What can I improve?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

GoRiceOwls

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
Thanks!

Members don't see this ad.

Last edited:
What can I do to increase my odds? I am so passionate about med but my numbers I feel are restricting me.

At this time, I am only considering MD schools, although I am familiarizing myself with osteopathic medicine.

You have a solid application. Write a killer PS, get GOOD LORs, and practice interviewing. Apply to enough schools. Apply early.

Your numbers are average for applicants. Make yourself standout in other ways.

By "~3.5" do you mean slightly above 3.5 or slightly below? I feel like that might make a difference.

Have you done any teaching and do you have any non-clinical volunteering? Do you think you can get amazing LORs from your PI and other professors?

Looks like the best things you can do are apply early, and write an awesome personal statement/secondaries. I think if you do these things, you have a pretty good shot in Texas.

Members don't see this ad :)
Too much personal info in this post!

Last edited:
@Hobbes - how do you recommend standing out in other ways? I think taht's what I meant by how exactly can I improve. I don't expect a step-by-step, but I would like to hear your suggestions please.

@Hobbes - how do you recommend standing out in other ways? I think taht's what I meant by how exactly can I improve. I don't expect a step-by-step, but I would like to hear your suggestions please.

You're up to cool things. Make sure you communicate that in your AMCAS PS and activities.

Be sure you choose your letter-writers wisely. Good letters of recommendation are definitely very beneficial because it is the only part of your application that gives the adcoms insight as to how other professionals view you. You don't HAVE to have a doctor write a rec for you (which I think you alluded to earlier), I didn't. I got 3 professors, my research mentor, and my "boss"/academic advisor (I was a tutor for the department).

Based on stats alone, you are borderline for some of the texas public schools (A&M, Galveston, Tech, UTHSCSA), but your extra-curriculars are so stellar I wouldn't be too surprised if some of the other Texas schools AT LEAST offer you an interview.

Best of luck to you!

Should i re-take mcat?

A MCAT retake is probably not necessary as long as you apply to realistic schools.

If you are bored and have loads of free time to study, go ahead, but a 30 is a a respectable score.

Your application seems solid. Start working on that personal statement.

Thanks Hobbes. Haha--I have NO free time. NONE! I was just thinking of delaying applying a year to take the MCAT again.

Sorry to ask a billion questions, but what schools outside of texas would you guys recommend for me to look at? I know that the school still has to fit ME and I still need to educate myself on the schools, but I'm not sure what other schools out there would be a good idea to look at.

Do you consider yourself smarter than the average applicant? If no, retake the MCAT. If not, don't.

Be honest ;p

Morsetlis, are you a troll? I think that I could have done much better on my MCAT but had some extenuating circumstances at the time.

I'm not a troll. Many people would prefer nice words. I use realistic words.

My philosophy is: being realistic saves you time, money, and disappointment.

There's a difference between being realistic and being abrasive.

I'm not a troll. Many people would prefer nice words. I use realistic words.

My philosophy is: being realistic saves you time, money, and disappointment.

Gay asian troll ;p He lives under a bridge too, and preys on sheep.