What COMLEX/USMLE Score Must a DO Need for...

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

MedHrdMedOftn

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
What is the number/score or percentile a DO student must have on his/her COMLEX (or USMLEs if needed for allopathic residencies) Exam to be a competitive candidate for obtaining a 1. Dermatology 2. Cardiology 3. Internal Medicine residency?

I know it's a subjective question but anyone have a ball park figure?

Thank you

Members don't see this ad.

What is the number/score or percentile a DO student must have on his/her COMLEX (or USMLEs if needed for allopathic residencies) Exam to be a competitive candidate for obtaining a 1. Dermatology 2. Cardiology 3. Internal Medicine residency?

Thank you

1. Derm: better be in the top 25%, prob top 10%

2.Cardiology is a fellowship after IM residency, that's a different application process

3. IM is not that competitive, need avg/above avg scores.

Thank you

avg. USMLE scores as of 2011 (a la First Aid):

243 for derm

226 for internal medicine (cardiology is an internal medicine subspecialty-acceptance to a fellowship will depend quite a bit on your IM residency performance, but i would imagine that for people accepted to programs with cardiology fellowships attached the scores may be a bit higher).

Members don't see this ad :)
Download the Osteopathic GME Match Report (2009) for COMLEX averages

Since I have such a knowledgeable source of post grads (and current students) here - I was wondering if any of you can answer my other question for me located on a different page:
http://forums.studentdoctor.net/showthread.php?t=932818

Thank you all.

Some basic doctors prefer to work in a particular area because of either experience or interest. For example, some general surgeons focus particularly on breast care and surgery. Likewise some psychiatrists specialize or prefer to work with particular disorders, such as schizophrenia or mood disorders.
IM doctors I can imagine usually aren't as likely to do this, but I can see them particularly specializing in a pseudo-geriatrics type practice and focusing primarily on medical problems of the elderly, i.e obesity, hypertension, dementia, etc. But I'd imagine this doesn't happen much and most FM or IM doctors are doctors that take patients through the lifespan.

Some basic doctors prefer to work in a particular area because of either experience or interest. For example, some general surgeons focus particularly on breast care and surgery. Likewise some psychiatrists specialize or prefer to work with particular disorders, such as schizophrenia or mood disorders.
IM doctors I can imagine usually aren't as likely to do this, but I can see them particularly specializing in a pseudo-geriatrics type practice and focusing primarily on medical problems of the elderly, i.e obesity, hypertension, dementia, etc. But I'd imagine this doesn't happen much and most FM or IM doctors are doctors that take patients through the lifespan.

I agree...Ive even seen a fair amount of FM "specializing" in pediatrics...

But it is probably more common in other areas of medicine