• SDN Site Updates

Hey everyone! The site will be down for approximately 2 hours on Thursday, August 5th for site updates.

M

moops

I was hoping that some of you finishing up in residencies might convey their expectations (please list your related field, of course) of earnings their first year after residency training.

Whisker Barrel Cortex

1K Member
10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Aug 11, 2001
Midwest
Status (Visible)
Although I'm not graduating for another 3.5 years, I know what some of the people coming out of our program are getting.

The field is radiology. I am expecting 150K-300K to start, depending on what kind of city I want to live in. More popular areas can start at 150K, more rural areas can start as high as 500K. Partners usually make more.

avendesora

7+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Aug 16, 2002
Status (Visible)
I'm not doing Rads, but I know a rural group near where I am has an offer of $700K and immediate partnership, which they have been UNABLE TO FILL.

Somebody said rads compensation is wacky right now, and I have to agree. More power to you guys, I just hope you aren't disappointed when the golden goose wears out.

About the Ads

Andrew_Doan

Doc, Author, Entrepreneur
Moderator Emeritus
15+ Year Member
Oct 1, 2002
San Diego, CA
www.facebook.com
Status (Visible)
  1. Attending Physician
In ophthalmology, private practice physicians typically start at $120-$160K/year. Physicians working in rural areas will likely start at higher salaries. After three years, the average ophthalmologist will make $225-$300K/year. Some make less, and some will make more. It all depends on how much they are willing to work, and where they are willing to work.

Pheo

7+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Aug 10, 2003
Status (Visible)
In Urology the average salary for private practice physicians is about $100 - $150K/year in metropolitan areas. In more rural areas the salary can start as high as $220 - 225/year.

Whisker Barrel Cortex

1K Member
10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Aug 11, 2001
Midwest
Status (Visible)
Originally posted by avendesora
I'm not doing Rads, but I know a rural group near where I am has an offer of $700K and immediate partnership, which they have been UNABLE TO FILL.

Somebody said rads compensation is wacky right now, and I have to agree. More power to you guys, I just hope you aren't disappointed when the golden goose wears out.

No worries here. I plan on moving to a metropolitan area and maybe academics so 150-200K is what I expect. That's still enough for me. I'd rather have that then live in the middle of nowhere earning 500K. By the way, the radiologists earning that much work their butts off. Its not 8-5 at most of these places because the volume is so high. They only make up for it with good vacation packages.

Goober

10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Nov 28, 2003
Status (Visible)
  1. Attending Physician
Originally posted by avendesora

Hah where are you located? I may have to take a look;)

Most of these jobs with the sky high salaries in Rads usually have something very undesirable associated with them.

Southern Hick

7+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Nov 26, 2003
Status (Visible)
hey folks,

what are the starting salaries for you newly-minted cardiologists and gastroenterologists? (urban vs. rural offers)

thanks!

ys

10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Dec 25, 2000
tx.,usa
Status (Visible)
physicianrecruiting.com is a good source to get a general idea of starting salaries in many of the specialties

About the Ads
This thread is more than 17 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. Your new thread title is very short, and likely is unhelpful.
  2. Your reply is very short and likely does not add anything to the thread.
  3. Your reply is very long and likely does not add anything to the thread.
  4. It is very likely that it does not need any further discussion and thus bumping it serves no purpose.
  5. Your message is mostly quotes or spoilers.
  6. Your reply has occurred very quickly after a previous reply and likely does not add anything to the thread.
  7. This thread is locked.