What calculator to get?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

UICpremed

7+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
20+ Year Member
Reaction score
I am going to college this fall and taking college algebra. They require me to buy a TI-83 calculator for the class. This retails for I think around $90. I wanted to know if there is any better calculator out there? Because If I am spending so much money...might as well get a good one. Is the TI-86 good?

Thanks
Ashwin:confused:

P.S.: Also, what calculator would be better in future classes like pre- calc and calc?

Members don't see this ad.

TI-89 ALL THE WAY!!! Trust me, later on, the TI-83 becomes seriously underpowered. And besides the "solve()" function is a pleasure to have around. The TI-86 is a decent choice, but it's pretty outdated, yeah I would go with the 89 for sure. ;)

I'm a big fan of the TI-86. The TI-89 intimidates me a bit, and the TI-86 is much better than the TI-83.

Members don't see this ad :)
... make sure that they let you use a calculator with the solve() function. Some of our profs wouldnt allow that which was a real shame for all the people who spent the money to get it. -brian

If you're going to take any type of calculus get an 89, it will do derivatives and integrals for you. Otherewise I'd go with an 86.

I just checked the prices on amazon.com :

TI - 83 is $86
TI - 86 is $115
TI - 89 is $139

... make sure that they let you use a calculator with the solve() function. Some of our profs wouldnt allow that which was a real shame for all the people who spent the money to get it. -brian [Q]

Yeah, about this, I've heard that some professors don't let students use graphing calculators in Calculus classes. Is this true?

And yes I intend to take Pre-calc and Calculus 1.

Thanks
Ashwin

Definitely look into wht your prof. will allow. i had to buty the TI-83 when I took calculus, and it served me well. The TI-89 is great, but it only really becomes necessary once you get to differential equations, where you have to do several derivatives or integrals before you can even figure out which method is best for solving the differential equation. Even with the TI-89, I kept my 83 because some of my teachers explicitly banned the use of any calculator that can do symbolic manipulations. I say get the 83 , because your calc teacher will probably not let you use anything more powerful, and if you continue to linear algebra, multivariate calc, and diffy Q's, sell the 83 and get an 89.

there is a newer version of the TI-83 called the Ti-82 plus, if you are required to get a graphing calculator get the one that is used by most of your classmates, that way you can share programs and the like. As for calculus, my classes had a no programmable calculator rule, so definitelt look into it. If yor worried about price you should be able to pick up a second hand ti-83 on ebay for a decent price, look into it!!

I'd go for the TI-89 and the TI-83 PLUS (if ur gonna get ti-83). The plus graphs way faster. It's also cool to have the 89 handy, because sometimes teachers let you use them on tests, and sometimes not. But it's always handy to have it as a tool to check for the take-home quizes, group-work, and homeworks.

Originally posted by Alleria
More useful than just symbolic manipluations, is the fact that it has *units*. The number of times when the thing has saved my ass with unit analysis (or alerting me that I screwed up somewhere by spitting out something with absurd units) is amazing.

No kidding!!! I didn't even think about that. Just in the past week, I've used my TI-89 as a unit converter about 4 times.

I have a TI-89, and I used to have a TI-86 (before my brother broke it).

When I had both, I used the TI-86 a lot more, even in college level calculus. It's a lot easier to operate (requires fewer keystrokes for operations). The 89 has a cumbersome interface.

Also, the 89 can do derivatives and integrals, but it has problems solving the more complicated kinds that you're actually going to see on Calc. tests. Also, teachers want you to show work so just having the answer doesn't do much good.

I'd go with an 86.

Here's the deal, I have a Ti89 and love it because it lets me check my answers (i.e. it integrates and derivates). However, in college I have rarely been able to use it in a class (i am a math major). So get it if you want but you probably wont even be able to use it.

You probably should check ebay too, you'll get a much better deal.

I love my TI-86! It's one of the most sophisticated calculators that is still allowed to be used during tests. Regardless of which calculator you get, you should also get the link cable so you can connect it to your computer and download programs. The 86 doesn't do inferential statistics, but you can download a program that will. There's a great website for downloading both games and useful programs...I think it's ticalc.org or something like that.

