What counts as a science professor for a LoR?

Started by deleted925864
This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Get help with your application

Use all the free resources available to you from SDN: articles, guides, expert advising, forums discussions, and school research.

D

deleted925864

Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
Sorry if this is an obvious question, but I was wondering if letters of recommendation from any science professor count or if it has to be a BCP professor? I'm majoring in environmental science so most of the professors I know well are envs professors. All of the BCP classes I've taken are large lectures, so I don't really have any personal connections with any of these professors.

I also have a professor that is very highly regarded in his field; would a LoR from him carry more weight than one from a prof that may know me a little better who is less recognizable?
 
I used LOR from my Biochem professor, my physics professor and my math professor. The first two for science, and the math professor's LOR counted as non-science or humanity. Appearntly math is not scientific enough for dental schools.

So, you can use the LOR of the professor who knows you to satisfy the non-science Lor that many schools require or recommend.
 
So, you would think environmental science would count as a non-science/humanity? Biochem and physics both fall under the BCP category so I can definitely see why they count, and I know environmental sciences are considered in the sGPA.
 
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
So, you would think environmental science would count as a non-science/humanity? Biochem and physics both fall under the BCP category so I can definitely see why they count, and I know environmental sciences are considered in the sGPA.

For the GPA, Math is considered part of the other science; they might have the same policy for the Environmental science courses, but for the LOR, many schools want specifically from a Physics professor, biology professor, or a chemistry professor for the "Science LOR"
The non science or humanity LOR is satisfied by any other field.

It's weird, at my school, the school of humanity includes: Math, bio, physics, chemistry, physilogy, sociology and economics, etc. So, aren't they all part of humanity courses in the end..
 
I’m pretty sure science LORs have to be from BCP professors. But every school can make their own call, and there is no harm in calling or emailing to ask if your environmental science professor that knows you very well will count. Better to be safe then have them reaching out to you later about a “missing” science letter of rec.
 
Thanks everyone, I'll reach out to the schools I'm interested in, just to make sure!