• SDN Site Updates

Hey everyone! The site will be down for approximately 2 hours on Thursday, August 5th for site updates.

• How To ACE Your Medical School Interview

In this webinar hosted by SDN with experts from BeMo Academic Consulting, you will learn a simple five-step process to help you translate your interview invitation into an acceptance.

sweet2th

ready to roll
10+ Year Member
5+ Year Member
Mar 9, 2005
PA
Status (Visible)
PA resident, applied to the following:
Jefferson, Drexel, Temple, Penn (on hold), UVM, UConn (on hold), RWJ, SUNY Buffalo, Albany (Rejected), GW (Rejected), and Rosalind. No interviews. Letters of interest sent to Jeff, Drexel, Temple, and UConn. One acceptance to DO school. Is there anything I can do now besides wait? Why have the other schools not rejected me yet? What are they waiting for?!?! Stats are 3.3 undergrad, 3.8 masters, 26 MCAT...super LOR from docs who work or are alum at 2 of the schools i applied. Work with patients now in research...good PS. I know I'm not a stellar applicant on paper, but i just need an interview to prove myself. Do I send out more letters, make a call, just keep praying or what?

instigata

10+ Year Member
Apr 21, 2006
Status (Visible)
  1. Medical Student
Why have the other schools not rejected me yet? What are they waiting for?!?! Stats are 3.3 undergrad, 3.8 masters, 26 MCAT...super LOR from docs who work or are alum at 2 of the schools i applied.

Sorry to tell you this if you don't already know, but your MCAT is on the low side for an MD program. It will be VERY difficult to pull off an interview with a 26, even if you had a 4.0 undergrad and 4.0 masters GPA's. Have u considered retaking the MCAT?

sweet2th

ready to roll
10+ Year Member
5+ Year Member
Mar 9, 2005
PA
Status (Visible)
i took it twice...two prep courses. first time i got a 21. i'm not a test taker
:(

About the Ads

sweet2th

ready to roll
10+ Year Member
5+ Year Member
Mar 9, 2005
PA
Status (Visible)
i am just bitter. think about it....so I get a DO and in 4 years I'll be standing next to other MDs, learning the same thing, writing scripts, in the same residency programs (yes, I will have to take two exams), being involved in research and we'll be doing the SAME thing. It just amazes me that at this time, a door has been closed on me when, if I was to fast foward some time, I'll have the same end point. :thumbdown:

Scottish Chap

Moderator Emeritus
15+ Year Member
Aug 3, 2003
i am just bitter. think about it....so I get a DO and in 4 years I'll be standing next to other MDs, learning the same thing, writing scripts, in the same residency programs (yes, I will have to take two exams), being involved in research and we'll be doing the SAME thing. It just amazes me that at this time, a door has been closed on me when, if I was to fast foward some time, I'll have the same end point. :thumbdown:
Congratulations on your acceptance. Why not just focus on being the best physician you can be instead of caring what those around you think? Some people just don't get this opportunity that you have. Also, did you know that several allopathic residency programs (including some at Johns Hopkins) accept the comlex?

koennen

Lend Me An Ear
10+ Year Member
Oct 30, 2006
Philadelphia, PA
Status (Visible)

Why does it amaze you? Did you really think you had a shot at an allo school with a 26 MCAT? Not to be unkind, but you'd need a miracle or an uncle on an admissions committee just to get an interview with that score. A lot of people delude themselves into thinking that a great personal statement/LORs/clinical experience/etc. are going to make up for lousy stats. Unfortunately, it is the rare case where they do. This is largely a numbers game and your MCAT just doesn't cut it.

However, you are right. You'll arrive at the same end point. You'll be standing next to MDs doing the same exact thing they're doing and making the same exact money. So what are you bitching about? If you are so unhappy to be going to a DO school (which you obviously are or not getting into an allo school wouldn't leave you so bitter), give up your DO acceptance so that someone who IS interested in osteopathic medicine can realize their dream.

sweet2th

ready to roll
10+ Year Member
5+ Year Member
Mar 9, 2005
PA
Status (Visible)
Why does it amaze you? Did you really think you had a shot at an allo school with a 26 MCAT? Not to be unkind, but you'd need a miracle or an uncle on an admissions committee just to get an interview with that score. A lot of people delude themselves into thinking that a great personal statement/LORs/clinical experience/etc. are going to make up for lousy stats. Unfortunately, it is the rare case where they do. This is largely a numbers game and your MCAT just doesn't cut it.

However, you are right. You'll arrive at the same end point. You'll be standing next to MDs doing the same exact thing they're doing and making the same exact money. So what are you bitching about? If you are so unhappy to be going to a DO school (which you obviously are or not getting into an allo school wouldn't leave you so bitter), give up your DO acceptance so that someone who IS interested in osteopathic medicine can realize their dream.

i didn't delude myself at all. the start of the process i knew what i was doing and never expected to have my MCATs glazed over. you can't get in if you don't try. you say "unfortunately, it is the rare case " for people to be accepted with lower scores... are you saying that MCATs determine who will be a qualified doctor? i see that you applied to both MD and DO. i'm not bitter about a DO but i'm just saying that its ironic that no allopathic program will consider me, yet i may one day be equally as successful as their graduates.

Oschemi

10+ Year Member
5+ Year Member
Sep 9, 2006
Status (Visible)
  1. Medical Student

Huh, I got interviews at four allopathic schools with a 23, it is not impossible and no, I am not a URM. Pls stop trying to discourage future applicants with hearsay.:rolleyes:

chad5871

Moderator Emeritus
10+ Year Member
Apr 7, 2006
New York, NY
Status (Visible)
  1. Fellow [Any Field]
What is the breakdown of your MCAT score? That might have something to do with it...

One of my brother's best friends got into VCU with a 26 MCAT, although he was in-state and got in off the waitlist.

Green Pirate

Neurotic Neuro Enthusiast
10+ Year Member
5+ Year Member
Nov 13, 2006
Status (Visible)
  1. Pre-Medical
Hey Chad... I'm a VCU undergrad too! :thumbup:
I'm actually in the gmed program (I dunno if you've heard about it).

sorry. I realize I have contributed nothing to this thread.

to sweet2th... I think we all understand your disappointment. You're right, some people just aren't test takers. Unfortunately medicine is a discipline that places heavy emphasis on tests. After the MCAT, there's the Step 1,2,3 to look forward to. It might not be fair, but that's just the way it works. All you can do is become the best doctor you think you can be.

sweet2th

ready to roll
10+ Year Member
5+ Year Member
Mar 9, 2005
PA
Status (Visible)
What is the breakdown of your MCAT score? That might have something to do with it...

One of my brothers best friends got into VCU with a 26 MCAT, although he was in-state and got in off the waitlist.

breakdown is 10P, 8V, 8B

DropkickMurphy

Membership Revoked
Removed
10+ Year Member
Sep 13, 2005
A bar room in Mombasa drinking gin
Status (Visible)
  1. Other Health Professions Student
PA resident, applied to the following:
Jefferson, Drexel, Temple, Penn (on hold), UVM, UConn (on hold), RWJ, SUNY Buffalo, Albany (Rejected), GW (Rejected), and Rosalind. No interviews. Letters of interest sent to Jeff, Drexel, Temple, and UConn. One acceptance to DO school. Is there anything I can do now besides wait? Why have the other schools not rejected me yet? What are they waiting for?!?! Stats are 3.3 undergrad, 3.8 masters, 26 MCAT...super LOR from docs who work or are alum at 2 of the schools i applied. Work with patients now in research...good PS. I know I'm not a stellar applicant on paper, but i just need an interview to prove myself. Do I send out more letters, make a call, just keep praying or what?
Just get used to the idea of giving your classmates backrubs when you should be studying.......

chad5871

Moderator Emeritus
10+ Year Member
Apr 7, 2006
New York, NY
Status (Visible)
  1. Fellow [Any Field]
Hey Chad... I'm a VCU undergrad too! :thumbup:
I'm actually in the gmed program (I dunno if you've heard about it).
Cool. I sent you a PM.
breakdown is 10P, 8V, 8B
Well, that's not bad. I was thinking that maybe one of your sections was disparately low. Unfortunately I don't know what else to tell you. Did you contact the deans of the schools you were rejected from to get advice on your application? They're usually pretty blunt with you about what you need to improve. If you've already been accepted to a DO school, I would take it. Go and be a successful doctor. Good luck to you!

About the Ads

dr.pinky

10+ Year Member
5+ Year Member
Jan 6, 2006
New York
Status (Visible)
  1. Medical Student
Hey sweet2th,

I can't exactly advise you on your situation, but just to add to the conversation....I had a score of 23 after taking the MCAT two times and was still able to get 4 interviews at competitive schools. SO, don't give up hope. Also, I agree that you should at least be happy about getting into a DO school simply because some of your peers might not get that far in the process. Good luck! ;)

mdm_sparkle

10+ Year Member
May 16, 2006
Status (Visible)
  1. Pre-Medical
An acceptance is an acceptance. I understand being a little disheartened it wasn't your first choice but just like you said in your orignial post in four years you will be a DOCTOR regardless of anything else. And if that is your goal who cares where you go to accomplish it! The Dahli Lama talks about comparing yourself to other people to help see the positive - do you know how many people would trade places with you in a heartbeat just to have an acceptance? I know I would :)

koennen

Lend Me An Ear
10+ Year Member
Oct 30, 2006
Philadelphia, PA
Status (Visible)
Hey sweet2th,

I can't exactly advise you on your situation, but just to add to the conversation....I had a score of 23 after taking the MCAT two times and was still able to get 4 interviews at competitive schools. SO, don't give up hope. Also, I agree that you should at least be happy about getting into a DO school simply because some of your peers might not get that far in the process. Good luck! ;)

Same questions as for Oschemi. What schools? Any offers?

Karen12345

10+ Year Member
Feb 16, 2007
Status (Visible)
  1. Non-Student
Sorry to tell you this if you don't already know, but your MCAT is on the low side for an MD program. It will be VERY difficult to pull off an interview with a 26, even if you had a 4.0 undergrad and 4.0 masters GPA's. Have u considered retaking the MCAT?

An admission committee member told me that anything 8 and above in each section is considered decent. People do get invited to interviews with 26 MCAT, even if they don't have perfect GPAs and ideal personal traits. MCAT result is just one of many considerations. Great test takers don't always make outstanding physicians. Committee members know that there is much more to your application than your test score. Please don't get discouraged.

Cirrus83

Too old for this
10+ Year Member
May 31, 2006
Status (Visible)
  1. Attending Physician
breakdown is 10P, 8V, 8B

Well for what it's worth, I think you could probably bring your score up a bit more if you tried (painfully, I know) again. It wouldn't be easy, but I think with enough work you could hit a 30.

Of course, it'd probably take an obscene amount of work as you probably already know. But if you want to go Allopathic there's really no realistic chance with your 26.

And your test taking skills are going to be needed on the USMLE too, so...start brushing up on those testing skills.

W

Wizard of Oz

An admission committee member told me that anything 8 and above in each section is considered decent. People do get invited to interviews with 26 MCAT, even if they don't have perfect GPAs and ideal personal traits. MCAT result is just one of many considerations. Great test takers don't always make outstanding physicians. Committee members know that there is much more to your application than your test score. Please don't get discouraged.

The licensing boards and residency programs seem to think so.

Don't be discouraged, but also don't walk into Little Bighorn with a 26 and expect to come out unscathed. Yeah 8 is decent, but decent isn't going to help much in a pool of hundreds of students with 30+ MCAT scores.

MCAT is one of the many considerations, but it's the airstrike before the ground war as far as the admissions is concerned.

braluk

SDN Surgerynator
Moderator Emeritus
10+ Year Member
5+ Year Member
Apr 30, 2006
The Big Easy
Status (Visible)
  1. Medical Student
Keep in mind that alot of schools factor in the bio section of mcat more than you know. Why? Because US News includes as a factor in determining rankings. While bio may not necessarily be the best indication of you as a student, it is important because rankings=business=money. Because most averages for bio tend to be around a 10, if they accept you as an 8, they'll have to look for a 12 to maintain that 10 average- then they to ask, soooo what does this candidate offer that will make me choose him over a regular 10. Granted, I got in with an 8 verbal, but with a 11 bio and a 12 physics- my friend with the same score was accepted nowhere with an 8 bio. Not that I can really compare, nor speak about how important the bio section REALLY is, but keep in mind that while your score isnt terrible it is in the average range of US MCAT takers. There was also some study out there by aamc that said that MCAT is a good predictor of step1- high averages for a school tend to make it shine more on forums such as SDN. Just keep your head up, and understand that this is a really trying process and alot of factors are sometimes out of your hands. In the end, you'll both be practicing on the sides with MDs (if DO becomes your choice) and salary will be the same. You'll have your family and have your kids and life will be good. Does it really matter then that you went to DO school vs. MD?

About the Ads
This thread is more than 14 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. Your new thread title is very short, and likely is unhelpful.
  2. Your reply is very short and likely does not add anything to the thread.
  3. Your reply is very long and likely does not add anything to the thread.
  4. It is very likely that it does not need any further discussion and thus bumping it serves no purpose.
  5. Your message is mostly quotes or spoilers.
  6. Your reply has occurred very quickly after a previous reply and likely does not add anything to the thread.
  7. This thread is locked.