What do Adcoms do with incomplete apps?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Green912

10+ Year Member
20+ Year Member
Reaction score
I'll be submitting my app in June with everything except an MCAT score (take in Aug). Do the Adcoms make any decisions based on what they get or do they file the app away until the scores come in then look at it? Thanks

Members don't see this ad.

They will wait for the MCAT score to look at your application. As far as I know, most schools wait until you application is complete before they start to screen it.

Just keep in mind that most schools don't make cuts for their secondaries. They send them out to everyone. Most likely, you will be receiving secondaries ($-makers) from schools even if they haven't received your mcat scores yet. However, schools like the UC's, Stanford, and others who don't send secondaries to everyone that applies will wait for your scores before they decide.

Non-AMCAS schools, i.e.NYU and Columbia start taking apps in August, I think..They don't have secondaries, so you wouldn't be that far behind.

Good luck and don't worry. Many people get in with August MCATs.

Members don't see this ad :)
does this include letters of recommendation? I wanted to send in my app without the letters (my committee interview is late).

The letters or recommendation go with the secondaries. Most schools will not review your file for a possible interview until the completed secondary, the letter(s) of recommendation, and the most-important secondary fee have all been received. Some schools have nice status pages (Yale, Stanford, and U of Washington are three) that tell you what they have and have not received. Other schools you just hope that they have received everything.

I suppose that I should add the stuff does not have to be sent in together in one packet. Send in the secondary and fee even if your letters are not yet ready. You can send in the letters later. The schools will usually notify you (by e-mail, postcard, or website status page) when your application is complete and has gone to review for a possible interview.

If you are graduating in may, your premed board will most likely be sending your LORs. Mine were sent the day I turned in my amcas application.

Make sure you call schools after you think your application is complete. They often mess up and could place you in the wrong pile. My Vermont application was sitting in the incomplete pile for a few months, and I didn't know until I called up. Same thing with USF. Einstein didn't have my amcas printout, so even though it was the first secondary I sent in (Oct 16th), I was not complete until December 21st after I called up and faxed it. So please remember to stay on top of schools!