what classes should i take?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

iheartmycorgi

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
I'm registering for fall 09 semester tomorrow and it will be the last year of my undergrad. I'm majoring in Animal Sciences (equine science) at the University of Arizona, and I've finished all my major classes and science classes. My major does not require me to take certain classes to graduate i.e. immunology, bacteriology, histology, or any other upper division science classes (besides biochem and cell biology) say that a pre-vet major would require, and I was wondering what classes I should take that would look the best on a transcript for vet school. These classes would just be elective credits so I want to make sure I'm taking classes that would prepare me better for vet school. Are there any that are better than others or that look better than other classes to vet schools? I was planning on taking Research Animal Methods, Food Safety and Ecology of Infectious Diseases or maybe virology and maybe take immunology in Spring 2010. I don't know... any suggestions? I want to be a livestock and equine vet if that helps.:D

Members don't see this ad.

i'd say to make sure your units add up to how much the school needs. i THINK michigan wanted 4 semester units, and a bunch of friends were only taking 4 quarter units...so they added a biochem lab to cover it. I'm doing the whole year of biochem and a microbiology minor. from what i've heard...classes to prepare you for vet school:

immunology
a neuroscience class
histology
physiology

OR, you could look at the schools that you want...see what classes they take their first year and see about taking a similar class.

or you could take calculus and that opens up more opportunities to schools you could apply to.

good luck!

Have a look around at the pre-req courses at schools you're interested to MAKE SURE you have all of those.

If you do, an anatomy/physiology type course is always going to be helpful - you'll have to know that stuff really well, so you might as well get started early.

Or, you could take something that you will enjoy, whatever that may be. No one needs 100% stress classes, all the time! :)

P.S. Corgis are awesome ;).

Last edited:
Members don't see this ad :)
Oh lord, I've been studying GRE math all day and my eyes are crossing. I thought the OP's screenname was "I EAT my corgi." :wow:

Endocrinology, pharmacology, or perhaps an animal dissection class (if your school offers one) have also been recommended to me.

I would recommend taking a cell bio class. (This is with a disclaimer that I haven't started vet school yet so I may be completely off the mark!) I think it'll be really helpful to have an undergrad level course prior to taking it at vet school! I also loved anatomy and physiology (if you haven't already taken one)