What Class Should I Take?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Get help with your application

Use all the free resources available to you from SDN: articles, guides, expert advising, forums discussions, and school research.

Dust13

New Member
5+ Year Member
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
I am looking to start a career in the medical field this summer. I will be taking some classes, but I am unsure of where to start. My goal would be to work in the operating room as a surgeon. This is where it gets tricky for me so I would appreciate your advice.

Should I take CNA classes? I have read many articles that working your way from the bottom to the top makes one a better person since they will possess a better understanding of what goes on. Plus I think it will help me start gaining experience since I can start working right away in the medical field.

Or should I start working toward a bachelor degree in biology? I also saw that my college offers a degree in Surgical Technology and a fast track program in Sterile Processing Technician. I was thinking about taking the Sterile Processing course this summer since it is one semester long. My only concern is will I be able to start working in the OR right away or will it be a waste of time since it is a fast track program? The only reason I am considering the program is so I can start gaining experience in the OR. To be a scrub technician, do you need a degree? What exactly is the process like in order to become a scrub?

Thanks for reading this and I look forward to hearing from you guys. The help will be greatly appreciated. If there is something else you may recommend, then I am all ears.
 
You can major in whatever you want to, as long as you obtain a degree and take the medical school prerequisite courses. Do some research on the requirements. Also shadow physicians and volunteer to see if this career is really for you.