What do I do now?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

coffeeluver

10+ Year Member
5+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
Last year, while I was filling out AMCAS, I didn't report a withdrawal (W) from a class I was taking at a community college because I thought we didn't have to report those. So what do I do now? Don't schools keep record of past applications? What if I report it this year, wouldn't it look dishonest because it didn't appear on last year's application?

Members don't see this ad.

mbess481 said:
I would anonymously call AAMC. DO NOT give your name. Ask them what to do.

Take it from there. If you don't feel certain about how to remedy this after talking to AAMC, post here and people will advise, I am sure.

mbess481 said:
I would just say that you do not want to give your name because you want to understand the AAMC's policy before potentially incriminating yourself. Explain that it was an honest mistake last year and you want to be sure that there are avenues to remedy this error that will not destroy your application for this cycle. Once you have an understanding of how to proceed, tell them you will call at another time to discuss this in-depth, with your ID# and identity.

I'm thinking they will most likely tell me to report it. It's AMCAS, they don't care if we ever get into med school, they just want to do their job. I dunno, is missing a W at a community college that big of a deal anyways? It's not even a grade. If I put it in now, I'm surely incriminating myself, don't you think?

Members don't see this ad :)
i really don't think ANYONE is gonna cross reference your apps that closely. that would be incredibly time consuming. if however, they do, at least you can give an honest answer. they already rejected you for the 08 app cycle, so there's nothing more they can do to you for your error.

Mr. Rosewater said:
i really don't think ANYONE is gonna cross reference your apps that closely. that would be incredibly time consuming. if however, they do, at least you can give an honest answer. they already rejected you for the 08 app cycle, so there's nothing more they can do to you for your error.

so you're advising to continue leaving it out or put it in for this year? i don't know, what if AMCAS reports it to schools that I left it out from past cycles? I think AMCAS knows because they cross reference all our transcripts and will see this as an old class but not reported last year.

The first year, I listed my pass fail classes as P/F... They changed them to S/U
The next year, I listed them as S/U so they wouldn't change them... They changed them to P/F.
The third year, I listed them as P/F... They left them as P/F... "THANK YOU AAMC!"

Also, I was an engineer so some of my classes could be MBPC or other. The first year, I put alot as MBCP... No problems.. The second year, I stupidly (it was on the computer and looked like I needed to put them as other) put them as other... Then the third year, I decided I was stupid and put them into the science courses where I felt they belonged. No body complained the first, second, or third year.

Hope that helps. If you correctly put it in this year, they will simply see that you made an honest mistake last year... IF anybody even notices or cares... Last year is over. It's fixed for this year and that is the year they care about.

I agree. I don't think they'll even look and compare. I would still ask...just in case and explain your situation, but as long as you fill it out correctly this time, I don't know why they'd penalize you

coffeeluver said:
so you're advising to continue leaving it out or put it in for this year? i don't know, what if AMCAS reports it to schools that I left it out from past cycles? I think AMCAS knows because they cross reference all our transcripts and will see this as an old class but not reported last year.
"Hello Harvard?... Umm yes, we have a student here who incorrectly submitted his AMCAS app last year and then corrected it this year... What? Why do we care you ask?... Well, it's just that we think he was being dishonest last year... What?... No, we didn't catch it last year.... Yes, checking of the transcripts is our job...Ummm yes, we did miss it. We're sorry, it'll never happen again. What about the student?... You don't care you say as long as this year's app is good?... Umm OK...sorry to bother you..."

:D :p :smuggrin: :p :D

? said:
... hmm...I think the post I quoted dissappeared...
You're afraid they'll kick you out of the program for making a mistake? Shoot, I make mistakes every day. ;)

I don't think it's important enough for you to raise any red flags. It's a minor mistake on one tiny portion of an application that did not affect your gpa, your EC, you LORs... It's a W. Other people have them. It's only one. They won't care. I say no reason to directly bring it up (if you do, they might say "Oh, that's nice" ... but why chance that you happen to tell mr anal retentive), but if they ask, be honest and tell them you made a mistake on last years med school app. No biggie... AMCAS should have caught it and fixed it for you (that's their job!)

But, wait till tomorrow, others on SDN might agree with me... and then, they might dissagree with me... You never can tell.