What determines who is selected for the pain fellowships?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

AK_MD2BE

15+ Year Member
Reaction score
Forgive the ignorance...I am only an MS2. It is fairly clear what the criteria are for getting a good residency (Step 1 scores, grades in 3rd year, LOR's, maybe research, etc.) But what determines who gets the pain management fellowships? I would assume LOR's are important. What about the prestige of the program at which you did your fellowship? What about research that you have done in pain management? Also, how hard is it to get the pain management fellowships? Thank you for your time and information. :)

Members don't see this ad.

Forgive the ignorance...I am only an MS2. It is fairly clear what the criteria are for getting a good residency (Step 1 scores, grades in 3rd year, LOR's, maybe research, etc.) But what determines who gets the pain management fellowships? I would assume LOR's are important. What about the prestige of the program at which you did your fellowship? What about research that you have done in pain management? Also, how hard is it to get the pain management fellowships? Thank you for your time and information. :)

I did a quick search on the forum and the answers to most of your questions should be here:

I will tell you that Pain Medicine experience, Letter of Recs and who you know (and who will make calls for you) will make the biggest difference in the fellowship quest. Pain Research/extracurriculars would probably be next most important topic. Most fellowships want to know that you are able to be licensed in that state (completed and passed all three steps prior to applying).

your link leads nowhere.

Members don't see this ad :)
that's weird it worked earlier... anyways, just use the keyword fellowship or fellowships in the search function under the pain medicine forum and you will get the same list I was trying make into a link.

believe it or not, step scores still come into play. the best thing you can do right now as a second year med student is blow step 1 out of the water. as you continue in your career, other things such as who you know, research experience, letters of rec, etc definitely help.