What do medical schools really want?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Pinkertinkle

2003 Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
After reading some Dale Carnegie, I'm going to follow his advice and think about what others want. So what is it that medical schools want in an applicant? (we know some want high numbers, but what else?)

Members don't see this ad.

I *heart* me some DC. Book's like a billion years old, but still awesome! :D

Agreed. Somewhat common sense, but common sense ain't all that common.

I think medical schools want money. Give money, get school named after you. If they can't have that, I think they want students that will pass the USMLE and get into good residencies, so that they can tell the other schools and future students how good they are. And they also want federal research money, but that sorta falls under my first point.

We are left to guess and beg.

Good luck.

dc

bigdan said:
Agreed. Somewhat common sense, but common sense ain't all that common.

I think medical schools want money. Give money, get school named after you. If they can't have that, I think they want students that will pass the USMLE and get into good residencies, so that they can tell the other schools and future students how good they are. And they also want federal research money, but that sorta falls under my first point.

We are left to guess and beg.

Good luck.

dc
Haha! Agreed. :thumbup: Donate a couple hundred mil, and your chances for admission are way above average. :laugh: