Question about Pain Fellowship Application - LOR from PD who left the program

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

mentalhypoxia

15+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hi all,

I graduated from PM&R residency this year and am applying in the 2024-2025 cycle. My PD left the program this year, and I'm going to ask him for a letter of recommendation. My question is, do I need a letter from the new PD of my program? Or can the old PD just state he was my PD for the duration of my residency? New PD hasn't formally started yet and I've never met him before.

Members don't see this ad.

Last edited:
Get the letter from the old PD. It’s not like ERAS has a screen to ensure they’re active and current PD.

Reactions: 1 user
Are you specifically required to have a letter from the program director? If so, it needs to be the one whose letterhead and signature will say Program Director when they write it. You will look like someone who doesn’t know how to follow directions to some of the Ad coms. It wouldn’t hurt to ask your old PD to also write you a letter.

Reactions: 1 users
Thank you! Yes some programs require a letter from my residency PD. Thanks for the clarification.