What classes are usually recommended before doing research?

panvard92

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
I know it's a vague question, but I kinda want to start research as a freshman (I'll need a job anyway, so why not in a lab?), but how much background knowledge does it need? Like if I want to do something related to neuro, then would AP Bio suffice, or would I need advanced classes?...or is it case by case?

Members don't see this ad.

Case by Case

So far, I have learned a lot bio and chem while working in a lab (without having any prior experiences). Right now I am doing research in lung biology, coming in I knew nothing however now I can talk all day about lung pathology etc.

Take a good bio and chem course in my opinion. But, you can learn A LOT of science just working in a lab and not having any knowledge of science.

Last edited:
Case by Case

So far, I have learned a lot bio and chem while working in a lab (without having any prior experiences). Right now I am doing research in lung biology, coming in I knew nothing however now I can talk all day about lung pathology etc.

Take a good bio and chem course in my opinion. But, you can learn A LOT of science just working in a lab and not having any knowledge of science.

Very true, for the most part, doing research is actually just you doing the grunt work, and then getting small chances to really contribute. From just working in my lab for somewhat over a year I can now go on forever about dental imaging, new types of dental imaging, how the imaging technologies work, cancer forming in the oral mucosa, how the tissue becomes different on a cellular level and how that shows up on different imaging systems, etc.

I've found that most labs want you to be at least a sophomore, and have taken a year of bio and a year of chem, and biochem is also handy. You'll find that some labs are the more grunt work ones, and they might not care as much which classes you've taken, but other labs actively want you to contribute to the writing of papers in addition to the grunt work, and they usually care more that you have a solid foundation in the sciences.

Members don't see this ad :)
Case by Case

Working in a research lab at high level amazes me. Cursorily, how did you get a chance doing a lunch biology research? Did your AP Bio teacher recommend you?

Thank you.

Working in a research lab at high level amazes me. Cursorily, how did you get a chance doing a lunch biology research? Did your AP Bio teacher recommend you?

Thank you.

Yes, my Ap bio teacher recommended me. Lol I was definitely not one of his top students (I had a C and did not take Ap bio test) or in general high preforming student (2.7 GPA, lol who cares still going to college). But, he knew I was interested in medicine and lab work. He nominated me then wrote a reccomendation.

Here is the program website: http://biochemistry.ucsf.edu/programs/sep/internships.html

If you get involved with a "real" research project, the fact is that you can't really prepare yourself all that much for it. Sure, your classes will help, but the research is so specialized that you probably wouldn't learn about the specific topic until you entered graduate school (if then).

Take AP science classes, but there's not much else you can do beyond that.

Yes, my Ap bio teacher recommended me. Lol I was definitely not one of his top students (I had a C and did not take Ap bio test) or in general high preforming student (2.7 GPA, lol who cares still going to college). But, he knew I was interested in medicine and lab work. He nominated me then wrote a reccomendation.

Here is the program website: http://biochemistry.ucsf.edu/programs/sep/internships.html

Your teacher must be really nice. Congratulations! I hope you are enjoying it! :)