You are using an out of date browser. It may not display this or other websites correctly.
You should upgrade or use an alternative browser.
You should upgrade or use an alternative browser.
What degree did you have before pharmacy school?
Started by Shooto2000
Get help with your application
Use all the free resources available to you from SDN: articles, guides, expert advising, forums discussions, and school research.
Shooto2000 said:What degree did you have before pharmacy school? 🙂
BS in Biology.
BS - Biochemistry, Half of my MBA completed (joint PharmD/MBA program)
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
BS in Biology (Marine Emphasis).
how do you have a BA in biology? i have heard others say this but have never understood it exactly....Vuitton27 said:BA in Biology and Psychology
I thought all biology degrees would have been a BS.
I realize that it could just be a mistype but i have heard others say that... any thoughts on the difference?
bbmuffin said:how do you have a BA in biology? i have heard others say this but have never understood it exactly....
I thought all biology degrees would have been a BS.
I realize that it could just be a mistype but i have heard others say that... any thoughts on the difference?
I googled it and many colleges say about the same thing:
The BA in biology requires coursework drawn primarily from the biology program as well as the general university requirements for graduation, while the BS degree includes a strong support core in other areas of science and mathematics. Students often combine the BA in biology with a second major or minor in such areas as chemistry, computer science, business administration, physical education, or education.
Thanks Michele! I never knew that... Like i said i would have just figured that a bio degree would have warranted a BS.jemc2000 said:I googled it and many colleges say about the same thing:
The BA in biology requires coursework drawn primarily from the biology program as well as the general university requirements for graduation, while the BS degree includes a strong support core in other areas of science and mathematics. Students often combine the BA in biology with a second major or minor in such areas as chemistry, computer science, business administration, physical education, or education.
Do people not consider biology alone a science?
(sorry i know this is off topic but i'm curious)
I think some schools call it a Bachelor of Sciences. So maybe they want you to have many of the sciences???? 😕 Just a guess. I could be way off target.bbmuffin said:Do people not consider biology alone a science?
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
BS in Biomedical Sciences
Oh yeah and bbmuffin my roommate got a BA in Biology. She didn't want to take organic and that was pretty much the only difference between BS and BA at USF. Also the BA required more non science classes (like a language) and a few others. She chose the BA route b/c she wanted to go into marine animal care (she works at Sea World) and they do not care whether it's a BA or a BS as long as it's a bachelor's 🙂
Oh yeah and bbmuffin my roommate got a BA in Biology. She didn't want to take organic and that was pretty much the only difference between BS and BA at USF. Also the BA required more non science classes (like a language) and a few others. She chose the BA route b/c she wanted to go into marine animal care (she works at Sea World) and they do not care whether it's a BA or a BS as long as it's a bachelor's 🙂
I went to undergrad at Indiana University and they had a weird system if you wanted to double major. You weren't allowed to get a BS in one major and a BA in another major. You were only allowed to get two BA's. I started out as a psych major and didn't add biology until the second year. But you are right. I had all the classes to techically have a BS in biology.
if you want to find out, please read my profile. hehehehe 

BS in Business (it was get a BS or spend two more semesters to take a language and get a BA...easy choice) and MBA.
Puppet said:Wow thats alot of Bio. Does it hurt you to not major in Bio. I love nutrition and fitness, I would rather major In dietetics
you could major in dietetics but then you have to take extra classes to meet the pre-reqs for pharm school- I did and I was a dietetics major. A lot of pharm schools like Nutrition as a major- that is a good major for any professional school (pharm, medical, or dental)- it covers all the pre-reqs needed. I have lots of friend who were nutrition majors ( at UF dietetic and nutrition majors take many of the same classes) who went on to med, pharm and dental school.
BA in International Finance at BU
I thought dietetic and nutrition was the same thing, I'll major in nutrition becasue thats what I really want to major in. Sweet, I was worried that I wouldnt be able to major in Nutrition withouyt taking alot of extra classes. I absolutly love nutrition, I get to major in nutrition and make a bunch of money being a Pharmacist. How could it get any better.
Puppet said:I thought dietetic and nutrition was the same thing, I'll major in nutrition becasue thats what I really want to major in. Sweet, I was worried that I wouldnt be able to major in Nutrition withouyt taking alot of extra classes. I absolutly love nutrition, I get to major in nutrition and make a bunch of money being a Pharmacist. How could it get any better.
They are pretty much the same but dietetics is for those students going on to be dietitians (some programs include the internship others prepare you for it- but it is competitive to get into dietetic internships to be a dietitian), while nutrition is for many times pre-professional students or those interested in a graduate degree with research.
None, and I believe it should remain that way for admissions, although times are changing.
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
BS in Biological Sciences (minor in psychology)...and looking at the class that came in last year, it's increasingly becoming apparent to me that a baccalaureate prior to pharmacy school admission may become the status quo in about a decade or so.
bbmuffin said:how do you have a BA in biology? i have heard others say this but have never understood it exactly....
I thought all biology degrees would have been a BS.
I realize that it could just be a mistype but i have heard others say that... any thoughts on the difference?
I have a BA in biochemistry- I went to Colgate University and they do not offer a BS, so all us chem, bio, physics, ect majors graduate w/ a BA
BS in Microbiology, minors in chem, history.
Just picked up the 3rd degree from my wife. 😉
Just picked up the 3rd degree from my wife. 😉
BS in Toxicology
MNnaloxone said:Just picked up the 3rd degree from my wife. 😉
This one is always the hardest.
BA liberal arts - and I do mean liberal 😛
B.S. in chemical engineering
None. I will be roughly two semesters (almost a year) short of a BS in Biomedical Sciences by the time I begin pharmacy school in the fall.
ETA: I DO have an A.A. Sometimes I forget about it. 😉 Oops!
ETA: I DO have an A.A. Sometimes I forget about it. 😉 Oops!
wow...I guess I am the only one here with an Associate of Arts degree 

Caverject said:wow...I guess I am the only one here with an Associate of Arts degree![]()
Well, I take back what I said in my post. I forget sometimes that I also have an A.A.

Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
Another BA in psychology over here (and English to boot!)
BA Biology
plus graduate courses in Pharm/Tox
plus graduate courses in Pharm/Tox
tanyas said:BS in Microbiology, Immunology and Molecular Genetecis
BS in Biochemistry from Montreal
I didn't have a degree, I got accepted after taking 2 years of pre-reqs
UTPharmDoc said:I didn't have a degree, I got accepted after taking 2 years of pre-reqs
i thought everybody did this... are you pple taking these majors to get into pre-pharmacy or to go straight into pharmacy school?
Similar threads
- Replies
- 8
- Views
- 4K