What did you learn today?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

humuhumu

nukunuku apua'a
10+ Year Member
7+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
Just curious. Might be fun to get a snapshot of course material across the U.S. (and beyond, perhaps).

Today in psychiatry we talked about somatoform disorders, factitious disorder, and malingering. I learned that, in somatization disorder, each of the following must be met at some point during the course of the disorder: (1) one "pseudo-neurological" symptom; (2) two GI symptoms (other than pain); (3) one sexual symptom (other than pain); and (4) four pain symptoms in four different sites. None of the symptoms have any medical explanation, but the patient isn't intentionally creating them or feigning them. So random...

Members don't see this ad.

I learned how much time can be wasted in one day!

Members don't see this ad :)
I learned nothing. I'm on break.

but... i've been reading ahead on break for fun :-( does that make me a nerd?

IGN.com/mass effect
espn.com
and saw 2 patients today.

damn I love 4th year

IGN.com/mass effect
espn.com
and saw 2 patients today.

damn I love 4th year
Nothing. I got to school at 11am when classes were ending and now I'm listening to lectures in the library. Everything I'm learning, I've already learned, because we're doing Genetics and Biochem right now.

I learned that the PH of vagina is around 2, will never go back to that hole again.......

I memorised virulence factors for some gram-positive cocci, and learned how to a musculoskeletal examination of the shoulder and wrist. That's about it.

S1, 2, 3, and 4 keep Mr Happy off the floor

Today I learned about the anal and urogenital triangle. We also learned about the consequences of a coat hanger abortion gone wrong. Nice.

Members don't see this ad :)
i learned that the main branch of the facial nerve emerges from the stylomastoid foramen.

and that To Zanzibar By MotorCar is the BEST way to remember the branches of the facial nerve! (for you guys that aren't doing the cranial nerves yet - remember this. its also in the netter flashcards)

and if you haven't done the cranial nerves yet, FYI - they suck sooooooooo bad. anything you thought was bad in anatomy so far is easy compared to this ish. ugh.

that apparently Descartes thought the pineal gland is where the soul is located.... cool, ah?

i learned that the main branch of the facial nerve emerges from the stylomastoid foramen.

and that To Zanzibar By MotorCar is the BEST way to remember the branches of the facial nerve! (for you guys that aren't doing the cranial nerves yet - remember this. its also in the netter flashcards)

and if you haven't done the cranial nerves yet, FYI - they suck sooooooooo bad. anything you thought was bad in anatomy so far is easy compared to this ish. ugh.

I used "Two Zombies Buggered My Cat" for that. I survived a whole block of biochem and anatomy with mnemonics.

Hmmm... today I didn't learn anything too terribly exciting. On Monday, I learned that the fetal heart monitor will pick up the carotid pulse really well, and if you talk with it on your neck, it sounds Halloween-ish.

I learned (contrary to information we received from a different instructor) that you should not treat diabetic peripheral neuropathy with amitriptyline (a TCA), because weight gain is a side effect (not a good thing in the typical type 2 diabetic). :)

That neurofibromatosis really sucks, that hydrops fetalis is really sad, and that Amp drink actually has LESS sugar than Mt. Dew.

i like to think of it as

The Zebra Bit My Crotch

of course 'C' is variable

I learned that it's a real bummer it have hypertrophic obstructive cardiomyopathy.

That neurofibromatosis really sucks

We talked a little bit about neurofibromatosis today too!

We are in the genetics unit, and today we talked about something I slept through and then patterns of inheritance. I learned that Siamese cats only express the dark pigment at extremities due to the lower body temperature.

To clarify, To Zanzibar By Motor Car refers to the branches to the muscles of facial expression.

we learned about protein folding and transport across the ER membrane (i haven't finished reviewing the other 2 hrs of lecture yet).

Finished up our respiratory week today so had a bunch of quizzes. Was refreshed about shunt (perfusion no ventilation) vs dead space (ventilation no perfusion). That the force of inspiration is sufficient for expiration to be a passive process.

IGN.com/mass effect
damn I love 4th year

And even better, if anybody asks what you've been doing, "reading about mass effect" sounds like a perfectly good use of your education time.

I learned that Siamese cats only express the dark pigment at extremities due to the lower body temperature.

Pretty nifty. I like the avatar by the way, I wonder if I could have a career in making fancy colored EM images? Are there any pics like that in high res for wallpapers? (As you can see I am also making excellent use of my 4th year time.)

Today we talked about brain attacks! ("Brain attack" is another term for stroke.) The lecturer was a neurocritical care neurologist, one of the most dynamic, passionate, and compassionate teachers we've had during the first 2 years.

And, btw, I hate head colds...

That I am screwed for my next anatomy test

We talked a lot about cystic fibrosis today. Saw some of the pictures of the mucus that was from out of the lungs of individuals with CF.

