What do I need to do to get into medical school?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

clumpymold

7+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
Okay, I know this sounds like a pretty generic question, but I want this thread to be based on MY statistics and situation.

Some background information:

I'm currently 28, living in Los Angeles, Asian, and male. I grew up in Northern California, went to school at UCSD, and now live in Los Angeles, where I currently work as a part-time tutor/teacher.

I graduated UCSD class of 2000 with a B.S. in Biology and a B.A. in Economics. I never had any intention of going to graduate school so my GPA is very low at, officially, 2.999 (science GPA roughly the same). I have yet to take the MCAT and am currently studying for that now by teaching/tutoring part-time Biology and Chemistry to high school students. I've been doing that now for about 3 years and can say that I understand Biology and Chemistry pretty well now (teaching sure does help :D ).

I only realized recently (about 3 years ago) that I wanted to become a doctor (long story) and that is one of the reasons I started teaching (why not get paid to study, right? :p ).

A little history on my life:

I was born an identical twin with XLA (X-linked agammaglobulinemia). For those that don't know or don't want to search, I'm basically unable to produce antibodies for my body. Because of this, I have to get IvIg (intravenous immunoglobulin) treatment every 2-4 weeks for life. I'm also on antibiotics for life now (been on them the last 10 or so years now) to aid my immune system. It is partly because of this condition (and partly because of the horrendous treatment I've received while in LA) that I want to become a doctor.

My brother (2 minutes younger and my only sibling) actually just graduated medical school last month and is now doing residency so I'm not too worried about not being "fit" to undergo this process (although I feel like I'm pushing my health sometimes just living in this bacteria-infested LA :( ).

I would like to specialize in immunology (for obvious reasons ;) ) but am not really sure how to go about it. My first choice is UCSF (because of ther sympathy to "disadvantaged" applicants and second is UCSD (my alma mater). I'm afraid, however, that I have a VERY slim chance of getting into either.

Not sure if this helps but I also grew up with divorced parents (parents divorced when I was 2) and my brother and I lived with my father who was never there. It was essentially my brother and I and we took care of ourselves. We paid for EVERYTHING ourselves since we were 18 (including college). At 14 we were already cooking and shopping for ourselves and 16 we drove and shopped for ourselves, as well as worked. We had no parental support whatsoever so it was rather difficult to really figure out what we wanted to do with our lives.

As far as where I stand now, I've taken most of the medical school prerequisites, save for a full year of organic chemistry (only taken 2 quarters out of 3) and an organic chemistry lab.

So my questions are these:

Should I take the prerequisite courses NOW or wait until AFTER the MCAT, which I plan to take April 2006? If I should take them, should I take at UCLA, Cal State LA, or does it matter? Can I even take them at Cal State LA (does it transfer?) or can I only take them at a UC school?

Regarding the MCAT, how should I study? I'm trying to focus on organic chemistry since I pretty much sucked at that. I taught physics for a bit so I know a LITTLE about that. I also need to brush up on my reading and writing skills, I believe.

What should I do about work/volunteer/etc.? Should I keep my tutoring job? It pays well and it's nice to only work 10 hours/week to pay the bills. But does it help my application?

Okay, I hope this wasn't too long (I wanted to get EVERYTHING in).

ANY feedback is appreciated. Thank you VERY much! :)

Curtis

[email protected]

Members don't see this ad.

if you already took prereqs, don't take again. If you want to apply DO and think you don't remember the prereqs I would suggest retaking some of them. If you got B- or better, don't bother though. I think if you take some upper level classes (maybe post-bacc special masters program) or something like that you'd be fine and rock the MCAT you'd be fine. Your illness and rigorous schedule was reason for low grades? That could be the focus of your personal statement but you need to ace all calsses. I don't know if just taking upper levels would do it though b/c you were a bio major. I would talk to a few schools and see what they think. Admissions counselors are there to help you. Also read up on some post-bacc programs. :luck:

mshheaddoc said:
if you already took prereqs, don't take again. If you want to apply DO and think you don't remember the prereqs I would suggest retaking some of them. If you got B- or better, don't bother though. I think if you take some upper level classes (maybe post-bacc special masters program) or something like that you'd be fine and rock the MCAT you'd be fine. Your illness and rigorous schedule was reason for low grades? That could be the focus of your personal statement but you need to ace all calsses. I don't know if just taking upper levels would do it though b/c you were a bio major. I would talk to a few schools and see what they think. Admissions counselors are there to help you. Also read up on some post-bacc programs. :luck:

What she said...

