What bio classes should I take?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

ajh23

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
I'm currently a freshman and will have already taken Bio I, both Gen Chems, and both Orgos by the time I start my sophmore year. I plan on taking Physics(algebra based) and Bio 2 in the fall and winter and I want to know what bio classes I should take as well before taking the MCAT(I plan in maybe the winter/spring of junior year).
Here's the list to choose from:
Biochem I and II
Microbiology
Genetics
Physiology

I've heard anatomy is pretty useless on the MCAT which is why I didn't include it in the list. But I've already done some research and I'm getting mixed reviews about which classes to take. I know that the MCAT is different for everybody but I'd just like all your guys' input.

Thanks in advance!

Members don't see this ad.

genetics (intro, not mcb-type) and biochem are both considered to be pretty important for the MCAT. From what i understand physiology can help too, although it'd prolly only be one or two sets on the bio section.
Microbiology and anatomy i think are both unimportant as well, but still interesting and useful classes in the grand scheme of things. tbh every upper div biology related course probably helps somewhat, having a greater understanding overall isn't harmful very often

Members don't see this ad :)
genetics (intro, not mcb-type) and biochem are both considered to be pretty important for the MCAT. From what i understand physiology can help too, although it'd prolly only be one or two sets on the bio section.
Microbiology and anatomy i think are both unimportant as well, but still interesting and useful classes in the grand scheme of things. tbh every upper div biology related course probably helps somewhat, having a greater understanding overall isn't harmful very often

yea prob just about

I'm currently a freshman and will have already taken Bio I, both Gen Chems, and both Orgos by the time I start my sophmore year. I plan on taking Physics(algebra based) and Bio 2 in the fall and winter and I want to know what bio classes I should take as well before taking the MCAT(I plan in maybe the winter/spring of junior year).
Here's the list to choose from:
Biochem I and II
Microbiology
Genetics
Physiology

I've heard anatomy is pretty useless on the MCAT which is why I didn't include it in the list. But I've already done some research and I'm getting mixed reviews about which classes to take. I know that the MCAT is different for everybody but I'd just like all your guys' input.

Thanks in advance!

My list:
#1 Physiology
#2 Genetics
#3 Biochem

On my MCAT, the Biochem questions were softballs. Genetics and Physiology were way more important and were tested more.

My list:
#1 Physiology
#2 Genetics
#3 Biochem

On my MCAT, the Biochem questions were softballs. Genetics and Physiology were way more important and were tested more.

Agreed 100%.

My MCAT was very physio heavy and I'm SO glad I took that class in addition to General Bio, especially since I took general bio so long ago.

I wish I had taken physiology before the mcat, instead of learning it from the Kaplan review book a month before the test

My MCAT was very physio heavy and I'm SO glad I took that class in addition to General Bio, especially since I took general bio so long ago.
My school offers plant or animal physiology which one of those would you advise. How about microbiology

Definitely animal physio. I did not take Micro, though. I was a nonscience major and I took most of my pre-reqs (and physio) as a post-bacc student. I would have loved to take more classes but I couldn't afford or and I didn't have the time with working.

Here's an idea. If you felt your general bio class was lacking, take a look at the content guidelines that the AAMC releases for the MCAT. If you notice a lot of stuff you don't think was adequately covered in your general biology course that would be included in a higher-level biology course, then that's the one I'd take if you don't want to just self-study. For me, this was physiology. https://www.aamc.org/students/download/85566/data/bstopics.pdf

Micro can actually be a good substitute for Biochem (if you don't plan on taking biochem before the MCAT, you still should take biochem sometime). It really helped me on metabolic pathways and the cell cycle things.

Although I would agree with most people on here, in terms of help with the MCAT, physiology (human or animal) is most helpful. Since I'm a micro major I don't take classes that cover the endocrine and homeostatic (kidney) systems which would really help me out on the MCAT since it seems every test I've taken has those two systems on it (other too).

Genetics is ehh, and Biochem II (at least at my school) is molecular genetics and genetic engineering, not really that helpful either.

Let me reiterate this again in simple format:

For the MCAT (IMO):
Physiology> Biochem I ≥ Microbiology > Genetics = Biochem II

Micro can actually be a good substitute for Biochem (if you don't plan on taking biochem before the MCAT, you still should take biochem sometime). It really helped me on metabolic pathways and the cell cycle things.

Although I would agree with most people on here, in terms of help with the MCAT, physiology (human or animal) is most helpful. Since I'm a micro major I don't take classes that cover the endocrine and homeostatic (kidney) systems which would really help me out on the MCAT since it seems every test I've taken has those two systems on it (other too).

Genetics is ehh, and Biochem II (at least at my school) is molecular genetics and genetic engineering, not really that helpful either.

Let me reiterate this again in simple format:

For the MCAT (IMO):
Physiology> Biochem I ≥ Microbiology > Genetics = Biochem II
That is quite the equation rcheech7!
I've scheduled to take Physiology, Physics I, and Bio 2 in the fall and Genetics, Micro, and Physics II in the winter. I'm hoping to take Biochem I in the fall of my junior year, right before my MCAT.

Thanks a lot everybody...keep 'em coming!

I have a quick question. How the hell did you finish half your pre-reqes in a year...???

Members don't see this ad :)
I think some great options are:
biochem
genetics
microbiology
anatomy and physiology
histology (cool lab)

I think some great options are:
biochem
genetics
microbiology
anatomy and physiology
histology (cool lab)
i'm not convinced these classes are necessary for the mcat. if you are thorough in covering the topics AAMC outline for the mcat, i think you'll be more than fine.

that said, you should definitely take biochem at some point. i have not taken genetics, and that's the one bio class i regret not taking because of it's importance in today in research/teaching and because it's pretty interesting on its own.

I have a quick question. How the hell did you finish half your pre-reqes in a year...???
Haha, yeah. I'm taking Orgo I and II in the summer and will have finished Bio I, and both Gen Chems in a few weeks. Summer courses really open up a lot of options. A main reason I'm taking them is in case I'm not satisfied with my MCAT the first time, I'll have time to retake it without being stuck with a huge course load.

On another note, do you guys think it really matters if I take the algebra-based physics? I've heard med schools prefer calc-based but don't really care in the end, as long as I have a rigorous course load. I've also heard that the MCAT physics is algebra-based and I didn't think it makes much sense taking calc-based without taking calc (lolz).
Any input on this topic?

Haha, yeah. I'm taking Orgo I and II in the summer and will have finished Bio I, and both Gen Chems in a few weeks. Summer courses really open up a lot of options. A main reason I'm taking them is in case I'm not satisfied with my MCAT the first time, I'll have time to retake it without being stuck with a huge course load.

On another note, do you guys think it really matters if I take the algebra-based physics? I've heard med schools prefer calc-based but don't really care in the end, as long as I have a rigorous course load. I've also heard that the MCAT physics is algebra-based and I didn't think it makes much sense taking calc-based without taking calc (lolz).
Any input on this topic?

Med schools prefer you get an A, which is usually easier in algebra based physics.

I hear of lots of the pre-professional students taking genetics, cell bio, and biochem as their upper level sciences. (Its also what I plan to do.)

If you don't want to be bored to tears, avoid microbio. Physio is awesome though.