Optometry What can I do to improve my application?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Mr.Smile12

Admissions advisor
Staff member
Lifetime Donor
10+ Year Member
Reaction score
I am currently a pre-optometry student in my junior year of college. Last year I had a rough time due to various reasons such as depression among other personal issues. During this time my studies were not really my main focus and I did not end the school year well. My GPA dropped and I worked over the summer to bring it up, but I am still sitting at a low 3.07 right now. I am improving drastically in my classes and I will most likely finish the year with my GPA around 3.2 -3.3. I know this is low compared to other students. I have about 100 hours of shadowing among other extracurricular activities, as well as a job, but is there anything else I can do to be a little more secure in my application? I haven't taken the OAT yet, but I am studying to take it in the spring.

First things first: have you gone to any admissions/recruiting events run at optometry programs and made connections with admissions staff and current students?

Are you getting help with your depression?

What is your major? What type of university do you attend? Do you have a pre-optometry club on-campus or is it just general prehealth? Is there a prehealth advisor on campus? What is your science GPA?

Members don't see this ad.

Status
Not open for further replies.