Members don't see this ad :)
if you can, definately go with the TI-89. very, very nice. when I took AP calc in h.s., our school loaned 89's out to everyone for the whole year and I fell in love with it.

the only problem was that when I got to college, the TI89 was not allowed!!!!! so I bought a TI-86. not bad, but definately a step down, IMO.

also, I got my 86 in eBay for 45 bucks. not too shabby:cool:

get the cheapest one that you will need for your class. a graphing calculator is not neccesary for anything past algebra. if you need a calculator to do integrals or derivatives, you haven't learned calculus. an integral table is just as easy to use, and if the derivatives/integrals are extremely complicated, programs like mathematica are essential. if you decide to take calculus, memorize the basic integrals and derivatives instead of using a calculator. it will make other classes later on, such as physics, much easier.

The 89 is the way to go. I am an engineering student, and have taken grad level math courses. Its user interface is NOT hard to use. It has some nice features like pretty-print that make it easy to read and use. It is a step above the 86. Most of my PhD friends in engineering have an 89 and use it religiously. It will solve integrals and differentiate symbolically (along with algebraic equations). It can graph in 3D along with plot differential questions and solve them. It can row reduce matrices and do pretty much all that you need to do with them. I would tell anyone to go with the 89 over the other ones.

Also, you can get it off of EBay NEW and UNOPENED for less than $100. I got mine for like $98 with shipping, and that was over 3 years ago.

ti83 all the way. it's gone through high school and college with me.

Originally posted by Terje131
if you need a calculator to do integrals or derivatives, you haven't learned calculus.

In Diffy Q's, all the people without the TI-89 did the integrals & derivatives by hand, and I felt bad for them--those of us with calculators saved a world of time, especially when there were trig functions involved. It's not about needing the 89, but why punish yourself?

The TIs are nice calculators, for sure, but I can't believe nobody has mentioned the HP calculators (or maybe they have... I didn't read the thread very carefully). The high-end HPs are serious pieces of equipment, and personally I think they put the TIs to shame. (Though most people just taking freshman calc will not even begin to utilize all the features, so they are probably overkill. But I programmed the hell out of mine and it was a serious workhorse for me in the later years of school... though in grad school I moved up to hardcore math programs like Maple and Mathematica.)

(edit: my gf just told me that HP has suspended their high-end calculator line. Too bad. :( )

TI-89 or 92 models are superior calculators, no doubt... but in Calculus classes most likely you won't be able to use them on the tests... Don't buy either one unless you'll be taking more advance math classes in later years of schooling. TI-83 Plus does just fine, especially since instructors are very proficient in it and will be more of the help to you.
Good luck!

We use TI-83's for statistics class ONLY.
We use TI-86's for everything else.

You guys are lucky. I was never allowed to use a calculator in any of my college calculus classes at UF.

You don't need a $100 calculator!

In fact, you'll probably do much better in your math classes if you concentrate on learning to do this stuff by hand. Later, if you go into a profession where you actually need calculus, you can spring for the pocket-computer. In the meantime, all you're doing is having the machine do something that you should be learning to do yourself. Your grades will be better in the long run if you avoid that very common trap.

I've made it all the way through two masters' in nuclear engineering and mechanical engineering with my little ol' TI-30 (arithmetic, sin, cos, tan), and I honestly think that both my understanding and my grades are better for it.

Good luck!

i'd spring for the ti-83 just to help with hw. when i took calc1 and 2 tho, we weren't allowed to use calculators.

I totally agree with SpaceKat.
Our calc class wasn't even allowed to use calculators on most of our exams. Alot of people I know studied with TI-89's cause it can solve alot of the problems for you, but when you actually need to know how to work the problems, its best to get your basic $20 calculator and learn the material. I was just fine with my little Polish Reverse Notation calculator, and really can't think of times when I needed something more.

Just my $0.02. Have a great day! :love: