You are using an out of date browser. It may not display this or other websites correctly.
You should upgrade or use an alternative browser.
You should upgrade or use an alternative browser.
What books should premed reads
Get help with your application
Use all the free resources available to you from SDN: articles, guides, expert advising, forums discussions, and school research.
The Emperor of all Maladies
by Siddhartha Mukherjee
The Greatest Benefit to Mankind: A Medical History of Humanity
by Roy Porter
by Siddhartha Mukherjee
The Greatest Benefit to Mankind: A Medical History of Humanity
by Roy Porter
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
Books that you like, ideally.
In addition to the usual books from Gawande, Mukherjee, et al. I would add:
And The Band Played On - Randy Shilts
Saturday - Ian McEwan
Far From the Tree - Andrew Solomon
Cancer Ward - Alexander Solzhenitsyn
Mount Misery - Samuel Shem
The Undoing Project - Michael Lewis
And The Band Played On - Randy Shilts
Saturday - Ian McEwan
Far From the Tree - Andrew Solomon
Cancer Ward - Alexander Solzhenitsyn
Mount Misery - Samuel Shem
The Undoing Project - Michael Lewis
Doctored by Sandeep Jauhar was one of my absolute favorites.
Also, Reinventing American Healthcare by Ezequiel Emmanuel also provides a great overview of our healthcare system under Obamacare.
Also, Reinventing American Healthcare by Ezequiel Emmanuel also provides a great overview of our healthcare system under Obamacare.
House of God - Samuel Shem: The classic intern year book. It is the source of a ton of quotes/jokes/references that you will see here, on TV, and elsewhere. Think Catch-22 but with medical interns instead of bomber pilots. Some weird sex stuff.
Cutting for Stone - Abraham Verghese: Medical/coming of age novel about a surgeon in post-colonial Ethiopia. It is a good novel, with a good bit of surgical scenes. The author is a surgeon. Think The Power of One but with surgery instead of boxing (and a different country).
The Immortal Life of Henrietta Lacks - Rebecca Skloot: Non-fictional story of the woman behind one of the most important cell lines and how that came to be. I was surprised and humbled when I read this book to find that I had sold those cell lines at a previous job, without ever knowing or wondering where they came from. There is an HBO series now. I haven't watched it, so I don't know how it compares to the book.
*Edit- added more
Cutting for Stone - Abraham Verghese: Medical/coming of age novel about a surgeon in post-colonial Ethiopia. It is a good novel, with a good bit of surgical scenes. The author is a surgeon. Think The Power of One but with surgery instead of boxing (and a different country).
The Immortal Life of Henrietta Lacks - Rebecca Skloot: Non-fictional story of the woman behind one of the most important cell lines and how that came to be. I was surprised and humbled when I read this book to find that I had sold those cell lines at a previous job, without ever knowing or wondering where they came from. There is an HBO series now. I haven't watched it, so I don't know how it compares to the book.
*Edit- added more
Last edited:
second book is a bit too expensiveThe Emperor of all Maladies
by Siddhartha Mukherjee
The Greatest Benefit to Mankind: A Medical History of Humanity
by Roy Porter
I like religion and books that deal with medicineBooks that you like, ideally.
Gifted Hands by Ben Carson is one of my all time favorite books. Anything by Atul Gawande is really good. I'm about to read The Immortal Life of Henrietta Lacks as soon as my kindle ebook library hold comes through.I like religion and books that deal with medicine
I like religion and books that deal with medicine
You might enjoy In the Company of the Poor by Gustavo Gutierrez and Paul Farmer. Liberation theology + global health.
I enjoyed
- What Doctors Feel: How Emotions Affect the Practice of Medicine by Danielle Ofri
- How Doctors Think by Jerome Groopman
- Any book (Better, Complications, Checklist Manifesto, Being Mortal) by Atul Gawande
- Hot Lights Cold Steel by Michael Collins
- What Doctors Feel: How Emotions Affect the Practice of Medicine by Danielle Ofri
- How Doctors Think by Jerome Groopman
- Any book (Better, Complications, Checklist Manifesto, Being Mortal) by Atul Gawande
- Hot Lights Cold Steel by Michael Collins
That's what public libraries are for.second book is a bit too expensive
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
The spirit catches you and you fall down by Anne Fadiman
second book is a bit too expensive
Some free stuff to hold you over:
The Terrible Beauty of Brain Surgery
A.I. Versus M.D.
Madness Runs in the Family
The Improvisational Oncologist
Things that aren't medically related.
OMG. Has anyone taken this DJ name yet?! it's perfect!DJ Trump
I've paul kalianthi's when breath becomes air and I liked it. I'm going to read Being Mortal by Atul Gawde as soon as it comes in the mail. What other books do you guys suggest reading?
By the Bedside of the Patient: Nortin Hadler
7
768730
Harry Potter 1-7
Sent from my iPhone using SDN mobile app
Sent from my iPhone using SDN mobile app