Second thoughts about Occupational Therapy...

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

jnniemeyer

Reaction score
I have just finished my first year of a masters in occupational therapy. Before starting this program, I was debating whether to pursue a career in nursing or OT. I chose OT because I have a background in therapeutic recreation and want to work with children and families affected by illness and disability.

But after starting my program, I have realized that much of the OT program curriculum is theory. I am not learning as much of the hard science and practical skills that I would like to, and which I would have learned in a nursing program.

I am also not getting much clinical experience. Most of my second year is focused on a dissertation - in which case I won’t be getting much hands-on learning. At this point, I am regretting choosing OT and also concerned that I won’t have the skills to be a confident OT upon graduation.

I have seriously considered leaving the program for a place in a entry level masters of science in nursing (nurse practitioner) program. However, the ELMSN program is incredibly expensive and would put me in a huge amount of debt.

At this point, I am thinking it would be wiser to finish the OT program - and then apply to either nursing or PA programs later down the road (since I have already completed the pre-reqs), but after securing a career in OT. My end goal is always changing but I would ultimately like to work in pediatrics or mental health.

Any thoughts or advice is much appreciated.

Many thanks!

Members don't see this ad.

I have just finished my first year of a masters in occupational therapy. Before starting this program, I was debating whether to pursue a career in nursing or OT. I chose OT because I have a background in therapeutic recreation and want to work with children and families affected by illness and disability.

But after starting my program, I have realized that much of the OT program curriculum is theory. I am not learning as much of the hard science and practical skills that I would like to, and which I would have learned in a nursing program.

I am also not getting much clinical experience. Most of my second year is focused on a dissertation - in which case I won’t be getting much hands-on learning. At this point, I am regretting choosing OT and also concerned that I won’t have the skills to be a confident OT upon graduation.

I have seriously considered leaving the program for a place in a entry level masters of science in nursing (nurse practitioner) program. However, the ELMSN program is incredibly expensive and would put me in a huge amount of debt.

At this point, I am thinking it would be wiser to finish the OT program - and then apply to either nursing or PA programs later down the road (since I have already completed the pre-reqs), but after securing a career in OT. My end goal is always changing but I would ultimately like to work in pediatrics or mental health.

Many thanks!

Only OT folks can tell you when the practical training comes in to play, but I wouldn’t rule it out yet. The hands on application phase begins later.

The OTs that I know seem to be pretty steeped in knowledge, and I don’t doubt that by the end of your program, you’ll be proficient. It’s often disconcerting to be new, but everyone goes through that. But if you are 100% certain you don’t want to do OT, what is he purpose of putting more time and money into it? I personally don’t think you should bail yet, but how determined are you that OT isn’t what you want to do? I think it will only get more tedious as you go because you know you aren’t digging it, and don’t plan to use it. Makes it hard to carry on in that direction.

Cost is going to be a big issue. OT school can be pretty expensive on its own. PA school is expensive. To become an NP can be expensive when you factor everything in, and it probably takes the longest from where you are right now, even with the direct entry NP degree. Piling on debt goes a long way to depleting the benefit of the higher wages you seek.

Reactions: 1 user
Members don't see this ad :)

Many thanks!
There is very little science in nursing school. That's why it is called nursing theory. If you want to do hand surgery or something that might use your OT then PA would be a good route. If you dont want to do surgical specialty then NP would we the easier, cheaper and quickest route. In NP school you will take a easy version of path. And pharm. Which is 1 semester for FNP. Good luck!

There is very little science in nursing school. That's why it is called nursing theory. If you want to do hand surgery or something that might use your OT then PA would be a good route. If you dont want to do surgical specialty then NP would we the easier, cheaper and quickest route. In NP school you will take a easy version of path. And pharm. Which is 1 semester for FNP. Good luck!

Yeah, listen to this guy. Make sure to read everything he says because you’ll get the gust of what he’s all about.

Look at Dukes program and compare. 49 credit hours for FNP and 109 for PA. 3 times the amount of pharm, diagnostic methods and clinical medicine also A&P plus basic medical science and other classes. The FNP at Duke take 7 credits of patho and pharm only. The PA program has more credit hours in the pre clinical phase than the entire NP program. Just look at the facts and dont let bitter people on here say otherwise. Facts dont lie, you will make the right choice for you. Good luck!

Just look at the facts and dont let bitter people on here say otherwise. Facts dont lie, you will make the right choice for you. Good luck!

So says the bitterest of men....

• Haha
I'm very satisfied with my career and my training.

Good. One would assume trying to tear down other careers with literally every breath wouldn’t suit you, but yet here we are.

There is very little science in nursing school.

This is absolute bull****, for anyone reading. :)

-Signed, an RN who is now in MD school, and learning many of the same topics I learned in nursing school (albeit in much greater depth).

Reactions: 3 users
This is absolute bull****, for anyone reading. :)

-Signed, an RN who is now in MD school, and learning many of the same topics I learned in nursing school (albeit in much greater depth).
Just cause you graze over a topic in nursing school doesnt mean you "know" the science. That was my point. It's the depth of knowledge. Also you nurses state all the type your different because of nursing theory. Mow you dont care about the theory? Dont get all bent out of shape.

Just cause you graze over a topic in nursing school doesnt mean you "know" the science. That was my point. It's the depth of knowledge. Also you nurses state all the type your different because of nursing theory. Mow you dont care about the theory? Dont get all bent out of shape.

You’re the only person here who seems to get bent out of shape at the drop of a hat. That’s your “thing”.

You’re the one bent out of shape! I just called you out for saying things you aren’t educated enough to say.

You’re the one bent out of shape! I just called you out for saying things you aren’t educated enough to say.
Not chasing you down the rabbit hole. I'm well educated in nursing school and what it takes. I helped my wife during her schooling. Try again. Have a good day sir.

Not chasing you down the rabbit hole. I'm well educated in nursing school and what it takes. I helped my wife during her schooling. Try again. Have a good day sir.

As an RN, past clinical instructor, (and not just someone who has a wife who did it), I think I’m more educated in it, so I think it’s wise for you to retreat! Have a great weekend.

I am helping a NP student who is taking a whole semester biostats--and my biostats class was only ~7hrs (and I am being generous here).

What is going on with nursing education?

I am helping a NP student who is taking a whole semester biostats--and my biostats class was only ~7hrs (and I am being generous here).

What is going on with nursing education?

Poor oversight resulting in a scarily varied quality of education and low acceptance standards for graduate training. In a nutshell.

Poor oversight resulting in a scarily varied quality of education and low acceptance standards for graduate training. In a nutshell.
If a state university can spread a 7 hours class thru a whole semester, I wonder how is it like at University of Phoenix, South University etc...

If a state university can spread a 7 hours class thru a whole semester, I wonder how is it like at University of Phoenix, South University etc...

Studied much sociology or psychology? They spread info that could fit into an email into a whole semester.

Reactions: 1 users

Many thanks!

OT here. My program was the same in the beginning, with a lot of theory. The second year we learned a lot more hands on, practical skills. Then in field work you learn way more, since you are actually performing treatments. Most new grads do not feel confident in their positions, or that they were fully prepared from their OT schooling. That's normal. You learn the most from actually working and trial and error. So I wouldn't worry about that too much. There is also generally a lot of support for new grads at your first job if you ask for it, such as a mentor or resources to use. Don't let that alone sway you away from the field.