Dismiss Notice
SDN members see fewer ads and full resolution images. Join our non-profit community!

What constitutes a science LOR?

Discussion in 'Pre-Medical - DO' started by EEL08, Apr 29, 2007.

1. EEL08

Medical Student
    I read in another thread that someone is using LOR from a physiology professor, epidemiology and something in health. That made me wonder what schools mean when they say 2 letters from science professors. Does that generally mean from any of the science categories listed by AACOMAS or just the required science classes for matriculation? I do plan on contacting some of the schools (especially PCOM) to find out what they say. I just wanted to see if anyone has any info in the meantime.

2. Thread continues after this sponsor message. SDN Members do not see this ad.

3. Dr.Inviz

Dr.Inviz Banned
    Banned

Pre-Medical
    Let's see, a science faculty LOR ... hmm, something about that is just confusing me. I don't know ... what exactly is science? It just baffles me, who do I go to for a science faculty LOR, I guess that nice looking professor has "science" by his door, I might see if he can hook me up even though I've never had him ... :laugh:

4. EEL08

Medical Student
    Okay maybe I should be more specific. I know AACOMAS considers some Epi to be science. I am currently working on my MPH with a concentration in Epi. Although my Epi professors do not have science by their doors I wasn't sure if maybe that could consitute a science letter.

5. Dr.Inviz

Dr.Inviz Banned
    Banned

Pre-Medical
    I would have thought it'd be obvious by now. Yes.

6. EEL08

Medical Student
    Thanks for the overwhelmingly friendly reply. Though it might seem obvious to you I think I will be double checking with the individual schools to make sure.

7. Dr.Inviz

Dr.Inviz Banned
    Banned

Pre-Medical
    It would have behooved you to do that prior to asking on SDN.

8. A science letter of recommendation is one given by a professor teaching the sciences. Usually he's in a biological or physics field.

9. Dr.Inviz

Dr.Inviz Banned
    Banned

Pre-Medical
    What about chemistry? :rolleyes:

10. That will work too.

Riker-Theta out. :cool:

11. EEL08

Medical Student
    Yes but I'm in the middle of trying to finish up these last two weeks of school. I will have more time to sit down and e-mail all my questions to the schools once all my finals are over. I was under the impression that people on this site have knowledge and suggestions to share so I thought I could post a quick thread so I would least have an idea of which professors I might be able to ask. Thank you.

12. JasonUD

JasonUD PGY-I

Resident [Any Field]
    There's a ton of crap on this site, lol. I take a science prof as a prof in the Biology, Chemistry, or Physics department. Any class in there should do. If you're unsure call the schools you're applying to. Good luck with finals.

13. EEL08

Medical Student
    Thank you very much! That's what I originally thought but then the other poster made me start to wonder if an Epi professor would count. I think I'll just stick with my O. Chem and Physics professors.

14. I think you're making a good decision. :)