What constitutes a science LOR?

Discussion in 'Pre-Medical - DO' started by EEL08, Apr 29, 2007.

1. EEL08

7+ Year Member

MDApps:
    Medical Student
    I read in another thread that someone is using LOR from a physiology professor, epidemiology and something in health. That made me wonder what schools mean when they say 2 letters from science professors. Does that generally mean from any of the science categories listed by AACOMAS or just the required science classes for matriculation? I do plan on contacting some of the schools (especially PCOM) to find out what they say. I just wanted to see if anyone has any info in the meantime.

2. Note: SDN Members do not see this ad.

3. Dr.Inviz

Dr.Inviz Membership Revoked
    Removed

Pre-Medical
    Let's see, a science faculty LOR ... hmm, something about that is just confusing me. I don't know ... what exactly is science? It just baffles me, who do I go to for a science faculty LOR, I guess that nice looking professor has "science" by his door, I might see if he can hook me up even though I've never had him ... :laugh:

4. EEL08

7+ Year Member

MDApps:
    Medical Student
    Okay maybe I should be more specific. I know AACOMAS considers some Epi to be science. I am currently working on my MPH with a concentration in Epi. Although my Epi professors do not have science by their doors I wasn't sure if maybe that could consitute a science letter.

5. Dr.Inviz

Removed

Pre-Medical
    I would have thought it'd be obvious by now. Yes.

6. EEL08

7+ Year Member

MDApps:
    Medical Student
    Thanks for the overwhelmingly friendly reply. Though it might seem obvious to you I think I will be double checking with the individual schools to make sure.

7. Dr.Inviz

Removed

Pre-Medical
    It would have behooved you to do that prior to asking on SDN.

8. A science letter of recommendation is one given by a professor teaching the sciences. Usually he's in a biological or physics field.

9. Dr.Inviz

Removed

Pre-Medical
    What about chemistry? :rolleyes:

10. That will work too.

Riker-Theta out. :cool:

11. EEL08

7+ Year Member

MDApps:
    Medical Student
    Yes but I'm in the middle of trying to finish up these last two weeks of school. I will have more time to sit down and e-mail all my questions to the schools once all my finals are over. I was under the impression that people on this site have knowledge and suggestions to share so I thought I could post a quick thread so I would least have an idea of which professors I might be able to ask. Thank you.

12. JasonUD

JasonUD PGY-I
    5+ Year Member

Resident [Any Field]
    There's a ton of crap on this site, lol. I take a science prof as a prof in the Biology, Chemistry, or Physics department. Any class in there should do. If you're unsure call the schools you're applying to. Good luck with finals.

13. EEL08

7+ Year Member

MDApps:
    Medical Student
    Thank you very much! That's what I originally thought but then the other poster made me start to wonder if an Epi professor would count. I think I'll just stick with my O. Chem and Physics professors.

14. I think you're making a good decision. :)