What degree did you have before pharmacy school?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Shooto2000

7+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
20+ Year Member
Reaction score
What degree did you have before pharmacy school? :)

Members don't see this ad.

Shooto2000 said:
What degree did you have before pharmacy school? :)

BS in Biology.

BS - Biochemistry, Half of my MBA completed (joint PharmD/MBA program)

Members don't see this ad :)
Another BS Biology :cool:

BS Finance, BS Management. OK, so I am changing fields.

BS in Bio Sci also :thumbup:

BS microbiology

BA in Biology and Psychology

Vuitton27 said:
BA in Biology and Psychology
how do you have a BA in biology? i have heard others say this but have never understood it exactly....

I thought all biology degrees would have been a BS.

I realize that it could just be a mistype but i have heard others say that... any thoughts on the difference?

bbmuffin said:
how do you have a BA in biology? i have heard others say this but have never understood it exactly....

I realize that it could just be a mistype but i have heard others say that... any thoughts on the difference?

I googled it and many colleges say about the same thing:

The BA in biology requires coursework drawn primarily from the biology program as well as the general university requirements for graduation, while the BS degree includes a strong support core in other areas of science and mathematics. Students often combine the BA in biology with a second major or minor in such areas as chemistry, computer science, business administration, physical education, or education.

Members don't see this ad :)
jemc2000 said:
I googled it and many colleges say about the same thing:

The BA in biology requires coursework drawn primarily from the biology program as well as the general university requirements for graduation, while the BS degree includes a strong support core in other areas of science and mathematics. Students often combine the BA in biology with a second major or minor in such areas as chemistry, computer science, business administration, physical education, or education.
Thanks Michele! I never knew that... Like i said i would have just figured that a bio degree would have warranted a BS.

Do people not consider biology alone a science?

(sorry i know this is off topic but i'm curious)

bbmuffin said:
Do people not consider biology alone a science?
I think some schools call it a Bachelor of Sciences. So maybe they want you to have many of the sciences???? :confused: Just a guess. I could be way off target.

BS Biology & MEd in Elementary Education

BS in Psychology

BS in Biomedical Sciences

Oh yeah and bbmuffin my roommate got a BA in Biology. She didn't want to take organic and that was pretty much the only difference between BS and BA at USF. Also the BA required more non science classes (like a language) and a few others. She chose the BA route b/c she wanted to go into marine animal care (she works at Sea World) and they do not care whether it's a BA or a BS as long as it's a bachelor's :)

BS in Microbiology, Immunology and Molecular Genetecis

I went to undergrad at Indiana University and they had a weird system if you wanted to double major. You weren't allowed to get a BS in one major and a BA in another major. You were only allowed to get two BA's. I started out as a psych major and didn't add biology until the second year. But you are right. I had all the classes to techically have a BS in biology.

if you want to find out, please read my profile. hehehehe :laugh:

BS in Business (it was get a BS or spend two more semesters to take a language and get a BA...easy choice) and MBA.

Wow thats alot of Bio. Does it hurt you to not major in Bio. I love nutrition and fitness, I would rather major In dietetics

Puppet said:
Wow thats alot of Bio. Does it hurt you to not major in Bio. I love nutrition and fitness, I would rather major In dietetics

you could major in dietetics but then you have to take extra classes to meet the pre-reqs for pharm school- I did and I was a dietetics major. A lot of pharm schools like Nutrition as a major- that is a good major for any professional school (pharm, medical, or dental)- it covers all the pre-reqs needed. I have lots of friend who were nutrition majors ( at UF dietetic and nutrition majors take many of the same classes) who went on to med, pharm and dental school.

BA in International Finance at BU

I thought dietetic and nutrition was the same thing, I'll major in nutrition becasue thats what I really want to major in. Sweet, I was worried that I wouldnt be able to major in Nutrition withouyt taking alot of extra classes. I absolutly love nutrition, I get to major in nutrition and make a bunch of money being a Pharmacist. How could it get any better.

Puppet said:
I thought dietetic and nutrition was the same thing, I'll major in nutrition becasue thats what I really want to major in. Sweet, I was worried that I wouldnt be able to major in Nutrition withouyt taking alot of extra classes. I absolutly love nutrition, I get to major in nutrition and make a bunch of money being a Pharmacist. How could it get any better.

They are pretty much the same but dietetics is for those students going on to be dietitians (some programs include the internship others prepare you for it- but it is competitive to get into dietetic internships to be a dietitian), while nutrition is for many times pre-professional students or those interested in a graduate degree with research.

BS in Biological Sciences (minor in psychology)...and looking at the class that came in last year, it's increasingly becoming apparent to me that a baccalaureate prior to pharmacy school admission may become the status quo in about a decade or so.

not in pharm. school yet but...

approx. 4 classes short of BS in Theology
(stopped short to take pre-pharm courses and still get fin. aid.)

no philosophy majors around here, eh?

bbmuffin said:

I have a BA in biochemistry- I went to Colgate University and they do not offer a BS, so all us chem, bio, physics, ect majors graduate w/ a BA

BS in Microbiology, minors in chem, history.

Just picked up the 3rd degree from my wife. ;)

BA liberal arts - and I do mean liberal :p

B.S. in biochemistry & B.A. in psychology and minor in biomedical engineering :cool:

BA in Biology-2002...and I will be starting this Fall

None. I will be roughly two semesters (almost a year) short of a BS in Biomedical Sciences by the time I begin pharmacy school in the fall.

ETA: I DO have an A.A. Sometimes I forget about it. ;) Oops!

B.A. in German...Sprechen Sie Deutsch?

Another BA in psychology over here (and English to boot!)

BA Biology
plus graduate courses in Pharm/Tox

I didn't have a degree, I got accepted after taking 2 years of pre-reqs

UTPharmDoc said:
I didn't have a degree, I got accepted after taking 2 years of pre-reqs

i thought everybody did this... are you pple taking these majors to get into pre-pharmacy or to go straight into pharmacy school?