What are your thoughts about computers interpreting images?

Started by med2928
This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Get help with your application

Use all the free resources available to you from SDN: articles, guides, expert advising, forums discussions, and school research.

med2928

New Member
7+ Year Member
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
I personally believe that it is not a matter of if it will happen, but when. I think it is inevitable, but hope it doesnt happen during my career. I also think that if radiologists are strategic, we can develop a way to claim it and control how it is used to prevent it from replacing humans.

What are your thoughts?
 
This topic has been beaten to death 100 times in the past.

My recommendation: Choose another field and not radiology. You are too concerned about loneliness in reading room, computers and I don't know what will be the next.
 
Long time lurker and used to post in medical school years...

The times have changed! We used to get worried about not getting into Rads. Now there is rampant fear mongering.

As a brief background I am an engineering major who went to rads. Currently finishing fellowship and will join Private practice in a few months.

My thoughts on this: Computer vision is an infinitely more difficult (well not infinite but many times harder) than simple NLP (natural language processing). Watson - from IBM - is a supreme NLP processor. Computer reading and INTERPRETING a diagnostic study will not be happening any time soon.

So keep calm and go back to studying/reading/whatever makes you happy.
 
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
As long as lawyers want to take doctors to court, radiologists will exist. I don't think a computer interpreting company wants to take on all that malpractice liability.
 
This topic has been beaten to death 100 times in the past.

My recommendation: Choose another field and not radiology. You are too concerned about loneliness in reading room, computers and I don't know what will be the next.

Well, obviously they will be international outsourcing, mid-level radiologists and radiology becoming obsolete by nanomedicine-based diagnosis of everything