What do Primary Care Docs Do All Day?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

LizzyM

the evil queen of numbers
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
oh... my answer was going to be 'primary care..?'

..this article is better..

Members don't see this ad :)
14 full time support staff members plus a part time RN?! It seems like a ton of staff to support 5 doctors.

Maybe they are doing split shifts or are part time or something.

Anyone else read this and think: "Is this really all I have to do to get published in NEJM? Tell people what I do all day?"

I know some people write book reviews of vaguely medically related books to get in NEJM

14 full time support staff members plus a part time RN?! It seems like a ton of staff to support 5 doctors.

Maybe they are doing split shifts or are part time or something.

Four physicians with 3.5 support staff per doc works out to 14 full time equivalents in the office. It is rather astounding, isn't it?

and LOL about the comment about the ease of being published in NEJM... this was actualy a rather involved analysis based on electronic medical records.

On second thought, i decided to remove my comment....carry on...

Last edited:
and LOL about the comment about the ease of being published in NEJM... this was actualy a rather involved analysis based on electronic medical records.

It definitely has some good analysis, but the gruntwork could've been done by a pre-med over a summer. I'm sure pre-meds would pay a salary to do that work if you dangle the NEJM carrot infront of them.

similar to what I saw shadowing a PCP but w/o the e-mail. My guy didn't want to get involved in what he called "a mess just waiting to happen"

...i guess he was talking about confidentiality mixed with allocating more of his time to a computer and patients