What do I do now? I'm stuck.

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

ale0

2+ Year Member
Reaction score
I'm (F) 20 yrs old and a full-time student attending a community college. I technically completed my AS dregree this past fall but that wasn't my goal. I didn't apply for the graduation ceremony or asked to get my degree. I want to apply for the dental hygiene program but because of Covid, I wasn't able to complete the requirements for it. I needed to do 16 observation hours with a dental hygienist which my dentist agreed to let me do at his office when I asked in April to do over the summer. But the pandemic got worse so I asked him in august again and he said he couldn't have more than 2 people in the patient room for now since he's trying to limit the number of people in each room (patient and dentist only). So I'm stuck on what I should take this coming semester. Do y'all have any suggestions on what courses would benefit me? maybe related to Dental Hygiene? or in life? it sounds stupid but I mean I don't want to waste a semester doing nothing.

I was thinking of maybe applying for the Continuing Education program to try the training Dental assisting course and get a certification in DA since it could give me a higher chance of getting into the hygiene program. But it's too late since only one Dental assisting training morning class is available starting on Jan 9. Only one-night course starts in March I believe but I'm not going to stay up until 10 pm at school. Plus I can't concentrate at night.

Members don't see this ad.

I'm (F) 20 yrs old and a full-time student attending a community college. I technically completed my AS dregree this past fall but that wasn't my goal. I didn't apply for the graduation ceremony or asked to get my degree. I want to apply for the dental hygiene program but because of Covid, I wasn't able to complete the requirements for it. I needed to do 16 observation hours with a dental hygienist which my dentist agreed to let me do at his office when I asked in April to do over the summer. But the pandemic got worse so I asked him in august again and he said he couldn't have more than 2 people in the patient room for now since he's trying to limit the number of people in each room (patient and dentist only). So I'm stuck on what I should take this coming semester. Do y'all have any suggestions on what courses would benefit me? maybe related to Dental Hygiene? or in life? it sounds stupid but I mean I don't want to waste a semester doing nothing.

I was thinking of maybe applying for the Continuing Education program to try the training Dental assisting course and get a certification in DA since it could give me a higher chance of getting into the hygiene program. But it's too late since only one Dental assisting training morning class is available starting on Jan 9. Only one-night course starts in March I believe but I'm not going to stay up until 10 pm at school. Plus I can't concentrate at night.
why not just go to another dentist? you could knock out 16 hours in one week.

Are you hoping to become a dentist or dental hygienist in your long term plan?

Reactions: 1 user
why not just go to another dentist? you could knock out 16 hours in one week.

Are you hoping to become a dentist or dental hygienist in your long term plan?
I called many offices before the pandemic and didn't get any callbacks. It's highly unlikely now during the pandemic that a dentist would allow a stranger into their office, not knowing where I've been. And I'm pretty sure patients would not want me to be in the same room with them since they also don't know where I've been. They'll probably be uncomfortable with me around.

I'm hoping to become a dental hygienist as my career!

Members don't see this ad :)
I called many offices before the pandemic and didn't get any callbacks. It's highly unlikely now during the pandemic that a dentist would allow a stranger into their office, not knowing where I've been. And I'm pretty sure patients would not want me to be in the same room with them since they also don't know where I've been. They'll probably be uncomfortable with me around.

I'm hoping to become a dental hygienist as my career!
I am not entirely sure about your specific area, it may have more restrictions than others. I know some of my pre-dent mentees are still shadowing normally, so I don't think dentists are thaaaaat worried about allowing a 'stranger' in their office, esp as all of their pts are just that.

95% of pts will not notice or care - so don't worry about them.

do not call offices. They have so many other things going on that they can't worry about your phone call. Just show up to any office and ask them if you can shadow. 16 hrs is literally two days of shadowing, shouldn't be too difficult in my opinion. I bet you will find someone this way. Good luck!

Reactions: 1 users
In my experience, corps are easier to shadow at due to their hours being extended beyond the typical 8-4 hours.. mine was open til 7:30 pm one night and 8 the next.. also open on the weekend every once in a while. Now with the pandemic, I’m not sure if they’ll allow it but you can try

Last edited:
I am not entirely sure about your specific area, it may have more restrictions than others. I know some of my pre-dent mentees are still shadowing normally, so I don't think dentists are thaaaaat worried about allowing a 'stranger' in their office, esp as all of their pts are just that.

95% of pts will not notice or care - so don't worry about them.

do not call offices. They have so many other things going on that they can't worry about your phone call. Just show up to any office and ask them if you can shadow. 16 hrs is literally two days of shadowing, shouldn't be too difficult in my opinion. I bet you will find someone this way. Good luck!
ohh ok thanks for the advice!