What do Delaware students do? No medical school in state

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

nurture

Membership Revoked
Removed
10+ Year Member
Reaction score
I noticed there is no medical school in Delaware. What do students from Delaware do? What states classify them as instate? Is there a quota for students from Delaware?

Members don't see this ad.

I noticed there is no medical school in Delaware. What do students from Delaware do? What states classify them as instate? Is there a quota for students from Delaware?
They apply to Jefferson, where they have 20 guaranteed seats. What do you mean by a "quota" for students from Delaware?

Raft down the river and cross state lines under cover of darkness

Members don't see this ad :)
Apply to CA schools, obviously. (just kidding) Ask your premed committee, if your school has one -- they should know better than anyone. I would think PA/NJ schools.

I am from Rhode Island, so I have only Brown, which doesn't have any preferences so I am sort of in a similar situation. I plan to apply in the area, because it seems those medical schools would most understand my plight. You should too, probably apply in your area.

Correct answer is to ditch your DE residency asap and grab either NY or PA residency

Pennsylvania should just annex Delaware and put the state out of its misery.

Perspective:
The population of Delaware is just under 900,000. If the entire State were a city it would rank between San Francisco and Austin, TX.

North Dakota and South Dakota both have medical schools, and each has a population of less than 900,000.

Granted, North Dakota and South Dakota are...well, North Dakota and South Dakota, so I guess it's only fair ;)

North Dakota and South Dakota both have medical schools, and each has a population of less than 900,000.

Granted, North Dakota and South Dakota are...well, North Dakota and South Dakota, so I guess it's only fair ;)
For University of South Dakota, can you just mumble "Sanford" when people ask you where you want and hope they hear Stanford?

/inspired by the Howard/Harvard thread

DE > PA

Tax-free shopping woohoo!

This, there's a reason that all the PA and MD people go to the Costco in DE (besides the fact that it actually sells alcohol in large packages :laugh:). Beside, where would you get all those pre-approved credit card offers from if DE ceased to exist? :smuggrin:

Edit: More info about the spots reserved at JMC for DE residents (DIMER Program): http://dhss.delaware.gov/dhss/dhcc/dimer.html

The same DIMER program also has an official relationship with PCOM through which at least 5 spots at PCOM are reserved for DE residents.

Last edited:
Pennsylvania should just annex Delaware and put the state out of its misery.

That would be shocking :eek: for the tens of thousands of corporations that incorporate there.....maybe ows should start picketing for this idea?

DuPonts could start a Medical School there. As per their population they need to produce about 60-100 intake of MDs or DOs.

Gore and DuPont are too busy adding on to University of Delaware....i dont think a med school in DE is happening

What does Wyoming do?

Oh... the University of Washington... why didn't I grow up in Jackson Hole?