Members don't see this ad :)
MS (If you have time and resources) with high GPA might help the adcoms to see that you can handle the course load and up your Sc GPA. Good Luck.... also as the other posters said leave the DO route open too....you can specialize in ID thru' that route as well

Just my $0.02

mshheaddoc said:
Okay, I just checked with the colleges I'd like to apply to and, apparently, I don't need any more classes as I've already satisfied the prereqs (I think). Well, I took only one quarter of math at college but I had AP credit. Does that count? I would really prefer not to take extra math courses. Science courses, however, I don't mind as much.

I think I'd like to take some prereqs over just as refresher courses. Out of my 14 biology courses, I got "C" grades in SIX of them. Wow. :( Also, could I take classes I never took while as an undergrad? Like anatomy or physiology? I'd like to learn more about those. And what about Spanish. I hear that's good to know when applying.

No, my illness and working was NOT the reason for my low grades. I had NO intention of going to graduate school and just needed to graduate. So I never really cared to study. As long as I passed, I was content. Unfortunately, now, however, it's hurting me. I can't believe not knowing what you want BEFORE you go to college can hurt you THIS badly. And parents are still forcing their kids to go to college and THEN decide. :confused:

CanIMakeIt said:
MS (If you have time and resources) with high GPA might help the adcoms to see that you can handle the course load and up your Sc GPA. Good Luck.... also as the other posters said leave the DO route open too....you can specialize in ID thru' that route as well

Just my $0.02
Hmm, I'll look into the DO route. MS, I don't think so though. Not sure though.

Wow! What a story! Just wanted to say ditto on what mshheaddoc said.

However, if you're worried about studying for the MCAT, I would say to retake the class if you're scoring a 6 or below. (I've tutored students scoring that low and at that point, personal tutoring isn't gonna do it. You gotta just relearn everything.) If you're scoring 7 - 8, I would consider more intensive studying (like start from studying the basic basics), but no need to actually retake courses. Once you reach 9 - 10, review books and practice tests should be enough.

There are many sites where you can take the MCAT. They take place on major university campuses, state college campuses, and community college campuses alike. Do some research on reputations of different sites. (UCSD has a terrible reputation. Most people in SD take it at SDSU.)

How to study? There are LONG threads about that in the MCAT Discussions. But I think the most important is PRACTICE PRACTICE PRACTICE. And practice intelligently. Know where your knowledge gaps are, know how your application skills fall short, and know where your idiosyncratic pitfalls are. My rule goes like this: If you're scoring 10s, you've pretty much conquered your knowledge gaps; if you're scoring 12s, you've pretty much conquered your application short-comings; if you're scoring 14+, you've conquered yourself and the test - good job! Specifically about Orgo: In Orgo, look for themes of how functional groups react, and understand a little of experimental orgo. (Yes, I realize you call it O-Chem, but I refuse to switch!) Start doing a lot of reading to help you on VR (i.e. The Economist). Start reading a lot of leisure books. It'll help you on your WS and your app essays. There is a thread about medically related books on SDN.

Also, of course you can take classes you didn't take in undergrad. Take as many as you can and ace them to counterbalance your low GPA. Like everyone said, consider SMP and DO programs (a doc is a doc no matter how you get there, for the most part). Take Spanish if you want to be considered at UCSD.

I think that covers most things. Good luck. And you're not by chance a Lambda, are you? Just curious. Take care!

MaDe in Cali said:
Wow! What a story! Just wanted to say ditto on what mshheaddoc said.

However, if you're worried about studying for the MCAT, I would say to retake the class if you're scoring a 6 or below. (I've tutored students scoring that low and at that point, personal tutoring isn't gonna do it. You gotta just relearn everything.) If you're scoring 7 - 8, I would consider more intensive studying (like start from studying the basic basics), but no need to actually retake courses. Once you reach 9 - 10, review books and practice tests should be enough.

There are many sites where you can take the MCAT. They take place on major university campuses, state college campuses, and community college campuses alike. Do some research on reputations of different sites. (UCSD has a terrible reputation. Most people in SD take it at SDSU.)

How to study? There are LONG threads about that in the MCAT Discussions. But I think the most important is PRACTICE PRACTICE PRACTICE. And practice intelligently. Know where your knowledge gaps are, know how your application skills fall short, and know where your idiosyncratic pitfalls are. My rule goes like this: If you're scoring 10s, you've pretty much conquered your knowledge gaps; if you're scoring 12s, you've pretty much conquered your application short-comings; if you're scoring 14+, you've conquered yourself and the test - good job! Specifically about Orgo: In Orgo, look for themes of how functional groups react, and understand a little of experimental orgo. (Yes, I realize you call it O-Chem, but I refuse to switch!) Start doing a lot of reading to help you on VR (i.e. The Economist). Start reading a lot of leisure books. It'll help you on your WS and your app essays. There is a thread about medically related books on SDN.

