What classes to take?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

TroutTrout

5+ Year Member
Reaction score
I am in a unique situation and am wondering what classes would be worth my time? I have been accepted to a DO program for next year, however I am enrolled in minimum 12 credits at community college for the sole purpose of staying in the US to maintain my F-1 visa status so I can stay with my wife who is an American citizen (not applying for green card until matriculating into med school to make things less complicated). There are not a lot of courses available to me, so I am enrolled in Spanish, Yoga, Pathophysiology, and basically taking whatever I find interesting or fun. I will be taking immunology online through another institution as well.

I will have a research opportunity with one of the microbiology professors but not until next quarter. Is there any point in taking anatomy/physiology to make my life easier when I start med school, even though I have already taken those courses with A's at another school? I would like to be a TA and do an anatomy/omt fellowship if I get into another DO program that offers it. Or should I just take courses that are interesting or might help with patient contact like communication studies? Either way I HAVE to be enrolled in courses so I'm trying to figure out the best route to go.

Any input would be appreciated. What would you do in my situation?

Members don't see this ad.

Go for fun like yoga and a foreign language. I would do just that...just that. Courses good for patient contact: mmm.. I'd say ethics, acting, and speech class, maybe a cultural study class on latinos, asians, whatever group that is different from yours.

Reactions: 1 user
Medical ethics is something not really covered in medical school very well. If your community college offers it you should look at taking that. It's not to difficult of a class, and is pertinent.

Don't retake physiology. You will go into much greater detail in medical school than undergraduate physiology, so it won't be much use retaking it again now.

Look into an autoshop class too. Being able to take care of your own car is something not many young people are able to do nowadays. Being able to replace your own breaks etc. will save you a few hundred dollars down the road.

Reactions: 1 user
In Med school now and I HIGHLY REGRET not taking any form of anatomy before Med school. Imagine your first form of anatomy being on a med school level. For me it was extremely difficult to transition into and I am sure that if I had some sort of background it would've been easier for me. A lot of students complain about having to relearn the same material except in greater detail but they don't understand the advantage they have. They can transition into newer material quicker than somebody like me and when you're studying for four exams, that makes all the difference. Take what everybody says with a grain of salt aka N=1. YMMV