what can you contribute to the class

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

cHocoBo 118

20+ Year Member
Reaction score

Members don't see this ad.

Last edited:
I think what they want to know is what can you as a person contribute. Not what experiences you can contribute, but what personal attributes will you bring. Personally, if they asked what I can DO for the class, that would be easy - I bake. A lot. I'd make everyone fat.

Start with something like this and explain your reasoning, maybe it will work:
I am not a beautiful and unique snowflake. I am the same decaying organic matter as everyone else, and we are all part of the same compost pile.

Thanks Chuck!

Reactions: 1 user
Members don't see this ad :)
ShyRem said:
Personally, if they asked what I can DO for the class, that would be easy - I bake. A lot. I'd make everyone fat.

:thumbup:
Where are you applying to? ;)
Please let me know where you enroll so I can adjust my plans accordingly.

i always wrote about having a unique perspective on things due to my background, being a good classmate and a whole bunch of crap i forgot. boy it was easy to crap those days

cHocoBo 118 said:
I'm having a very very hard time answering this question. It's not like i can give other poeple insight onto what its like being in the hospital... or what its like goign overseas for mission since there are bound to be a good handful that also did something similar. Am i going about this question completely wrong? I was hoping there would be some kind souls out there that can help me get the ball rolling by giving me some ideas to think about. thanks in advance

How about saying you can quote entire Final Fantasy games from memory?

Cecil: "Golbez! Ahhh!"

Or you can recite all the dialogue from Monty Python and Holy Grail?

"Bring out your dead!" Ding! "Bring out your dead" Ding!
Old man: "Here's one"
Worker: "Nine pence"
Dead guy: "I'm not dead"
Worker: "What?"
Old man: "Nothing, here's your nine pence"
Dead guy: "I'm not dead"
Worker: "Here - he says he's not dead"
Old man: "Yes he is"
Dead guy: "I'm not"
Worker: "He isn't"
Old man: "Well, he will be soon, he's very ill"
Dead guy: "I'm getting better!"
Old man: "No, you're not. You'll be stone dead in a moment!"

Or you know the words to all the songs from the HMS Pinafore?

"That junior partnership I weened
was the only ship that I ever had seen.
But that kind of ship so suited me
that now I am the ruler of the Queen's Navy"

wait wait u can quote monty python too! snap there goes my contribution...how bout quoting family guy...backwards...with character voices....!

spam, spam, spam, spam..... :laugh:

jeez... I know so many people who can quote Python. What's wrong with you guys??

Call me a treasure hunter or I'll rip your lungs out!!

I'm a general, not some opera floozie!

My life is a chip in your pile. Ante up!

cHocoBo 118 said:
haha great ideas. For some of these ridiculous secondaries, I seriosuly want to send in a ridiculous response like that just for fun.

I guess i'll just go off on the typical ... I have a willingness to learn, can work great with others, and all in all, i'm just an incredibly lovable guy. *sarcasm*
p.s. My favorite monty python scene has got to be hte one where the guy chops off each limb one by one and leaves the guy with none left who still yells.. ."get back heah... i'll BITE yo neck off!!"

LOL!

Black Knight: "None shall pass!"
Arthur: "What?"
Black Knight: "None shall pass!"
Arthur: "I command you, as King of the Britons, to stand aside."
Black Knight: "I move... for no man."
Arthur: "So be it!"

Then one of the greatest MP fight scenes ever!

Dr2010 said:
wait wait u can quote monty python too! snap there goes my contribution...how bout quoting family guy...backwards...with character voices....!

Family guy is an awesome show. However, my voice impersonation leaves something to be desired.

cHocoBo 118 said:
I'm having a very very hard time answering this question. It's not like i can give other poeple insight onto what its like being in the hospital... or what its like goign overseas for mission since there are bound to be a good handful that also did something similar. Am i going about this question completely wrong? I was hoping there would be some kind souls out there that can help me get the ball rolling by giving me some ideas to think about. thanks in advance

it may be true that there are people who have done similar things to you, but despite that, every person has their own distinct experiences that are different from everyone elses that form and shape your personality, views, etc.......which in turn make you the unique individual you are today.

and you assume too much in thinking that many people share your experiences. for example, ive never been on an overseas mission and always found it interesting to listen to the people who have been there and personally experienced it. and in turn, i am pretty confident that there are some things that i have experienced that would be new to you.

what do you think you have that many others might not? dont short change yourself. its a chance to get intimate and show the school a little better what kind of person you are.

you gotta stop thinking about what might impress the admission committee members or what would separate you from others. And focus more on what you really consider would be your biggest strength or what you feel really makes you're most proudest (to put it in a vague and cliched way).

Is it blasphemous of me to say that I've never seen Monty Python before?

jus use my signature

uspostal said:
jus use my signature

And follow it with:

Zed: Bring out the Gimp.
Maynard: But the Gimp's sleeping.
Zed: Well, I guess you're gonna have to go wake him up now, won't you?

:D

SanDiegoSOD said:
And follow it with:

Zed: Bring out the Gimp.
Maynard: But the Gimp's sleeping.
Zed: Well, I guess you're gonna have to go wake him up now, won't you?

:D
HAR HAR!!!!

Serious answer:

I look at what sets me apart from the rest of the class. On my best days, what will I bring to the class that will make it better.

I am probably 7 years older than the average applicant. I have served for 8 years in the military as an officer. So I tend to talk about maturity, experience, and leadership abilities. I plan to get a house, so I could talk about having class parties that help bring the class together (but I don't, because it doesn't seem serious enough to me, but that's me).

If I was young and brainy, I'd talk about how I might be able to tutor classmates that are having trouble. If I was an athelete I might talk about getting together athletic events for recreation. If I was a guitar player, I might talk about playing for classmates at parties.

It's all you.... what *do* you bring to a class? What role do you play in your undergraduate class? Planning on changing for med school? Are you a loner, so you have a tough time even conceiving of the question (yeah, I understand that)? Pretend you're not for one essay.

I would take the experiences that you've had i.e. mission work, volunteering, and talk about what those experiences taught you and how they may have influenced your personal characteristics in some way. I for one used to work construction with a lot of older guys who were the primary breadwinners for their families. I talked about how seeing them at the jobsite at 6am every morning ready to bust their butts all day to earn their paycheck taught me a lot about perserverance and accountability. Hope that helps a bit.