What can I report on the AMCAS???

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

astrife

10+ Year Member
5+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
I'm in high school... and I'm contemplating doing some overseas volunteer work the summer after my graduation before college... can I report this on my AMCAS?

I know your not supposed to include stuff from high school... so just wondering if this counts...

Members don't see this ad.

No one is going to stop you from doing it.

astrife said:
I'm in high school... and I'm contemplating doing some overseas volunteer work the summer after my graduation before college... can I report this on my AMCAS?

I know your not supposed to include stuff from high school... so just wondering if this counts...

I would. Report it because it shows that you are not just doing it for the application 6 months prior to submitting it.

Members don't see this ad :)
I think on AMCAS you include everything you've done after high school, so next summer would indeed be listed. From graduation on, keep a list of activities in which you involve yourself.

What if volunteer work was done during highschool (but during early admissions)? I went to college full time my senior year in high school....does volunteer work during that time count?)hmmmm.....

daisy958 said:
What if volunteer work was done during highschool (but during early admissions)? I went to college full time my senior year in high school....does volunteer work during that time count?)hmmmm.....

I went to college full time my senior year as well, but no, you cannot include it unless is it POST high school graduation. I still graduated with my after my senior year, so I couldn't include anything I did do that year even though I was in college.

To the OP, yes, you can include work you do starting right after you graduate.

Some people list things that they did in H.S. No one will stop you from doing this.

Applicants do this either because they want to list something impressive (liking winning an Intel Science Talent Search prize or becoming an Eagle Scout) or because they didn't do much in college & feel the need to pad the AMCAS. If you do enough in college, you may not have room for the overseas trip on your list of experiences (or you will fold it into a description of subsequent overseas trips).

I would include it - doctors are supposed to have a lifelong commitment to the field, and as long as you keep up your volunteering/clinical through undergrad it will only make your app. look more impressive.
Secondly, don't contemplate it - Just Do It! It may well provide you with an experience that is way more valuable than the possibility of putting it on your AMCAS.