
My Budget looks like this:

Auto - 200 (gas mostly, my father does all the maintenance and because its cheaper that way my parents still pay my insurance)
Eating out - 100
Groceries - 200 (I'm a small female and don't usually get to 200)
Miscellaneous - 100 (this includes doctors copays, random stuff I want to buy, toiletries, etc)
Utilities - 50
Cell phone - 50