What can you do with a masters in clinical psychology?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

wonderboy123

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
Thanks!

Members don't see this ad.

It depends on multiple factors, mostly the state you work in. Licensing differs among states, but generally you will have two options- a supervised level and an independent level. You will do the engage in the same activities, but what differs if you have to practice under ones license or not. There are two other options, some states (like Ohio) don't offer licensing for those with a masters and the other option (which is only valid in one state) is that you can become a licensed psychologist.

For the most part you will be doing the same duties as a psychologist; that is, therapy, assessment, diagnosis, and treatment planning for the most part.

Members don't see this ad :)
Hi everyone
I'm currently an MD (not in psychiatry) but have realized my passion for clinical psychology and would like to pursue further training. What routes are available to me? I've considered taking online courses or going in a separate direction involving life coaching. I've already committed much of my life to complete my training otherwise I would go for a PhD. Does anyone have any suggestions?

Hi everyone
I'm currently an MD (not in psychiatry) but have realized my passion for clinical psychology and would like to pursue further training. What routes are available to me? I've considered taking online courses or going in a separate direction involving life coaching. I've already committed much of my life to complete my training otherwise I would go for a PhD. Does anyone have any suggestions?

Unfortunately, short of a doctorate (and I wouldn't at all recommend the online route for that), adequate training in clinical psychology to allow for competent practice will be tough to come by. There are options of pursuing a masters in clinical psych, although practice/license options are somewhat limited. A less-limited option would be a masters in social work, counseling, or marital and family therapy.

Although perhaps first, I should ask--what is it about psychology that interests you, and what are your career goals with it (e.g., how do you want to integrate it into what you already do, or are you entirely abandoning the physician route)?

I'm not at all well-versed in the intricacies of post-grad medical training, but I wonder if a second residency and/or fellowship in psychiatry might also be an option? Again, depending on career goals.

I'm interested in mood disorders specifically as I live with bipolar disorder. I have a system that I use to stay symptom free and would like to combine that with some counseling skills to help others who have similar problems, maybe over skype as a therapist. A second residency would not be possible as I'm currently working part time.

I'm interested in mood disorders specifically as I live with bipolar disorder. I have a system that I use to stay symptom free and would like to combine that with some counseling skills to help others who have similar problems, maybe over skype as a therapist. A second residency would not be possible as I'm currently working part time.

Therapy over Skype is going to be difficult, and runs into many of its own unique issues (not least of which is that Skype generally isn't HIPAA-compliant). Telehealth therapy is certainly a big thing right now, although those setups usually involve the patient presenting to a nearby clinic so that a nurse or tech is available at the site in the event of a medical or mental health crisis. Also, while there are great clinician-researchers who've used their own struggles with mental health conditions to then develop appropriate treatments (e.g., Linehan and DBT, Hayes and ACT, etc.), it can also make it more difficult to maintain appropriate boundaries, and to take an objective stance (e.g., just because something worked for you doesn't necessary mean it's the best intervention for someone else).

A therapy-focused social work program may be the most realistic option at this point. But even then, I wouldn't advocate for online training in any career path that involves clinical contact (as I'm sure you would think it's ridiculous that someone could complete an online medical school curriculum and then be qualified to competently treat patients).

Reactions: 1 user
Perhaps you could collaborate with someone on researching this system further. As AA mentioned others have utilized their own experiences with specific illnesses to develop treatments, but these were developed and tested through research. To start administering treatments after an n=1 is not ethical either in medicine or psychology.

Reactions: 1 user