What do people do with their MD/PhDs?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Rai

15+ Year Member
Reaction score
I?m an undergrad sophomore at U of KY and am trying to decide whether the MSTP is right for me, or if I would be better off with just MD. I have always been interested in the MD, and I have been in a research lab (Chemistry) since my first semester, but most of it has been in environmental research?just recently I have started on a project with vaccines, and it has perked my interest in Pharmacology. I guess my major apprehension about the MSTP program is the availability of a job once I get out. Is this a valid concern or should I just not worry about it? I?m not really interested in being in a solely university environment, but would perhaps like to pursue a job in ?the industry.? Any advice would be much appreciated.
Thanks.

Members don't see this ad.

Not only can you do both everything an MD can and a PhD can, but the combined degree often makes you more competitive for any given position (all else being equal), including clinical positions (residency), academic positions (faculty), funding (grants) and the industry.

In fact, if anything, this is one of the major benefits of a combined degree, and not something you will have going against you.

Having said all this, I feel it's a lousy reason to pursue an MD/PhD - but I'm still young and idealistic. :D

Members don't see this ad :)
I'm currently doing a lab rotation in the pharmacology department (considering it for my PhD Lab), and trust me, the training that I'm receiving to develop new drugs/therapies is giving me the feeling as though I can startup, and run my own biotech firm from start to phase 3 clinical trials.

Pretty Bitchen so far if you ask me. Lot's of flexibility if you do the clinical research oriented residency route. :thumbup:

SaltySqueegee said:
I'm currently doing a lab rotation in the pharmacology department (considering it for my PhD Lab), and trust me, the training that I'm receiving to develop new drugs/therapies is giving me the feeling as though I can startup, and run my own biotech firm from start to phase 3 clinical trials.

Wooow...now thats a hard-core rotation dude! :laugh: Right on.

Rai said:
I?m not really interested in being in a solely university environment, but would perhaps like to pursue a job in ?the industry.?

Based on this tiny glimpse of your situation, perhaps the question you should be asking yourself is why you want the MD.

Havarti666, PhD (2001), MD (2005)

Gfunk6 said:
The vast majority of MSTPers do research-oriented residencies upon graduation. Often in highly competitive institutions.

Gfunk (or anyone else with advice),

Doing a research-oriented residency is what I hope to do if I can enter/graduate from an MST program. At least from my limited experience. However, should I say this in the md/phd essays and/or the interview? From what I can gather (from reading these threads and official websites), it seems the direction that the program is intended for is basic science research. What exactly do they expect you to say are your long-term goals? I am interested in this program (md/phd) for two reasons. First, I love what I have learned about the field of medicine. And second, but most importantly, I love research. I don't know where that will lead me, but I do not want to make the wrong impressions.

I have tried to search for the answer to this question on the forum, but no luck. If it has already been discussed ad nauseum, please direct me where to look.

Thank you.

As a person at the tail end of an MSTP (after what seems like an eternity), I think AdComs will take whatever you say with a grain of salt.

In straight-MD programs there are always students who are dedicated to one speciality, be it psychiatry or surgery, even before they start. By the end, their choices have invariably changed. How much more is this true of MD/PhD students! After 6-8 years, who knows what could develop? From my own personal experience, I threw quite a wide net when I started, deciding that "Oncology" was my thing.

However, now that I have finished my PhD an re-entered clinicals I feel that my resolve is being tested by the myriad opportunites offered by each academic clinical department.

The bottom line of this, I guess, is throw a wide net. Convince AdComs that you are dedicated to academic medicine in some capacity. I think that must be enough to convince them, because few people can seriously predict their exact destination at the end of an MSTP before they even enter the front door.

Gfunk6 said:
As a person at the tail end of an MSTP (after what seems like an eternity), I think AdComs will take whatever you say with a grain of salt.

In straight-MD programs there are always students who are dedicated to one speciality, be it psychiatry or surgery, even before they start. By the end, their choices have invariably changed. How much more is this true of MD/PhD students! After 6-8 years, who knows what could develop? From my own personal experience, I threw quite a wide net when I started, deciding that "Oncology" was my thing.

However, now that I have finished my PhD an re-entered clinicals I feel that my resolve is being tested by the myriad opportunites offered by each academic clinical department.

The bottom line of this, I guess, is throw a wide net. Convince AdComs that you are dedicated to academic medicine in some capacity. I think that must be enough to convince them, because few people can seriously predict their exact destination at the end of an MSTP before they even enter the front door.

I agree with Gfunk here...6-8 years is a long time where one inevitably changes personally and in terms of professional goals. In terms of what to say at interviews or essays, stick to general goals such as your interest in academic medicine. That should suffice. You don't need to go into specifics like saying, "I would like to do an Infectious Disease fellowship after completing a short-track internal medicine program." Doing so could likely make you appear narrow-minded with tunnel vision to the admissions committee.

Interviews are tough...applicants try to say something unique to distinguish themselves from the next guy. That's fine but being too detailed and specific in terms of career goals (you can think that in your mind, but you don't have to preach it) may raise eyebrows. I would just focus on your previous experiences leading up to your application. Communicate that with passion and fire! Show them that you truly enjoy clinical medicine or research (preferably you want to say both if you're applying to MD/PhD :) ). I've personally talked to many MSTP applicants here over the years. Stating general things isn't a bad thing but everyone will put their unique twist to it because of their own personal experiences. And personally, I do raise an eyebrow when people have very specific plans and buttonhole themselves into one and only one type of career even before they step through the gates of med school.