What do AdComs know about letter writers?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

SuperChocolateBear

5+ Year Member
2+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hi SDN,

Here is my predicament. I, being the stupid pre-med, failed to obtain any letters of recommendation from any professors from the first 3.5 years of my undergraduate career. Now, I'm scrambling to find letter writers to fulfill the requirements of the programs I am interested in. I have successfully found 2 science writers and 1 MD who I know all wrote me strong letters. I also, just prior to graduating and leaving the campus/state, communicated with two other professors, one of psychology and one of business communications, that I needed letters and they both agreed to help me, one verbally and the other through email. Now, nearly two months have past, neither has submitted the letter, and both are unresponsive to emails. I am planning on escalating the situation with a more urgent reminder (already sent two) after the holidays, but I need to come up with a back up plan because I currently do not meet the requirements of my favorite programs (UIC, SIU).

With that rant out of the way, here is what I am proposing to do. I have a short list of other professors/TAs that I know who may be willing to help me since we had good relationships, but we have not been in contact for several years and there is a high probability that they have forgotten who I am. Also, it has been 2-3 years since I have known them so they may no longer be with the institution.

My other option, is to ask a "professor" that I had during my last semester of college. He was barely out of college himself, but he designed and lectured a 1 credit course in kinesiology (we basically designed a workout program and monitored progress and learned basic health facts). He is officially listed as an "instructor" in my transcript, and we had a fairly good relationship. He is a very chill guy and I am fairly certain he will be willing to help.

So my question is: will adcoms know the nature of his position and the nature /intensity of the course? Will the fact that the class is 1 credit hour de-legitimize the relationship the professor and I had and his ability to speak on my behalf as a medical school applicant? I just need, at least, a neutral letter that simply fulfills the LoR requirement to apply to these programs.

Thank you,

SuperChocolateBear

Members don't see this ad.

Hi SDN,

Here is my predicament. I, being the stupid pre-med, failed to obtain any letters of recommendation from any professors from the first 3.5 years of my undergraduate career. Now, I'm scrambling to find letter writers to fulfill the requirements of the programs I am interested in. I have successfully found 2 science writers and 1 MD who I know all wrote me strong letters. I also, just prior to graduating and leaving the campus/state, communicated with two other professors, one of psychology and one of business communications, that I needed letters and they both agreed to help me, one verbally and the other through email. Now, nearly two months have past, neither has submitted the letter, and both are unresponsive to emails. I am planning on escalating the situation with a more urgent reminder (already sent two) after the holidays, but I need to come up with a back up plan because I currently do not meet the requirements of my favorite programs (UIC, SIU).

With that rant out of the way, here is what I am proposing to do. I have a short list of other professors/TAs that I know who may be willing to help me since we had good relationships, but we have not been in contact for several years and there is a high probability that they have forgotten who I am. Also, it has been 2-3 years since I have known them so they may no longer be with the institution.

My other option, is to ask a "professor" that I had during my last semester of college. He was barely out of college himself, but he designed and lectured a 1 credit course in kinesiology (we basically designed a workout program and monitored progress and learned basic health facts). He is officially listed as an "instructor" in my transcript, and we had a fairly good relationship. He is a very chill guy and I am fairly certain he will be willing to help.

So my question is: will adcoms know the nature of his position and the nature /intensity of the course? Will the fact that the class is 1 credit hour de-legitimize the relationship the professor and I had and his ability to speak on my behalf as a medical school applicant? I just need, at least, a neutral letter that simply fulfills the LoR requirement to apply to these programs.

Thank you,

SuperChocolateBear
We're not omniscient. Just get the LOR.

Reactions: 1 user