That I am screwed for my next anatomy test

werd. I too am screwed for my next anatomy test (cranial nerves and the upper extremity) but I am happy b/c its my last anatomy test! :hardy:

I learned that if you boil pasta too long it will turn into glue and stick to the bottom of your non-stick pot and not come off even if you leave it to soak in the kitchen sink for a really long time with hot water and soap. I also learned that de novo triacylglycerol synthesis is exactly as boring as protein metabolism. :hungover:

I learned that even if you do perfect vertical mattress sutures the wound still looks a little bit "open" and it will settle down and close just fine.

I learned that you don't have to use racemic epi nebs for croup, regular epi nebs work just fine.

I learned that pneumonia can give you really bad chest pain.

Fun thread!

on friday we learned about diastolic murmurs, granulocytes, and in anatomy lab they cut the cadaver in half so we could get to the pterygopalatine fossa. I also learned that its not good to watch the whole first season of west wing when you are 1 week away from your 2nd test block. Oh well, I guess you live and you learn :)

1. Beer before hard, you're face down in the yard.

2. I can do netter flashcards while watching football.

3. The brachial plexus!!!!!!!!

Spent yesterday on cardiovascular pharmacology -- my grandmother with CHF coughs a lot because of her ACE inhibitor. Maybe she should be switched to Losartan.

Bacteria today.

Pimpage...

What is the organism associated with highest mortality in CF patients?

Hint: It's the reason why CF camps no longer exist--one kid positive with it might wipe out the whole bunch.
I'd say Pseudomonas aeruginosa

I learned how to draw blood today!

CarvingNeedle.jpg

Pseudomonas makes me happy because it's easy to tell what it is just by smelling it... it smells like grape-flavoured cough syrup... (childhood memories)...

Although that's a bit naughty isn't?

I learned that the neuroscience I have to know for next week's exam has been planted relatively firmly in my head...

Pseudomonas makes me happy because it's easy to tell what it is just by smelling it... it smells like grape-flavoured cough syrup... (childhood memories)...

Grape-flavored cough syrup and/or corn tortillas. For me it usually smelled more like corn tortillas....

Well this has nothing to do with med school but I learned two days ago that I am apparently a big baby when it comes to haunted cemeteries with fake zombies. Oh, and telling the zombies who are hiding in the corner, "I SEE YOU, LEAVE ME ALONE!" doesn't work.

Today I learned that, to the untrained eye, brain tumors all kinda look alike at the microscopic level. I need to train my eyes quickly (i.e., by this Friday)....:(

I learned that alpacas are smaller than llamas, and if a male isn't perfect for breeding, it's sold as a "fiber male" for it's wool.

I got to go to my attending's alpaca farm instead of being in clinic. :D

Pulmonary Alveolar Proteinosis patients cough up jello shots and are treated with bilateral alveolar lavage - which is risky, but "fun"

I learned that alpacas are smaller than llamas, and if a male isn't perfect for breeding, it's sold as a "fiber male" for it's wool.

I got to go to my attending's alpaca farm instead of being in clinic. :D

Here at KSU, we have like the number #1 alpaca/camelid vet in the country. Those suckers are worth thousands. Unbelievable.

They ARE awfully cute. There's going to be a camelid-handling wetlab for those of us not used to touching them. (Only in vet school!)

A friend at another veterinary school has to spend an externship at an alpaca stud farm--3 weeks of stimulating them to emit genetic material. Fun, fun! But profitable...

[YOUTUBE]http://youtube.com/watch?v=Mnb30oGR3Lk[/YOUTUBE]

:laugh: Nice.

Today I learned that the stylopharyngeus muscle separates the superior and middle constricters, the tongue is innervated by three cranial nerves (V, VII, and IX), and getting up as if I was going to go to class but then changing my mind is really a great way to force myself to get up and study.

I learned yesterday and will re-learn today that even when you think you know something and have taken the exact same quiz more than once, you can still get half of the answers incorrect (especially if the topic involves understanding sympathetic vs. parasympathetic and pre- vs. post-ganglionic supply to anything in the head). Oh and there are way too many effing parts of the skull and whoever decided they just had to name them all should be shot.

Curious, is the para- and sympathetic and pre- and post-ganglionic anatomy physiology and pharmacology in the head harder than the rest of the body? At my med school we don't do head and neck anatomy until third year.

Curious, is the para- and sympathetic and pre- and post-ganglionic anatomy physiology and pharmacology in the head harder than the rest of the body? At my med school we don't do head and neck anatomy until third year.

Seems odd - but whatevs... Same deal, different location.

Today I learned P-ANCA is associate with Churg-Strauss syndrome. Nasty hemorrhagic business.

It seems harder to me because there are so many different ganglia involved and they all get nerve supply from 3 (+/-) cranial nerves, which all have different para / symp, and some of the DO synapse in the ganglia, some of them just travel through it and have their cell bodies elsewhere... and so on... I think the fact the each of the 12 cranial nerves have about 5 major branches, followed by each of those branches have 3 more ... and each of those having three more... makes it all the more confusing b/c then you have to back track through 6 different nerves to remember that X comes off of Y, which came off the ophthalmic nerve (which really is V1 of the trigeminal nerve...) and WTF did the trigeminal carry? :confused: I hate it.

Today I am learning how incredibly boring lipid metabolism is. :thumbup: Oh, and that not going to class >>>> than going to class.