What courses were you able to use for NCSU's communication Requirements?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Get help with your application

Use all the free resources available to you from SDN: articles, guides, expert advising, forums discussions, and school research.

FutureZooVet

Full Member
10+ Year Member
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
So I'll be taking my last semester this fall and I'm debating whether or not I need to take an introductory communications course. For all majors my university requires two courses, three credits each, that are designated "Communications Intensive" (CI). The CI course can emphasize written or verbal communication, sometimes both. I'll have had two of these courses plus a course specifically on writing essays. However I've never taken anything like interpersonal communications or persuasion. Before I email NCSU, I wanted to see if what everyone else was able to use to complete this requirement? Did the admissions committee ever bring it up or inform you your application would not be accepted because you had not met the communication requirement?
 
You're best bet is to actually contact the school. I substituted a literature class for a writing class because my grades were solely based on papers. What the schools look at to make their decision varies. Some just wanted a syllabus from the class or course description, others wanted that plus a letter directly from my professor.

Since classes vary between all colleges, you're probably better off just emailing them and asking if they even accept substitutions and if they do, what material they want to determine if that course is an acceptable replacement.
 
Definitely just contact them. When I applied I contacted several schools to check on using certain classes for certain requirements. Like Orca, I used a lit class as a writing class, but there were other ones too. Make sure to have a syllabus on hand and explain that those count as communications requirements at your school. You'll probably be able to figure something out, but best to get it directly from them!