What do I do if my school doesn't offer pharmacy?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

NYJ3TSFAN

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hello all! My first post on this site. Currently I am a senior in high school and I am interested in pursuing pharmacy, although I'm not exactly sure yet. Also, I was accepted into several schools that I really like but do not offer Pharm.D programs. So I was wondering if anybody can help me understand how I would go about becoming a pharmacist if I went to any of these schools. Do people major in chemistry or something and then go to a graduate school for pharmacy or go to a school specifically for pharmacy? Thanks in advance

Members don't see this ad.

Your best bet is to spend some time reading the FAQ at the top of the forum.

There are two main kinds of PharmD-granting programs:
0+6 programs let you apply straight out of high school. You then enter a curriculum that has you complete the pre-reqs and start the PharmD without further applications or legwork in your 3rd year.

x+(3 or 4) programs require you to complete the pre-reqs on your own and then apply. I say "x" because you can do the pre-reqs in as little as 2 years, or you can pursue a bachelors degree (or higher) and then apply. The (3 or 4) is because some schools allow you to complete a PharmD in as little as 3 years, while most require 4.

Hope that helps. You've got some research to do, and, as I mentioned, the FAQ is probably the best place to start, followed quickly by the search function.

Good luck! :thumbup:

thanks for the info. I do understand the difference between the different types of programs. I applied to one 0-6 program and multiple pre-pharmacy programs. However what I don't understand is what to do if I want to attend a college that does not have pharmacy at all because I am still unsure whether pharmacy is right for me. And then if I attended that college and wanted to go into pharmacy...do I take courses that are pre-pharmacy requirements and transfer out? or what? Whatever college I choose I would rather stay for at least 4 years instead of transferring anywhere.

Members don't see this ad :)
Since you don't seem to understand.
You apply to pharmacy schools just like you do colleges.
Just because a school does not have an associated pharmacy school doesnt mean you can't attend pharmacy school. You just apply to a pharmacy school once you have completed their requirments.

thanks! so it seems to me that I would leave this college after 2 years of meeting pre-reqs for certain pharmacy schools.

thanks! so it seems to me that I would leave this college after 2 years of meeting pre-reqs for certain pharmacy schools.
No you can complete your bachelors if you so desire. Requirments are essentially minimal requirments.

Alright. Still I guess that would mean 4 years getting a bachelor's and then 4 years at pharmacy school = 8 years instead of 6. By any chance do you know what most people get their bachelor's degree in before going to pharmacy school?

Alright. Still I guess that would mean 4 years getting a bachelor's and then 4 years at pharmacy school = 8 years instead of 6. By any chance do you know what most people get their bachelor's degree in before going to pharmacy school?

Well, it depends on what your university offers in terms of majors. At my school, I'm a Pharmaceutical Sciences major, which includes most of the pre-reqs for pharm school built in. Most people pick majors like chemistry, biology, biochem, or even public health because a lot of the classes required to graduate within these majors are also pre-reqs (i.e., gen chem, bio...etc.) for pharm schools, so it makes it efficient not to have to say, major in something like history and then have to take all these additional classes on the side (although it's doable, if something like that is what you really want to do. . . ).

Yes. A lot of people get their BS before applying. It's definitely not necessary but it helps; anything that puts you ahead of other applicants will be advantageous.

Protip: As you finish your pre-pharmacy requirements, apply for pharmacy school. if you get in, you don't have to "waste" time getting your BS. if you don't, you can reapply again when you're a more competitive applicant

Yes. A lot of people get their BS before applying. It's definitely not necessary but it helps; anything that puts you ahead of other applicants will be advantageous.

Protip: As you finish your pre-pharmacy requirements, apply for pharmacy school. if you get in, you don't have to "waste" time getting your BS. if you don't, you can reapply again when you're a more competitive applicant

One caveat to advising this: A decent amount of schools do require that the applicant have a bachelors degree before entering pharm school in the fall.

For instance, you can apply while you are still finishing up the degree and your pre-reqs, but you can't enter until you graduate with that degree and finish the pre-reqs.

thanks both of you for clearing that up for me. been much help