What can you do your first year

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

jngo2

10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
I've heard many things from a couple second and third years about how to prepare for the boards. Some people tell me don't worry about your classes, just prepare as well as you can, don't look at First Aid and just relax. Others have told me to use first aid as much as I can to add additional notes.

I wanted to know the advice from other students?

Should I study during the summer break between first and second year?

Should I use first aid and how??? seems like a lot of the stuff is mostly second year material?

Should I work really hard in my classes first year and risk burning out??? Should I take them easily and relax???

Practically speaking, is there much a first year can do to prepare for the boards? A third year told me 90% of what was on his boards came from his second year material.

Any advice would be greatly appreciated.

Members don't see this ad.

I've heard many things from a couple second and third years about how to prepare for the boards. Some people tell me don't worry about your classes, just prepare as well as you can, don't look at First Aid and just relax. Others have told me to use first aid as much as I can to add additional notes.

I wanted to know the advice from other students?

Should I study during the summer break between first and second year?

Should I use first aid and how??? seems like a lot of the stuff is mostly second year material?

Should I work really hard in my classes first year and risk burning out??? Should I take them easily and relax???

Practically speaking, is there much a first year can do to prepare for the boards? A third year told me 90% of what was on his boards came from his second year material.

Any advice would be greatly appreciated.

Don't worry abot Step One until Spring of second year. The best thing to do is to work hard for two years and the rest takes care of itself. DON'T study over the summer. It's pretty low yield and there's so much else you could do over your last real summer.

I was a medicocre student frst 2 years (all "pass") and didn't start preparing for step one until 6 weeks before. I ended up doing pretty well (240's). I wold not reccommned that strategy for everyone, but I think it shows that you don't have to go insane from the first day of med school.

Don't worry abot Step One until Spring of second year. The best thing to do is to work hard for two years and the rest takes care of itself. DON'T study over the summer. It's pretty low yield and there's so much else you could do over your last real summer.

I was a medicocre student frst 2 years (all "pass") and didn't start preparing for step one until 6 weeks before. I ended up doing pretty well (240's). I wold not reccommned that strategy for everyone, but I think it shows that you don't have to go insane from the first day of med school.

Agreed! :thumbup:

I kinda disagree with the above advice. Studying now for step 1 IS useless, however, you can get a copy of first aid and start annotating it now...going along with your classes, biochem, Gross, and biostats and what not so you dont have to do it later, it will all be review. Just jot down notes and clarifications that help you understand whats allready in first aid. Dont add more stuff since with your profs throwing all this BS at you it will be hard to tell whats high yield.

Do study hard over first year to build a good base of knowledge, you wont burn out.
DONT study over summer its pointless and after studying hard first year you need the break to avoid burning out.
Most the material is second year but there is biochem and anatomy and stats on there sp dont just gloss over them.

Members don't see this ad :)
I kinda disagree with the above advice. Studying now for step 1 IS useless, however, you can get a copy of first aid and start annotating it now...going along with your classes, biochem, Gross, and biostats and what not so you dont have to do it later, it will all be review. Just jot down notes and clarifications that help you understand whats allready in first aid. Dont add more stuff since with your profs throwing all this BS at you it will be hard to tell whats high yield.

Do study hard over first year to build a good base of knowledge, you wont burn out.
DONT study over summer its pointless and after studying hard first year you need the break to avoid burning out.
Most the material is second year but there is biochem and anatomy and stats on there sp dont just gloss over them.

Good adendum on the original reply.

The difficult would be that the new StepUp as well as First aid (I believe) are organized by systems which could make following along difficult.

The Board Review Series books can be helpful to annotate in since they are by subject rather than system.

I wish I had done that actually...not so much for step one but just to do better in class.