What Can You Do with A PharmD?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Qalb

-Amor est vitae essentia-
10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
I've volunteered at a hospital pharmacy for a year and now I'm working in a retail setting, which I find quite boring. Also, I've done research and I am currently in a teaching internship. I haven't been able to stalk anyone who has a PharmD that doesn't work in a hospital or retail setting, yet.

I don't know what to do, I am planning to obtain a PharmD but I might rip my nails off if I work in a retail or hospital setting counting pills for the rest of my life.

I am looking into Pharmaceutical Sales/Consulting.

Does anyone know a Pharmacist who did something else with his or her pharmacy degree?

Please share your thoughts.

Members don't see this ad.

Well I'm only a student so by no means am I an authority, but I can tell you what I know. So we've spent a lot of this first quarter going over different things you can do with a PharmD. Some pharmacists work in Poison Control. You know that number you call if you get poisoned, well its a pharmacist that's on the other end. They have to know a lot about the reaction mechanisms of different chemicals so they know how to best proceed with the situation. They also coordinate the doctor with the patient if the patient needs emergency treatment. There are jobs in pharmacy management. We've heard speakers come and talk about how they are the ones making the decisions for what brands of drugs are used in certain hospitals; how to minimize cost but with the maximum benefit for the patient. They also write grants so that they can convince hospitals that they need x, or they need y, or whatever it is they need. When you said hospital, well that's kind of vague. The pharmacist has a different role in the Ambulatory Clinic, General Medicine Clinic, HIV Clinic, Oncology Clinic, Pediatric Clinic, Geriatic Clinic, etc. There's also pharmacists that work in Investigational Drugs, Insurance Companies, Research, Teaching, etc. Anyway, before I started the Pharm.D. program I kind of thought it was all about hospitals, and retail, but there really is a lot more ^_^

Members don't see this ad :)
I've volunteered at a hospital pharmacy for a year and now I'm working in a retail setting, which I find quite boring. Also, I've done research and I am currently in a teaching internship. I haven't been able to stalk anyone who has a PharmD that doesn't work in a hospital or retail setting, yet.

I don't know what to do, I am planning to obtain a PharmD but I might rip my nails off if I work in a retail or hospital setting counting pills for the rest of my life.

Does anyone know a Pharmacist who did something else with his or her pharmacy degree?

Please share your thoughts.

Don't go with the crowd since you look for something different. Get your pharm D first. Just think of this way, new job or careers are not created for normal people. Companies are always look for unique people with different background and information. I have a friend who also about to finish her JD after her PharmD degree. The girls only 28 years old and I think the sky is her limit. I had friend who work for Genzymes, a very unique drug company. Enough said! Opportunities are out there, so you have to look for it. Good luck!

If you mean, being a sales rep for a big pharma company, you would be better off without Pharm.D.. I have attended sales training class for a couple days, and I can tell you I would be fired and/or arrested very quickly, because I could never resist speaking what my clinical judgment tells me rather than company-approved messaging.

And as others have said, you can do just about anything with a Pharm.D.. I don't know another degree that would allow for such a variety of choices. From marketing to retail to research to clinical - pharmacists do it all. :)

i will find a cure and eradicate inequality and discrimination in education and work