What are your thoughts on this article

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

vraypharmd2md

10+ Year Member
7+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
I was thumbing through this journal and found this article:

http://www.ajhp.org/cgi/content/full/62/3/259

I was just wondering what your thoughts were about this topic? (Since you are the future of pharmacy and these will be the things that we will have to address. Even in the face of people perception of pharmacy as mere dispensers.

Members don't see this ad.

The author of this article Mr. Zellmer of ASHP was a speaker in our elective contemporary topics class this semester at VCU. He outlined exactly what is said in the article and talked about the future of pharmacy. I do agree that pharmacy cannot keep going on the way it is. In the community setting pharmacists will not be able to make around 100k for just putting meds in a bottle. With the advance in automation there will be no need for the numerous amts of pharmacists in a dispensing role. Thus, we will need to become "clinical" experts to fill a new niche to society (and keep from being unemployed). We should be able to "truly" counsel patients on their drug therapy and help manage their regimens. I am not saying that this is the definate future of pharmacy, but this has been pushed for since the mid 1960s...actually it started with the implementation the the mandatory PharmD. In addition to this, most of our professional organizations, especially ASHP have set goals for our profession by whatever yr (2010, 2015, etc...) that does include the above. The sad part is the number of students coming into pharmacy thinking that they will be able to fill pills for the rest of their careers and get by, which is obviously a barrier to keeping our profession alive. I see a bright future for pharmacy as long as we unite and make this transition as smooth as possible. If you do not believe this, I would look into more research and talk to leaders in the professional organizations.

vraypharmd2md said:
I was thumbing through this journal and found this article:

http://www.ajhp.org/cgi/content/full/62/3/259

I was just wondering what your thoughts were about this topic? (Since you are the future of pharmacy and these will be the things that we will have to address. Even in the face of people perception of pharmacy as mere dispensers.

i really hope all you say is true... although I also hope we will still get paid as much :D
drug companies should pay for counselling on their drugs not just selling