What do I need to do?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

AnnJ716

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
Right now, I have three more semesters of school. I already have 150 credit hours because I changed my major a lot the first time I was in college. I took a three year break and joined the Army and made it to SGT before I got a scholarship to go back to school for nursing. I changed my major to pre-med last semester. I plan to take the MCAT in May.

cGPA: 3.77
sGPA: 3.86

I have been volunteering with Habitat for Humanity. I have not done any shadowing as of yet. I am involved in ROTC, the pre-professional honor society, and the biological science honor society on my campus. I am also part of the Women's Initiative group and a member of Phi Kappa Phi. SO far (fingers crossed), I have only made one B since I started college again and have brought my GPA from a 3.22 to the 3.77. I am helping a professor with a lab class next semester. After I graduate, I plan to return to the military as an Army doctor. I don't know what out of that actually matters.

What do I need to do to improve my chances? How much shadowing do I need? Will helping the professor help my application? Does it matter that I have not done shadowing throughout my college career even though I just changed my major last semester?

Members don't see this ad.

Last edited:
You're doing fine academically. You'll need patient contact volunteer experience, and definitely some shadowing. Research is OK, but unless ypu're applying to places like Stanford, it's not a major thing.

Now go rock that MCAT! good luck

Right now, I have three more semesters of school. I already have 150 credit hours because I changed my major a lot the first time I was in college. I took a three year break and joined the Army and made it to SGT before I got a scholarship to go back to school for nursing. I changed my major to pre-med last semester. I plan to take the MCAT in May.

cGPA: 3.77
sGPA: 3.86

I have been volunteering with Habitat for Humanity. I have not done any shadowing as of yet. I am involved in ROTC, the pre-professional honor society, and the biological science honor society on my campus. I am also part of the Women's Initiative group and a member of Phi Kappa Phi. SO far (fingers crossed), I have only made one B since I started college again and have brought my GPA from a 3.22 to the 3.77. I am helping a professor with a lab class next semester. After I graduate, I plan to return to the military as an Army doctor. I don't know what out of that actually matters.

What do I need to do to improve my chances? How much shadowing do I need? Will helping the professor help my application? Does it matter that I have not done shadowing throughout my college career even though I just changed my major last semester?