What do I do?? Davis(waitlist)vs RVC( 4-year waitlist) vs RVC(5 year acceptance)

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

simbawolf360

2+ Year Member
Reaction score
So I am trying to decide what to do and I’m not sure if this is the correct thread to post this under but Should I accept my seat at RVC five year or re-apply next year if I don’t get off either waitlist. Honestly I’m torn and confused after this cycle I know I am a strong applicant ( other than my GRE ) but so far have been waitlisted/ rejected from so many places. I’m still waiting to hear back from LMU and Edinburgh but I feel like after being waitlisted at RVC I will get waitlisted there. How risky is it for me to reapply? What do you know about how both waitlists move?
My stats would be the same GPA wise for next year. I most likely would be able to improve my GRE by next cycle.

Cum:3.76
Science:3.76
Last 45:3.86

GRE: I think I was 33% quant, verbal was like 65% and I think my essay was like 40%
I only applied to two schools that needed my GRE lol

Honestly I’m trying to determine my risks for reapplying or just accepting the five year seat which is going to be so much more money and time.

Anyways this cycle has been really hard on me and any feedback or thoughts would be appreciated <3

Members don't see this ad.

So I am trying to decide what to do and I’m not sure if this is the correct thread to post this under but Should I accept my seat at RVC five year or re-apply next year if I don’t get off either waitlist. Honestly I’m torn and confused after this cycle I know I am a strong applicant ( other than my GRE ) but so far have been waitlisted/ rejected from so many places. I’m still waiting to hear back from LMU and Edinburgh but I feel like after being waitlisted at RVC I will get waitlisted there. How risky is it for me to reapply? What do you know about how both waitlists move?
My stats would be the same GPA wise for next year. I most likely would be able to improve my GRE by next cycle.

Cum:3.76
Science:3.76
Last 45:3.86

GRE: I think I was 33% quant, verbal was like 65% and I think my essay was like 40%
I only applied to two schools that needed my GRE lol

Honestly I’m trying to determine my risks for reapplying or just accepting the five year seat which is going to be so much more money and time.

Anyways this cycle has been really hard on me and any feedback or thoughts would be appreciated <3
Since no one else has replied, I have to say my thoughts on the matter are that if you have to spend a whole extra year improving and applying, why not just spend that time already in vet school? One of my doctors also did the 5 year RVC and absolutely loved every second, so it’s not like itd be a waste of time. PLUS, if you get pulled off a waitlist after you’ve accepted a position, you’ll just lose your deposit. So I say go ahead and start while it’s 100% guaranteed that you can.

Reactions: 1 users
Since no one else has replied, I have to say my thoughts on the matter are that if you have to spend a whole extra year improving and applying, why not just spend that time already in vet school? One of my doctors also did the 5 year RVC and absolutely loved every second, so it’s not like itd be a waste of time. PLUS, if you get pulled off a waitlist after you’ve accepted a position, you’ll just lose your deposit. So I say go ahead and start while it’s 100% guaranteed that you can.

Thanks for the response I was bummed when no one was giving me any kinda feedback:( My only concern is that I will be paying $60,000 to spend that year reviewing stuff I already know ( the five year program is designed for people coming straight out of high school or need a stronger foundation before vet school) I guess I’m torn because I would have been so close with Davis and RVC (4yr) that I don’t know if it would be too risky to reapply and not have to pay $60,000 to wait?

Reactions: 1 user
Thanks for the response I was bummed when no one was giving me any kinda feedback:( My only concern is that I will be paying $60,000 to spend that year reviewing stuff I already know ( the five year program is designed for people coming straight out of high school or need a stronger foundation before vet school) I guess I’m torn because I would have been so close with Davis and RVC (4yr) that I don’t know if it would be too risky to reapply and not have to pay $60,000 to wait?

Davis weighs heavily on GRE quant, right? So if you can increase that score for Davis that would be great.

Can you do file reviews at any schools to see what they suggest improving upon? Do you think you can make your application better if you reapplied this cycle? It's always a risk to reapply as you know, but this situation is a little different bc of the 5 year program. If I were you I'd be tempted to reapply rather than add an extra 60k onto an already hefty tuition sum.

Fingers crossed those waitlists move for you though!

Members don't see this ad :)
Davis weighs heavily on GRE quant, right? So if you can increase that score for Davis that would be great.

Can you do file reviews at any schools to see what they suggest improving upon? Do you think you can make your application better if you reapplied this cycle? It's always a risk to reapply as you know, but this situation is a little different bc of the 5 year program. If I were you I'd be tempted to reapply rather than add an extra 60k onto an already hefty tuition sum.

Fingers crossed those waitlists move for you though!

Ya so the interesting thing is that even though my GRE quant was so low I still got an interview and after the interview they don’t look at my application again it’s just based on the actual interview. Of course I would try and boost my GRE tho either way because it would be stupid not too. I can do a file review at Perdue which just out right rejected me. I’m not sure about Davis or RVC tho. I am waiting to hear back from Edinburgh and LMU. But even if I am accepted there the temptation to re apply is high because I feel like I’m so close with my top two choices Davis and RVC. The only other thing would be I could possibly branch out on my experience but that is still difficult to do right now with Covid. I do think though I would be able to get a better letter of rec from the vet though because at the time I applying she only knew me for 3 months but as of now I’ve know her for 8 months and we are much closer.

Do you think it’s worst the risk of even turning down a possible acceptance to Edinburgh or LMU to reapply and save thousand of dollars? Lol sorry I just have so many questions and I am so conflicted

Thank you for your input so far !!!

Ya so the interesting thing is that even though my GRE quant was so low I still got an interview and after the interview they don’t look at my application again it’s just based on the actual interview. Of course I would try and boost my GRE tho either way because it would be stupid not too. I can do a file review at Perdue which just out right rejected me. I’m not sure about Davis or RVC tho. I am waiting to hear back from Edinburgh and LMU. But even if I am accepted there the temptation to re apply is high because I feel like I’m so close with my top two choices Davis and RVC. The only other thing would be I could possibly branch out on my experience but that is still difficult to do right now with Covid. I do think though I would be able to get a better letter of rec from the vet though because at the time I applying she only knew me for 3 months but as of now I’ve know her for 8 months and we are much closer.

Do you think it’s worst the risk of even turning down a possible acceptance to Edinburgh or LMU to reapply and save thousand of dollars? Lol sorry I just have so many questions and I am so conflicted

Thank you for your input so far !!!

I would definitely do the file review at Purdue - see if you can do it before 4/15 to help you decide. I would be more hesitant about turning down an acceptance at Edinburgh/LMU - you applied there for a reason, right? UC Davis will save you $$ in the long run, but I'm guessing you applied to schools that you would go to if accepted. If not, maybe reapply and change tactics next year so you only apply to schools you 100% know you would go to.

You could try talking to people on the UC Davis threads to see if there are reapplicants out there/how that worked out for them!

Not that its the right choice for everyone or will end with the same result, but I actually got pulled of LMUs waitlist my first cycle and decided to reapply to Davis and got accepted. I know everyone says "don't apply to a school you wouldn't go to", which is valid but personally it wasn't until going through the application process, visiting/interviewing, and talking to more people that I knew LMU wasn't the right fit for me.

Feel free to message me if you want to chat more about it!

Reactions: 1 users
Not that its the right choice for everyone or will end with the same result, but I actually got pulled of LMUs waitlist my first cycle and decided to reapply to Davis and got accepted. I know everyone says "don't apply to a school you wouldn't go to", which is valid but personally it wasn't until going through the application process, visiting/interviewing, and talking to more people that I knew LMU wasn't the right fit for me.

Feel free to message me if you want to chat more about it!

Hey thanks for the feedback I’m definitely going to message you!

I would definitely do the file review at Purdue - see if you can do it before 4/15 to help you decide. I would be more hesitant about turning down an acceptance at Edinburgh/LMU - you applied there for a reason, right? UC Davis will save you $$ in the long run, but I'm guessing you applied to schools that you would go to if accepted. If not, maybe reapply and change tactics next year so you only apply to schools you 100% know you would go to.

You could try talking to people on the UC Davis threads to see if there are reapplicants out there/how that worked out for them!

Yes I do like both schools but I have become more unsure about wether or not I want to settle for schools that I don’t think I will be as happy in when there’s a possibility I could get into my top choices if I waited a year. I guess I’m just unsure about my chances Because I think next year a lot of applicants are going to grade inflation due to Covid so I suspect it still might be another crazy application cycle

This basically comes down to one question: would you be okay with never being a veterinarian? That is the absolute worst case scenario for your predicament and you *have* to be okay with never being a vet if you decide to reapply. The applicant pool is getting *more* competitive over time due to gradually increasing number of applicants (not even considering the 19% jump in applicants this year alone) and the increasing arms race of having a better application than everyone else. Without knowing the rest of your application (since we only know your academics), its potentially less risky for you overall. It just depends on how schools will view you as a reapplicant if they know you turned down an acceptance. If you turn down your acceptance, you can stay on the waitlists over the summer, which may make the point moot if you are pulled from those.

If you decide to reapply, you should have some significant improvements to your application to push you over the edge, especially for the places you were waitlisted at. You said your GPA would remain the same, the one letter of recommendation would improve. What else have you been doing over the cycle to improve your application? To make that determination, I definitely recommend doing file reviews everywhere you applied and not accepted. You may also want to reconsider your school list.