General Admissions & OTCAS What can I do to improve my chances??

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

alh2016

5+ Year Member
2+ Year Member
Reaction score
This round I applied to Tech, UTHSCSA, TWU, UTEP, LSU, OU and Abilene Christian and have been denied almost everywhere (have not heard back from OU, ACU or UTEP). I need advice on what I can do to strengthen my application for the next round and other schools I could apply to in the future.

My overall GPA from Texas A&M is a 3.35 and my last 60 hours GPA is a 3.9. I have made all A's and B's in my pre-reqs except for Anatomy I (made a C) so I am retaking that course this spring at a local community college.
I work as a therapy tech and have over 600 work hours there and have observed a total of 200 hours from acute care, outpatient rehab, pediatrics and geriatrics.
My GRE score is verbal 152, quantitative 150, 4 analytical.

I really think my anatomy grade is what is holding me back. What are some suggestions y'all have? Is OT school too far of a stretch and should I consider an OTA program instead?

Members don't see this ad.

This round I applied to Tech, UTHSCSA, TWU, UTEP, LSU, OU and Abilene Christian and have been denied almost everywhere (have not heard back from OU, ACU or UTEP). I need advice on what I can do to strengthen my application for the next round and other schools I could apply to in the future.

My overall GPA from Texas A&M is a 3.35 and my last 60 hours GPA is a 3.9. I have made all A's and B's in my pre-reqs except for Anatomy I (made a C) so I am retaking that course this spring at a local community college.
I work as a therapy tech and have over 600 work hours there and have observed a total of 200 hours from acute care, outpatient rehab, pediatrics and geriatrics.
My GRE score is verbal 152, quantitative 150, 4 analytical.

I really think my anatomy grade is what is holding me back. What are some suggestions y'all have? Is OT school too far of a stretch and should I consider an OTA program instead?

Your stats look very similar to what mine were. I was also rejected my first time around but was accepted last year. Good plan on retaking Anatomy, that will bring your GPA up a little more but it also shows that you aren't willing to accept the minimum for a class. Just stay focused and aim for an A in that class. Have multiple people read your personal statement. That is what held me back the first time around. The second time my PS was way better and I do think that is what made me a more competitive applicant.

Good luck!

I would work on other parts of your application from what it seems your grades and test are the averages of what schools seem to be accepting. I would highly recommend really working on your personal statement. OTCAS doesn't have a word limit this year just a size limit. I suggest starting with a narrative then working in your experiences. You are given a lot of room, hit or get close to the word limit. Also, your work experience looks amazing. Do you highlight your achievements at work on your resume? Here are resources you may find helpful.

https://owl.english.purdue.edu/owl/resource/642/01/

https://www.sais-jhu.edu/sites/default/files/Effective Resumes_2.pdf

Also, your recommendations REALLY count. Perhaps, you could give your recommenders some suggestions of things you are proud of that you would like them to include that showed leadership skills, or going above and beyond.

I would choose a few schools and really really get to know the admissions (in a not pesky) way early before admissions even open. Next round if you have to reapply consider schools that do interviews. Submit early! It's always a positive to get face time with admissions. Get in touch with the programs before reapplying see if you can visit any meet with the admissions coordinator and ask them how you could better your app. Ask to sit in on a class! Show up well dressed early and ready to take notes in the class. Stay after to ask the professor questions. Show them you're ready and committed.

Reactions: 1 user