What are your salaries out of residency?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
M

moops

I was hoping that some of you finishing up in residencies might convey their expectations (please list your related field, of course) of earnings their first year after residency training.

Members don't see this ad.

Although I'm not graduating for another 3.5 years, I know what some of the people coming out of our program are getting.

The field is radiology. I am expecting 150K-300K to start, depending on what kind of city I want to live in. More popular areas can start at 150K, more rural areas can start as high as 500K. Partners usually make more.

I'm not doing Rads, but I know a rural group near where I am has an offer of $700K and immediate partnership, which they have been UNABLE TO FILL.

Somebody said rads compensation is wacky right now, and I have to agree. More power to you guys, I just hope you aren't disappointed when the golden goose wears out.

In ophthalmology, private practice physicians typically start at $120-$160K/year. Physicians working in rural areas will likely start at higher salaries. After three years, the average ophthalmologist will make $225-$300K/year. Some make less, and some will make more. It all depends on how much they are willing to work, and where they are willing to work.

In Urology the average salary for private practice physicians is about $100 - $150K/year in metropolitan areas. In more rural areas the salary can start as high as $220 - 225/year.

Originally posted by avendesora
I'm not doing Rads, but I know a rural group near where I am has an offer of $700K and immediate partnership, which they have been UNABLE TO FILL.

Somebody said rads compensation is wacky right now, and I have to agree. More power to you guys, I just hope you aren't disappointed when the golden goose wears out.

No worries here. I plan on moving to a metropolitan area and maybe academics so 150-200K is what I expect. That's still enough for me. I'd rather have that then live in the middle of nowhere earning 500K. By the way, the radiologists earning that much work their butts off. Its not 8-5 at most of these places because the volume is so high. They only make up for it with good vacation packages.

Originally posted by avendesora

Hah where are you located? I may have to take a look;)

Most of these jobs with the sky high salaries in Rads usually have something very undesirable associated with them.

Originally posted by Goober
Most of these jobs with the sky high salaries in Rads usually have something very undesirable associated with them.

That's exactly what one of my attendings (EM) said - if a place will pay you $400K/year, they're going to squeeze $400K of work out of you.

hey folks,

what are the starting salaries for you newly-minted cardiologists and gastroenterologists? (urban vs. rural offers)

thanks!

physicianrecruiting.com is a good source to get a general idea of starting salaries in many of the specialties