What are your thoughts?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

MexicanDr

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hello everyone-

I work as an ICU RN in a teaching hospital. What are your thoughts on having a letter of reference from an Emergency Medicine resident whom rotated several times for prolonged periods in the ICU and worked with me personally?

I will have a letter from a professor, from my manager, from my long time college counselor/mentor, a physician assistant whom I shadowed and from the ICU Medical Director.

Thanks,

Ed

Members don't see this ad.

That makes six individuals, right? CASPA cuts you off at four. My rule of thumb has always been to ask people that will write you the best letters, vs just relying on the ones with star power. If that resident knows you better than the icu director, and can articulate his praise of you well, then go with that resident. I think you'll be fine, though. At this point, if your grades are decent, you have a seat waiting for you just about anywhere you land an interview. You'll be able to talk about real life and death situations vs all the undergrads talking about how they tutored at risk kids for a week.