What degree did you have before pharmacy school?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
yatzek said:
i thought everybody did this... are you pple taking these majors to get into pre-pharmacy or to go straight into pharmacy school?

Having a degree gives you a better chance of being accepted. Not too long ago, you didn't need a degree for med school, either, as long as you took the pre-reqs. When's the last time you saw someone admitted without having a degree first? Pharmacy is heading in the same direction.

My school, UF, requires an AA degree plus 32 hours of science prereqs. By the time I finished up, I was so close to a BS in biology that I decided to go ahead and get the degree.

Members don't see this ad.

yatzek said:
i thought everybody did this... are you pple taking these majors to get into pre-pharmacy or to go straight into pharmacy school?

the 2 years of pre-reqs is pre-pharmacy.

BS in Nutrition-Toxicology..

Actually Berkeley gives BA for MCB major which requires a lot of science class... (both lecture and lab)

Members don't see this ad :)
letjin said:
Well...I'm in a 6 year school, so I'm just advancing into the professional year :D
For the people who got a degree to increase change of getting in, why did you not choose 6 year schools? Is 6 year schools less competitive to recruitors if you want to go into research/teaching career?
i was accepted into a 6 year program and decided against it because i wanted to enjoy my life as an undergrad at a fun place.

The Doctor of Pharmacy degree is awarded upon completion of a four-year professional program that follows a minimum of two years of pre-professional study. Prepharmacy requirements may be completed on The University of Oklahoma - Norman campus or at any other accredited institution offering the required course work. Admission to the program is based upon the academic record of the applicant without regard to the institution attended.
i found this on a site when i googled "pre-pharmacy degree", i also found out that the most common is BS Bio. :smuggrin:

BS Comp Science.

BS in Psychology and Sociology

BS in Biology (minor in Psychology)

pharmagirl said:
BS in Biology (minor in Psychology)

BA in Molecular and Cell Biology.

I won't even be applying for Pharm school until this fall/winter, but I'll post anyways.

B.F.A. (Bachelor of Fine Art), Photography, 2001

B.S. Biochemistry, this summer 2005 (90 days and counting...) :p

Shooto2000 said:
What degree did you have before pharmacy school? :)

BS in Information and Computer Science at University of California, Irvine

Will begin pharmacy school this fall:)

groo1515 said:
B.A. in German...Sprechen Sie Deutsch?

BA in Russian, UCSD.

Kto zdeis po-russki govorit?

BS in Biochemistry & Cell Biology, UCSD
MS in Biology, UCSD
Future PharmD, UCSD :D

Obviously, I have an odd fixation for this school. :love:

BA in Chemistry

at FIU they do offer two types of programs...the BA and BS program. But BA was specifically made for Pre-everything majors (pre-med, pre-optometry, pre-dentistry, pre-pharmacy)

It was a degree in Chemistry but allowed more electives so that you can get some biology courses under your belt. It was one of the best things I could have done because I took alot of things that biology majors took, but didn't have to take the ecologies, and the plant physiologies...only the biology classes that I thought would be useful in pharmacy/medial school (ie physiology, anatomy, microbiology...ect)

I could have gotten a minor in biology but didn't want to take the two extra labs.