• SDN Site Updates

Hey everyone! The site will be down for approximately 2 hours on Thursday, August 5th for site updates.

kamo

10+ Year Member
Feb 10, 2008
Status (Visible)
  1. Pre-Psychology
Hey guys, Here is my situation. There was a PhD program that I really wanted to go to. They have multiple faculty members researching in my area, and they have awesome funding. Well, I interviewed at this school, and was waitlisted. Finally last week, they told me they didn't have a place for me. So I then accepted an offer at a PsyD program (which is also an awesome program) and gave it to them in writing. Today the PhD program that I originally wanted to go to decided they were going to open up an additional spot for me! I don't know what to do! I called the PsyD program to tell them the situation I am in, but they have already contacted all the people on the waitlist to tell them the positions are full and so on and so forth. Is there anyway that I can still go to the PhD program without getting a horrible reputation? What is the next step? Any suggestions! Thank you in advance for your thoughts!

Ilovecows

10+ Year Member
Feb 4, 2008
Status (Visible)
First though, what a lucky person you are -- to be accepted at both awesome places. Congratulations.

Now, I guess this is why sometimes people hold onto offers until April 15. So. Hmm...that's so...tricky. But for me, I'd try my hardest to get out of the PsyD acceptance so that you could take the PhD acceptance instead. I'm saying that only not just because it's PsyD vs. PhD, but because the PhD was your first choice yes?
:(

You might risk looking bad but the PhD was your top choice right? It's 5+ years of your life that you'll be happier...
I'd say regardless of how you'd potentially look..go for that 1st choice PhD...

About the Ads

lilies05

10+ Year Member
Oct 29, 2007
Status (Visible)
i 3rd...

as a wise wo(man)said on the board here to a similar question - for the psyd program, it'll just be a temporary pain in the *** - for you, it is a life choice.

(I ad-libbed)

WannaBeDrMe

10+ Year Member
Apr 14, 2008
Status (Visible)
Just read your other message, what a sticky/tricky (but joyous) situation... :)

If there was ever a question for DrClnPsyAdvice... I think this is the one...

My approach would be to just talk to the one you feel most comfortable with @ PsyD and explain the situation... All of those people had first choices once upon a time too... so it shouldn't be unfamiliar territory to anyone in academics...

I'd say as long as you handle it with grace and demonstrate the same genuine concern for the PsyD to them as you have on the boards... you should be ok...

Besides, it's not like this is mid-August... it's only the 15th today...there's still time for the PsyD to find another student. ME??? ha

Good luck, let us know how it goes please, inquiring minds...

KTpsych

10+ Year Member
5+ Year Member
Mar 5, 2008
Status (Visible)
  1. Pre-Psychology
Also, remember, you have to pay for some PsyDs. If you have to pay, then don't hesitate one more minute

kamo

10+ Year Member
Feb 10, 2008
Status (Visible)
  1. Pre-Psychology
Thank you all for your opinions! I have called the PsyD program. They were a little upset since they have already informed everyone on the waitlist that the spots had been filled, but like you all have said, I have to do what is best for me. And to answer some questions, yes the PhD program was originally my first pick. And another question, both programs were funded with a tuition waiver and stipend; however, the PhD program has a much higher stipend. Thank you again for your thoughts! Having read that all of you would do the same thing, I am finally not feeling bad about the situation, and I am started to get excited. I will be going to a PhD program in the fall! Yay! :hardy: :banana:

wannabePHD

10+ Year Member
Feb 29, 2008
Status (Visible)
  1. Psychology Student
Firstly, congrats on your decision! Not to be a snoop or anything....but didn't you post that you were going to EMU on 4/8? Did something fall through?

kamo

10+ Year Member
Feb 10, 2008
Status (Visible)
  1. Pre-Psychology
Firstly, congrats on your decision! Not to be a snoop or anything....but didn't you post that you were going to EMU on 4/8? Did something fall through?

LOL. Actually I posted on 4/8 that I would be going to Marshall. I edited it tonight to make it say I would be going to EMU, which is where I will be going now because they are the ones who called me today. :D Sorry about the confusion!

RileyG

School of Hard Knocks
10+ Year Member
5+ Year Member
Dec 27, 2007
Status (Visible)
  1. Psychology Student
i 3rd...

as a wise wo(man)said on the board here to a similar question - for the psyd program, it'll just be a temporary pain in the *** - for you, it is a life choice.

(I ad-libbed)

yay! I got quoted! well, my quote of someone else got quoted...

anyways, I think you made the right decision and I did the exact same thing (I made the change last Friday). Congrats!

Ilovecows

10+ Year Member
Feb 4, 2008
Status (Visible)
Woot, I'm glad we helped you make a decision that FELT RIGHT FOR YOU!
Good job and congrats again, have an awesome time in your PhD program.

sicologia

10+ Year Member
Apr 9, 2007
Chicago, Illinois, USA
Status (Visible)
  1. Post Doc
Thank you all for your opinions! I have called the PsyD program. They were a little upset since they have already informed everyone on the waitlist that the spots had been filled

Congrats on your decision. As you said yourself, the PsyD program had to contact everyone on the waitlist much like your PhD program did. It's kind of interesting how every program works in their own way. Congratulations!

About the Ads
This thread is more than 13 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. Your new thread title is very short, and likely is unhelpful.
  2. Your reply is very short and likely does not add anything to the thread.
  3. Your reply is very long and likely does not add anything to the thread.
  4. It is very likely that it does not need any further discussion and thus bumping it serves no purpose.
  5. Your message is mostly quotes or spoilers.
  6. Your reply has occurred very quickly after a previous reply and likely does not add anything to the thread.
  7. This thread is locked.