Status
Not open for further replies.

TheBoneDoctah

7+ Year Member
Mar 12, 2013
Status
  1. Resident [Any Field]
Greetings, hope this message finds you well. I am in need on advising on what to do and I look forward to your assistance.

I am originally from Ghana West Africa, where I spent the most part of my life and attended high school until I moved to the USA. I recently graduated college in May 2020 and took the MCAT on September 4. Unfortunately, the exam did not go well for me and I am willing to put in more effort and retake.

Before receiving my MCAT score, I applied to 20 schools and completed secondaries but not heard from any. (I believe this is due to my score).

I am unsure on what to do now, as deadlines for postbacc programs are long due. Also, a few people have told me that I do not need a postbacc but I just need to retake the MCAT and have significant improvement.

I am looking to retake the MCAT in January 2021.

Is it recommended I take a few courses at a 4 year college near me ? I have seen some upper level courses such as histology, virology, neurobiology. OR just focus on the MCAT ?

Background
Major : Biology
Minor : Africana Studies

AMCAS Verified GPA
BCPM : 3.28 - 60 credit hours
All Other : 3.61 - 42 credit hours
Total GPA : 3.41 - 102 credit hours

September 4 MCAT score
: 493
C/P : 123
Cars : 121
Bio : 123
PS : 126

Hours
volunteer : 95
shadowing : 200
Hurricane distance relief volunteer : 200
Work experience (NY state intern) :2150
Research (study abroad) : 4000
To be competitive for MD schools, you will likely need a DIY post-bac, retake the MCAT and score 510+, and increase your clinical volunteer hours.

For DO, you need to retake the MCAT and score 505+ and increase your volunteer hours.

tantacles

Moderator Emeritus
Lifetime Donor
10+ Year Member
Sep 28, 2009
Status
  1. Attending Physician
I think you have the right idea. post bacc with excellent performance and then an MCAT retake is likely to be your most probable route to success.

Status
Not open for further replies.
About the Ads