Also, of course you can take classes you didn't take in undergrad. Take as many as you can and ace them to counterbalance your low GPA. Like everyone said, consider SMP and DO programs (a doc is a doc no matter how you get there, for the most part). Take Spanish if you want to be considered at UCSD.

I think that covers most things. Good luck. And you're not by chance a Lambda, are you? Just curious. Take care!

Wow, thank you for that post. VERY helpful. I guess the best bet for me now, despite how hard it is, is for me to take a practice exam. THEN see how I'll do. Not sure though. I only have so many practice exams.

Thanks for the advice on reading. I'll look into The Economist. I HARDLY read, that's the problem. I've been trying to read more to get into the habit of it but that'll take some time.

If I take random classes how will that go into my GPA? Will that average into it? I mean, couldn't I then just take super easy classes that are unrelated then? I'm sure that'll help boost my GPA. :p

Anyway, thanks for the help. I'll have to remember that for Orgo. ;)

Oh, and nope, not a Lambda. How did you figure that/guess that?

I used to be a high school biology teacher. Most of the stuff on the MCAT is comparable to AP High School classes!

I took AP Bio Chem and Honors Physics(didn't offer the AP at the time) in HS and would have to say they'd suffice.

I recommend taking a prep course...I took Princeton Review for my SAT and Kaplan for the MCAT. They're both good and Kaplan (in chicago) had a center where you could re-watch classes in video rooms and take all kinds of extra tests...like language lab etc.

Right now I'm prepping for the August test with ExamKrackers...which is like preschool with a book in front of you while you play the CD. I'm shadowing it with a newer princeton review book.

You'd be wasting your time to retake the classes unless you just suck at science and match...which you clearly don't.

I agree with the other guy....consider a science oriented masters and or apply to DO schools.

And tutoring will give you more time to study and prepare...don't worry about tons of ECs clearly you're active and have a memorable story for your personal statement!

Good Luck!

-s

clumpymold said:
Wow, thank you for that post. VERY helpful. I guess the best bet for me now, despite how hard it is, is for me to take a practice exam. THEN see how I'll do. Not sure though. I only have so many practice exams.

Thanks for the advice on reading. I'll look into The Economist. I HARDLY read, that's the problem. I've been trying to read more to get into the habit of it but that'll take some time.

If I take random classes how will that go into my GPA? Will that average into it? I mean, couldn't I then just take super easy classes that are unrelated then? I'm sure that'll help boost my GPA. :p

Anyway, thanks for the help. I'll have to remember that for Orgo. ;)

Oh, and nope, not a Lambda. How did you figure that/guess that?

PhDtoMD said:
I used to be a high school biology teacher. Most of the stuff on the MCAT is comparable to AP High School classes!

I took AP Bio Chem and Honors Physics(didn't offer the AP at the time) in HS and would have to say they'd suffice.

I recommend taking a prep course...I took Princeton Review for my SAT and Kaplan for the MCAT. They're both good and Kaplan (in chicago) had a center where you could re-watch classes in video rooms and take all kinds of extra tests...like language lab etc.

Right now I'm prepping for the August test with ExamKrackers...which is like preschool with a book in front of you while you play the CD. I'm shadowing it with a newer princeton review book.

You'd be wasting your time to retake the classes unless you just suck at science and match...which you clearly don't.

I agree with the other guy....consider a science oriented masters and or apply to DO schools.

And tutoring will give you more time to study and prepare...don't worry about tons of ECs clearly you're active and have a memorable story for your personal statement!

Good Luck!

-s

Hi,

Thanks for the reply. Wow, a high school biology teacher going to medicine. :) So you had a PhD and you were teaching high school biology? I don't know many of those.

But yes, as I'm reviewing the biology and chemistry sections for the MCAT, I realize that I DO know quite a bit. Most of it is review. It'll be organic chemistry (and partly physics) that I'll be REALLY rusty on. I've noticed, however, that some of chemistry overlaps with organic chemistry which is good. :D

I would love to take one of those prep courses but I can't find any locally I actually teach at one of those institutions (similar) so it'll be strange to go someplace else. :p

I think I'll lean more towards the DO route before I consider going Masters. I don't know if I'm up for that (or my body, anyway).

So you suggest no ECs? No volunteer work or shadowing? I may have an odd situation but will that be enough to gain entrance to medical school? :confused:

If so, I'm DEFINITELY okay just tutoring. :)

Thanks again!

Curtis