What counts as an "interruption" in your education?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

vmc303

7+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
All secondaries seem to ask about this, and I'm not sure if I should put anything. I finished college, worked for a year, then took all my pre-med requirements. Should I bother to address this (I imagine it's quite common), or are they really just asking for explanations of leaves of absence during college?

Members don't see this ad.

vmc303 said:
All secondaries seem to ask about this, and I'm not sure if I should put anything. I finished college, worked for a year, then took all my pre-med requirements. Should I bother to address this (I imagine it's quite common), or are they really just asking for explanations of leaves of absence during college?

here's an e.g.: You graduate in spring 2004...then you dont take anymore classes until spring 2005.

Adcoms are curious as to what you are/were doing during time off from academics. Just describe the job you had for the year before your post bac. Don't sweat it!

Members don't see this ad :)
LizzyM said:
Adcoms are curious as to what you are/were doing during time off from academics. Just describe the job you had for the year before your post bac. Don't sweat it!

What if it was like a university coop program where the student goes off to a company (for a couple semesters during his or her sophomore or junior years) and work full time (while taking some classes, research...)?

Zuerst said:
What if it was like a university coop program where the student goes off to a company (for a couple semesters during his or her sophomore or junior years) and work full time (while taking some classes, research...)?

Coop is school, isn't it? You are still considered a student for purposes of student loan stuff and coop is on your transcript, right? If so, then coop isn't an interruption in academics.

Basically, adcoms are fascinated with someone who, let's say, does two years, drops out, and goes back to school a year or two later. What did the applicant do during that breaK? Likewise, someone who took 3 years off between H.S. and college so that they are graduating college at 25. There are some interesting stories out there and inquiring minds want to know.

Some examples: military service, Mormon missionary, not interested in college at 18 & works for a year or two & then has an epiphany, Peace Corps, Teach for America, Americorps, takes time off from college due to a serious illness or injury or family tragedy, works in an industry unrelated to medicine for a year or two after college & then goes to a post-bac.

I've been working since graduation in industry (mid-May), and I went ahead and just put a summary of what I've been working on. I figure if that's not what they're looking for, they'll ignore it, and if it is, I'll be safe.

Would 3 weeks off for a fairly serious medical problem count? :confused: