What books for Gross Anatomy?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
W

WishUponAStar

Hey folks,

So far I have a Netters Atlas. I have a Big Moore. I have a Grant's Dissector. Do you guys recommend a Chung's Board Review? Or a Rohen Atlas with real pictures? What did you find helpful?

Thanks,

Members don't see this ad.

for GAnatomy, i bought moore, netter, grants dissector, and a dead body book(DeMinn, et al) . I used the profs lecture notes, Netter and the BRS to study and the dead body book to review or if i was bored.

The profs relied heavily on their lecture notes for written exams so the BRS wasnt of much use, but the dead body book helped with practicals. i ended up with a 79 in the class :mad: ask your second year for their recommendations. we seldom used grants dissector and used moore only when the profs insanely detailed lecture notes were unclear.

its easy to go overboard, so keep it simple.

most of your profs will give you detailed lecture notes and then recommend you buy books. in my experience the lecture notes represent the bulk if not all of the material on the test, so buying a book ends up being a supplemental study aid (with color photos and junk).

buying a board review for any course is a good idea b/c it gives you an idea of board-important stuff. First Aid for the USMLE is a good place to start, and it has an idex of the top ranked review books for each subject.

Good luck :cool:

Hi. My 2nd year mentor strongly suggested using Chung's as an at-home study tool.

Members don't see this ad :)
I had all the books you have plus the Big Grant's. I got the Acland's video tapes as a gift half way through, and it REALLY helped when I got sick one week and had a hard time getting to the lab.

Moore uses pictures from the big Grant's, but the big Grant's has many more. I would say the anatomy books were my most used books last year. The best investment.

Netter and BIG Moore are essential. Grant's is a preference call...i personally didn't like it nor did i ever use it. Same goes with Moore. Some like baby Moore, some like BIG Moore. i preferred Big Moore specifically b/c of the great clinical cases/vignettes, as well as the awesome tables found within. i also used Chung's BRS book the day b/f exams to quickly go through the questions, find any weaknesses, and peruse the high-yield stuff and cover my bases. many of my friends did this as well, and i can tell you we all did very well in G anatomy. you just have to find your style. also, you can try getting together the night b/f an exam with friends and just casually quizzing one another. we'd do this over a few beers and just relax a bit. again, it seemed to work well for us. all in all, i'd say Netter, BIG Moore, and Chung's BRS should suffice for gaining a good knowledge of G Anatomy. hope this helps.

Scott
PCOM class of 2005

Netter and BIG Moore are essential. Grant's is a preference call...i personally didn't like it nor did i ever use it. Same goes with Moore. Some like baby Moore, some like BIG Moore. i preferred Big Moore specifically b/c of the great clinical cases/vignettes, as well as the awesome tables found within. i also used Chung's BRS book the day b/f exams to quickly go through the questions, find any weaknesses, and peruse the high-yield stuff and cover my bases. many of my friends did this as well, and i can tell you we all did very well in G anatomy. you just have to find your style. also, you can try getting together the night b/f an exam with friends and just casually quizzing one another. we'd do this over a few beers and just relax a bit. again, it seemed to work well for us. all in all, i'd say Netter, BIG Moore, and Chung's BRS should suffice for gaining a good knowledge of G Anatomy. hope this helps.

Scott
PCOM class of 2005

slindsay

Thanks for the response. I'm going with Grant's Dissector (11th...not going to spend the extra for the new), the grande Moore, and Netter.

Wish...who are you? Not sure if I met you yet...drop an email to me or something. Anatomy table 2.

Josh

For anatomy, I used big Moore (really is essential, especially the "blue boxes"), Netter, and Rohen. Netter is good because all of my anatomy professors took the images they used in class from there, and Rohen is good because you can use it to study for practicals when you can't get into the anatomy lab any longer to look at your cadaver. Don't know anything about the Grant's or Chung atlases.

Netter is a must.

I liked having a second atlas for abdomen, pelvis and perineum, and Head and Neck. I used Grant's and I liked it alot as it showed everything Netter did in a more specific 3d view than Netter. Netter is mandatory for a good basic understanding, however, for relationships Grant's has a much better treatment. The nice thing for me was finding a couple of other students with whom I could study Anatomy and talk about stuff. Each of them had a second atlas, one Had a Rohen (a dead body book) and the other a Snell atlas. between the three of us we had 4 different views from which to tie our learning which I found helpful and they did too, though I know plenty of people who did fine with Netter and the Notes only. I also like Baby Moore quite a lot and used that for most of the reading I did though I owned Big Moore too, which I used as a reference.

In conclusion, a dissector and Netter are mandatory. After that try to get a feel for what will help you learn the best, try reading the books in the library to see if they'll help you and get them if they do and you need them.

Good LUCK, remember, you have to look at the pretty pictures a lot, nothing will replace the time spent eyeballing the drawings and the cadaver.

Sweaty Paul

get moore's, Netter's, and Rohen's

Sweeeet...I got those...and Chung.

Netter is famous the world over..You have to get it, its a rule. :)
I also bought Rohen which i think is awesome..
Last i bought the Baby Moore..its the readers digest version of Essential Clinical Anatomy..

Those three are all you need..

See if you can share a Dissector...you only need it for lab..chances are that one person will bring it..

well theres my two cents..

Chris
NSUCOM2006